What do you track and why?

Options
I am trying to figure out what to set my food diary at to track things. I was tracking fiber and iron, but decided that maybe I should be tracking sodium. I would like to monitor more than just calories but I am unsure what is most important.
Also, I have been following myfitnesspal suggestion for carbs/protein/fat, but have found I need more protein to not feel tired. What do you find the best percents to set these at?

Replies

• aarikadanielle
    Options
    Definitely keep track of your macro nutrients (Protein, Carbs, and Fats) those 3 are the most important!!! I also track Sugar even though I mostly go over everyday because I eat alot of fruit and I track my sodium! Hope this helps.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i track iron and fiber in addition to the basics (protein, fat, carbs) per the advice of my nutritionist/trainer
  • Queenofthezoo
    Queenofthezoo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input so far.
    And Bump
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I track the basics (Fats, carbs and protein) as well as fiber and sodium. I find I can have a great day calorie-wise and still gain because of excess sodium levels.
  • Katia_Quesadilla
    Katia_Quesadilla Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with aarika that your macros are important to track. I also track my fiber and sugar (even though I will never be under my sugar limit, so I don't know why I bother).
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    I track calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber and sodium.
    Calories-obvious :)
    I want to make sure I'm not having too many carbs or fat.
    I want to make sure I'm getting enough lean protein and fiber.
    Also, I want to monitor my sodium intake since that can cause water retention.

I don't always closely monitor all that stuff every single day, but I like to look at the week overall and see when I've gone over, what I ate and how it effects my weight loss or lack thereof.