A small thank you..... (pics)

Options
120weeks
120weeks Posts: 242 Member
A year ago today was significant to me because it was the day that I started doing my research. I didn’t want to just lose weight but I wanted to keep it off. After 24 years of being obese, I really had reached a point where I was ready to change but I wanted to do it the right way. I didn’t want to yo-yo anymore. I weighed 275 pounds then.

FcskRmB.jpg

I wanted to see what other successful people on MFP had done to keep the weight off, so I entered the forums for the first time. I began to see a trend as I did my searches and read the forums.

Many of the men that were posting had shirtless avatars. Many of the women were in sports bras. I was curious about this. It didn’t take me long to realize that not everyone on here was obese like me and trying to lose weight. A lightbulb in my head went off when I realized MFP wasn’t "only" a weight loss site. These advice givers were taking time to talk to people "like me” about ways to optimize my fitness! In fact, many had previously been obese. I couldn’t ignore this.

I realized then that I didn’t want to just be UNFAT anymore (which was my goal in all prior weight loss attempts). I wanted to be FIT! A fire was lit inside me and I really tried to talk myself into believing that I could do this.

In addition to the resources I found on MFP in my search, I also found a bodybuilding site and I plugged in my stats. I clicked on a picture of the healthy body type that I could only dream about. Well, it told me that it would take me 120 weeks to look like that girl.

…….yeah, that was rough. But after I paused on that, I thought….well, the computer generator didn’t tell me it was IMPOSSIBLE!

p034p6H.jpg

So, I got to work. I made a plan. And I’ve stuck with it.

dfphQev.jpg

I wanted to come here to at say thank you to the men and women who take time to educate on the MFP forums. Thank you for changing my mind. Thank you for helping me dismantle all I thought I knew about losing weight. Thank you for showing me that the there are many ways to fix all the things I thought I failed at. For teaching me the difference between weight loss and fat loss, the importance of muscle mass preservation, and most especially for teaching me that even the “fittest” still have to make daily choices to stay there. For showing me that this will never end, so let's just all have fun!..... as we keep going and as we keep living life. An even larger and heartfelt thanks to my MFP family who’ve truly been there for me in every sense. Some of these friends let me in early on and haven't let me go. Others are newer but so much fun. I love my support system….each and every single one of you who take a moment each day to make me smile. I appreciate you because you are the best parts of my "big picture". And the biggest thanks of all goes to my husband who has loved me at each phase of my life since we’ve been together. I think he is really enjoying this phase of my life the best, though :heart:

If you have any questions, feel free to message me. If you want to read more of my story, especially my challenging and emotional struggles over the year, you can read more at 120weeks.wordpress.com. I just “came out” to my family and FB friends about this blog that I’ve been keeping for a year under the radar. I was just really scared about not being successful at this but I’m realizing I am absolutely successful because I SHOW UP every day. I show up at the gym. I show up to log food. I show up to treat myself kindly every day by saying, “You are not perfect and no one expects you to be”. This isn’t about losing weight. It’s about changing my life and 52 weeks in a row of consistently making improvements and being aware of how choices affect me HAS changed my life.

Y2agDXB.jpg

120 weeks isn’t a milestone to hit. It isn't a goal. There won't be an award for me at the end. I didn't realize it until recently, but... 120 weeks was just a key to opening the door of what is possible.

Thanks for reading.

Here is my plan:
I eat about 1900 cals a day and I wear a fitbit with a goal to burn 2400 calories a day. Basically, I eat enough to lose 1 pound a week. I strive to eat at least 130 grams of protein a day. I do a high intensity stairmill warm-up 5 days a week for 10 minutes followed by a 40-50 minute weightlifting routine targeting individual muscle groups. A couple of times a week, I go to a boxing gym for a 30 minute workout. On the weekends (usually rest days), I do fun things with my family to hit my fitbit goal such as hiking, a long walk, dancing, etc. I’m a mom of two and work outside of the home. A few hours a week just for me hasn’t been a sacrifice to my family. They reap the benefits of my boundless energy and enthusiasm for living. There is no magic in the plan. The magic happens every day when I look at the mirror and look into my heart and see progress. I wholeheartedly believe that anyone can be fit. But they have to learn true patience first. At any given moment you have the power to say that this is not how your story is going to end.

Replies

• RunningTowardsFit
    Options
    I am so proud of you! You really look great and I am so glad we are friends :)
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    And a huge thank you to you for sharing your story. I really enjoyed reading it, and found so many things in it to think about and take away. You look fantastic, too.

I identify with the realisation that what I want is to be fit, not just unfat. I don't have as much weight to lose, but I have just as much work to do on my attitude. This is a really inspiring post, thanks
  • karabff
    karabff Posts: 98
    Options
    just amazing thanks so much for sharing
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    you. are. incredible.
    wow. <3
  • Dollymaker
    Dollymaker Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story; I love it! You look AMAZING!!!
  • donnadavies72
    donnadavies72 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story, Thank you so much for sharing it gives me hope that I can lose weight, get fit and keep it all off.
    x
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for your wise epiphany! You're way ahead of me but we're on the same journey. I'll never make a marathon, but I will see success none the less.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    You are pure inspiration. I'm so lucky to call you a friend.
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    So beautifully written. Thanks for keeping it real and being a positive part of my day. Rawrrrr!:flowerforyou:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I love this. Very well written. Congrats!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I think I.... no. Scratch that! I KNOW I love you!! You are sooooo inspirational to me, you have no idea! Your positivity and fantastic attitude are so refreshing, and I love how motivated you are. I am so happy to have you on my FL! I know we both live in the same town, and I hope I get to meet you in person one day (you're just THAT fantastic!)! :bigsmile:
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    A beautiful story from a beautiful woman. Thank you for sharing what is "possible".
  • rcaruthie
    rcaruthie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am so very inspired by your story and your zest for living a fit ilfe. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Congratulations on the new you...I am hoping to be right behind you as I have had the same feelings lately.

Thank YOU!
  • Cariñosita
    Cariñosita Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration and how awesome of you to take the time to thank the people on mfp for their part in your journey. I very much enjoyed your story and was truly inspired. Thank you.
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Your post brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye. I am so proud of you and I don't even know you! You are an inspiration to those around you.

P.S. I love that you box! I do it too!:laugh:
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    This is a great story! Thank you for sharing!!!
  • shakey68
    shakey68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Amazing blog. Thanks for posting and the inspiration.
  • kegbail
    kegbail Posts: 47
    Options
    Very inspiring.....THANK YOU! I was feeling down on myself today. I did make myself do my workout routine for 45 min this afternoon. Now I'm sitting down to plug in my workout information. Your story has inspired me to keep on going. Thank you for that. You look GREAT!
  • meganstick
    meganstick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Beautifully written. Feel honored to count you as a friend and have been so blessed to have you come into my life when you did. You played a big part in my "aha" moment about finally losing weight and knowing this time it was a lifestyle change and not a diet. You look amazing and have the best attitude. Thanks for your support and advice.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I can't even express myself right now. Just commenting to keep this close. Absolutely unequivocally phenomenal.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!