Replies

• etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Pink slime? lol

Funny food hypocrisy
    By: J. Justin Wilson
    Newspaper: The Washington Times

Who could be in favor of eating “pink slime” or “bug juice”? Those are the clever hooks adopted by activist food snobs who raised ill-conceived firestorms about lean beef trimmings and cochineal red food dye.

Now that America has had a moment to recover from the sensationalism, it’s time to take a more sober look at the facts behind these slime campaigns. Contrary to the overhyped reports, lean beef trimmings make meals healthier, safer, cost-efficient and less animal-intensive. Cochineal food dyes, while derived from bugs, are actually all-natural replacements for artificial colors.

Right off the bat, the emphasis was on beef trimmings’ “yuck factor,” spurred along by a chorus of food snobs like cookbook author and columnist Mark Bittman, who urged the government on Twitter to outlaw lean beef trimmings on school lunch trays. Other activists who want meat off your plate, cream out of your coffee and leather off of your feet hyped up a campaign to get the all-natural dye out of Starbucks coffee drinks. Playing on fashionable prejudices against “processed food,” these people hoped to turn the “yuck factor” into an irrational boycott.

Because trimmings gross out gourmands and bug-derived dyes offend vegans, they feel themselves entitled to take the products away from consumers and even shutter the businesses that provide them.

But in slamming modern methods of food processing, these pundits can ironically contradict their philosophy’s own principles: making food safer, healthier and less animal-intensive.

Beef trimmings are just that: the trimmings left on the bone after primary cuts of beef are butchered. As any butcher will tell you, people have used and eaten trimmings in sausages and hamburger for centuries. Thanks to contemporary innovations, processors now have ways to remove the fat. That’s right: Some of the same food activists who paint Americans as fatty food addicts have turned around and decried a process that makes the oft-maligned hamburger leaner.

What about the safe, germ-killing treatment with ammonium hydroxide that also has come under criticism? The anti-germ process is actually widely used, in foods ranging from cheese to baked goods to chocolate candies.

Where’s the outrage? Nowhere – because ammonium hydroxide is used as an anti-bacterial agent that actually makes our food supply safer.

When it comes to lean beef trimmings, foodies are schizophrenic. On one hand, they generally lament that American farmers raise too many animals for food. Yet the same industries they tar are constantly researching and developing new ways to get more food out of the animals we eat.

By efficiently using more meat from each cow, lean beef trimmings sustainably reduce our environmental impact and our slaughter rates. Ridding trimmings from school lunches alone means food pundits are signing a death warrant for 10,000 cows, the number needed to replace the meat that otherwise might be thrown out. Eliminate trimmings on a nationwide basis, and one estimate says we’ll need to slaughter an additional 1.5 million cows a year.

Food snobs who make a living complaining about modern food processing are thrilled by the speed at which the attack on beef trimmings has gone viral on the Internet. Unfortunately, propaganda that passes for information moves so fast today that experts are handicapped getting the truth out. Meanwhile, rash decisions already have been made. Major supermarket chains, fearing a swift and ignorant reprisal, have announced that they will stop using lean beef trimmings.

It’s often said that a lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. The distance traveled by bad information goes much farther and faster today.

J. Justin Wilson is senior research analyst at the Center for Consumer Freedom.

Love this!! I'm copying it into my blog :) Thank ya!

you go! xxo!
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    i try and get a happy meal :) i really don"t need all the large sizes so it curbs the craving, and my kids love the extra toy
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, but I like the fries.

the fries aren't vegetarian.

Nope, they are covered in beef fat or some other revolting ****e :laugh:
    This is true. They cook the fries in the fat which comes off of the hamburgers during cooking. That is their secret to the fries having a unique flavor they say. They are not vegetarian.

My last visit to a McDisgusting was in 1991 *shudder*
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    It's not McD's but I'm already planning out dinner for Thursday and it's going to be 900 calories of Taco Bell.

Take me!!!!!

Pick you up at 8:30.

I'm ready for you now, babe.

Damn girl. Slow ya roll.

okaaaaaaaayyyyyyy...
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    McDonalds hamburgers just smell like smelly socks to me... They have a very specific and strong odor ...

Now their fries on the other hand... Are the best freaking thing on the planet...
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Pink slime? lol

Funny food hypocrisy
    By: J. Justin Wilson
    Newspaper: The Washington Times

Who could be in favor of eating “pink slime” or “bug juice”? Those are the clever hooks adopted by activist food snobs who raised ill-conceived firestorms about lean beef trimmings and cochineal red food dye.

Now that America has had a moment to recover from the sensationalism, it’s time to take a more sober look at the facts behind these slime campaigns. Contrary to the overhyped reports, lean beef trimmings make meals healthier, safer, cost-efficient and less animal-intensive. Cochineal food dyes, while derived from bugs, are actually all-natural replacements for artificial colors.

Right off the bat, the emphasis was on beef trimmings’ “yuck factor,” spurred along by a chorus of food snobs like cookbook author and columnist Mark Bittman, who urged the government on Twitter to outlaw lean beef trimmings on school lunch trays. Other activists who want meat off your plate, cream out of your coffee and leather off of your feet hyped up a campaign to get the all-natural dye out of Starbucks coffee drinks. Playing on fashionable prejudices against “processed food,” these people hoped to turn the “yuck factor” into an irrational boycott.

Because trimmings gross out gourmands and bug-derived dyes offend vegans, they feel themselves entitled to take the products away from consumers and even shutter the businesses that provide them.

But in slamming modern methods of food processing, these pundits can ironically contradict their philosophy’s own principles: making food safer, healthier and less animal-intensive.

Beef trimmings are just that: the trimmings left on the bone after primary cuts of beef are butchered. As any butcher will tell you, people have used and eaten trimmings in sausages and hamburger for centuries. Thanks to contemporary innovations, processors now have ways to remove the fat. That’s right: Some of the same food activists who paint Americans as fatty food addicts have turned around and decried a process that makes the oft-maligned hamburger leaner.

What about the safe, germ-killing treatment with ammonium hydroxide that also has come under criticism? The anti-germ process is actually widely used, in foods ranging from cheese to baked goods to chocolate candies.

Where’s the outrage? Nowhere – because ammonium hydroxide is used as an anti-bacterial agent that actually makes our food supply safer.

When it comes to lean beef trimmings, foodies are schizophrenic. On one hand, they generally lament that American farmers raise too many animals for food. Yet the same industries they tar are constantly researching and developing new ways to get more food out of the animals we eat.

By efficiently using more meat from each cow, lean beef trimmings sustainably reduce our environmental impact and our slaughter rates. Ridding trimmings from school lunches alone means food pundits are signing a death warrant for 10,000 cows, the number needed to replace the meat that otherwise might be thrown out. Eliminate trimmings on a nationwide basis, and one estimate says we’ll need to slaughter an additional 1.5 million cows a year.

Food snobs who make a living complaining about modern food processing are thrilled by the speed at which the attack on beef trimmings has gone viral on the Internet. Unfortunately, propaganda that passes for information moves so fast today that experts are handicapped getting the truth out. Meanwhile, rash decisions already have been made. Major supermarket chains, fearing a swift and ignorant reprisal, have announced that they will stop using lean beef trimmings.

It’s often said that a lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its shoes on. The distance traveled by bad information goes much farther and faster today.

J. Justin Wilson is senior research analyst at the Center for Consumer Freedom.

Love this!! I'm copying it into my blog :) Thank ya!

Right. I knew I was forgetting something in my sons lunch. It was the ammonium hydroxide. Can't believe he made it through the day without it. What kind of mother am I.
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

This is true. They cook the fries in the fat which comes off of the hamburgers during cooking. That is their secret to the fries having a unique flavor they say. They are not vegetarian.

This is not true, the fries are cooked in 100% vegetable oils. There used to be animal fats in them years ago but that is a thing of the distant past.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about it lately. The funny thing is, in the last five years I've only been there once, and that was in Japan. And that was before I gave a flying rats behind about calories. I just did not like it, did not like that fast food smell and could not bring myself to eat it.

Now, after a month of clean living, I want it.
    I mean a cosi salad is 600 calories and I can get a crispy fried chicken for that.
    Egg McMuffin is only 300? My breakfast of yogurt, nuts and fruit is over that (really, take a look).
    Small fries are only 230??? That's crazy.

I'd certainly feel a lot more full eating there. But is it crazy?

An Egg McMuffin is a single fresh egg, an English muffin, a piece of ham, and a slice of cheese. What on earth could be wrong with that?
    Correct that this is the healthiest choice for breakfast (I think). I don't eat pig though, bc they remind me of dogs. The bread is taboo for me, bc it processes as a sugar. The cheese is dairy which makes me feel congested, plus animals are abused and that goes into the cheese and then into my body. Just give me the egg.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    I reallly want their french fries right now....... damn....no here in Belize. :cry:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Well we have established that you are scared and intimidated by lists I guess ;)

when it comes to the things I put in my body, yes I am. :)

again, doing it once and a while ain't gonna hurt you, so OP if you're still reading (ugh I hope not for your sake) then yes. Go for it. Why not?

It's making this kind of a thing a habit that will have long term negative consequences (specifically from the amount of sodium - more than even the fat or cholesterol - that can lead to artery constricting heart problems, even if you choose lower cal options)

Can you cite your sources for me? Specifically the long term effects of mcdonalds vs foods prepared at home while keeping overall calorie consumption equal?

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    > 1 year of consecutive logging
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

When I get on a computer ill give you a study of high levels of sodium on heart health.

Please make sure it is strictly sodium and not elevated blood pressure. Not everyone who consumes high amounts of sodium suffers from high blood pressure.

Low sodium diets - increased mortality rates: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23420258

In people already experiencing heart failure! And thats compared to a normal sodium diet, which is normal for a reason! We need sodium! What a poorly picked study.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I can go to Longhorn Steakhouse and not even cheat. They have fantastic meals under 550 calories.
    I'm having a full on craving! I'll go for lunch tomorrow. Have a cheeseburger (300) and small fries (230). Or a single crispy chicken ranch BLT. (540)

Who am I turning into? I used to be too snobby for junk food :o
    But they post calories, and places I would love to go to for a cheat meal don't!!!! *sobs*
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to avoid getting bogged down in this forum and trying to answer all the bogus information there is about McDonald's out there. I'll just say that I eat there 1 or 2 meals per day, 5 days a week and I've managed to lose 2 inches off my waist and thirty pounds since January 7th of 2013.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options

This is not true, the fries are cooked in 100% vegetable oils. There used to be animal fats in them years ago but that is a thing of the distant past.
    All be dang, you are correct. I just Googled it and found an article by ABC News who interviewed McDonald's. Article was written only 5 mos ago. It IS NOW 100% vegetable oil and no animal fat.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    Well we have established that you are scared and intimidated by lists I guess ;)

again, doing it once and a while ain't gonna hurt you, so OP if you're still reading (ugh I hope not for your sake) then yes. Go for it. Why not?

It's making this kind of a thing a habit that will have long term negative consequences (specifically from the amount of sodium - more than even the fat or cholesterol - that can lead to artery constricting heart problems, even if you choose lower cal options)

Can you cite your sources for me? Specifically the long term effects of mcdonalds vs foods prepared at home while keeping overall calorie consumption equal?

Ice cream afficionado
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

When I get on a computer ill give you a study of high levels of sodium on heart health.

Please make sure it is strictly sodium and not elevated blood pressure. Not everyone who consumes high amounts of sodium suffers from high blood pressure.

Low sodium diets - increased mortality rates: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23420258

In people already experiencing heart failure! And thats compared to a normal sodium diet, which is normal for a reason! We need sodium! What a poorly picked study.

It's the iodine we need. ;)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Most of which are actually worse for you than animal fats.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options

Ice cream afficionado
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

We need to use sea salt which contains no iodine.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Ice cream afficionado
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

We get plenty of that in non-salt sources, which is why I use sea salt instead of iodized salt.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I'm trying to avoid getting bogged down in this forum and trying to answer all the bogus information there is about McDonald's out there. I'll just say that I eat there 1 or 2 meals per day, 5 days a week and I've managed to lose 2 inches off my waist and thirty pounds since January 7th of 2013.

Good for you, but you can have poor heart health and be skinny. Hope you dont end up in that boat.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options

Most of which are actually worse for you than animal fats.
    True! Vegetable oil, like margarine is FAKE fat. It is artificial fat and very, very bad for you. One should use REAL oil instead. Such as coconut oil or olive oil. Again, yet ANOTHER reason why I cook at home. I bake my fries from cut up red potatoes with a coating of olive oil and a shake of sea salt.
  • KeRAWRi
    KeRAWRi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    McDonald's = vomit food

Have you seen Super Size Me - the documentary?

Or the experiment with the McD hamburger and fries that has been sitting on a plate for two years without rotting?

Fast food sometimes, go for it. But McD... gross!

I wouldn't be surprised if you did that experiment with any kind of fast food or processed food and the results were the same. It is pretty gross. Moderation though!