McDonalds?

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Just copying my reply from last month. and the month before. and before...

someone said this -
    As an aside, I DO believe that the consumption of fast food has contributed more to the fattening of America than any other foods available to us. I'm a kid of the 70s, and enjoy those TV shows that show clips of people from the 70s, before the "Age of the Mega Golden Arches Monopoly" and we were far, far thinner and healthier than we are now.

Actually the golden age was during the 50s and 60s, by the 70s the golden age of the burger had begun to wane under numerous pressures. Food police demonized it. McDonald's is the largest buyer of beef and has power over the cattle industry, even Schlosser says " the enormous buying power of the fast food giants has given them access to the cleanest ground beef."

Penn State's studies show that youngsters fed large lunches and then offered "junk" food ate a great deal of of that food, while others ate none. What predicted how much they consumed? Whether their parents forbid high-fat, high-sugar foods in their regular diet. Those studies find that when children are told that a food is bad, they assume it must taste good and develop an appetite for it.

...yeah... that all sounds like BS.

buying power = best product? hell no. buying power = cheapest adequate product that they can spin off to make even more profit... how do you think they got all that buying power to BEGIN with? They're not going to suddenly buy high quality meat and gouge their own profits. lol
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Eating at McDonald's?

Apparently, some people have no interest in being "elite".

Besides, everyone knows that fast food calories are a ticking time-bomb of death. I hope that burger is worth the inevitable 5-8+ years you're cutting off of your life.

I would like to know where your statistics come from.. Not going to condone eating McDonalds.. I know its crap food.. but spewing bad statistics is just as bad.. One burger is not going to make you die 5-8 years earlier..

Uh oh, where's that sarcasmometer!:huh:
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Funny - I just had my annual McD treat - a Shamrock Shake. More than 500 calories, but i made room for it. Worth it ... and I don't have to have another one for a year!
  • Shabadu
    Shabadu Posts: 211
    Options
    Eating at McDonald's?

Apparently, some people have no interest in being "elite".

Besides, everyone knows that fast food calories are a ticking time-bomb of death. I hope that burger is worth the inevitable 5-8+ years you're cutting off of your life.

Can't tell if trolling, or idiot.
  • marcuscross104
    marcuscross104 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie, sure but a quarter pounder with cheese is only 540 calories, but it has 26 grams of fat {12g of sat. fat, and 2g of trans. fat}, and 1100mg of salt!

That's a ton!

It may not hurt you occasionally, but pack that in your system too often, and you're begging for trouble!

The only "healthy" thing at Mc'Donalds is their salads {go easy on the dressings}, wraps, and their grilled chicken {still high in salt and fat, but decent calories}!
  • addiepray80
    addiepray80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did not read everyone's posts so maybe this has already been addressed, but I think you'd feel more full for about 20 minutes. I believe there is little to no nutritional content in basicly any fast food. Plus sooo much sodium and FAT! I mean, if you have a craving, go for it... but seriously not a good lifestyle change to START eating McDonalds IMO. How is that going to fuel your body; it makes me feel like crap within hours for sure.

Eat good healthy food; your body will thank you! :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just enter the fat content in your diary and it will stop you right there. But yeah if you eat fat free for the rest of the day, sure, why not.

What I've had at McDonald's since I started logging is 1) classic grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo (it wasn't even that good), 2) caesar chicken salad with grilled chicken and low fat Italian dressing. And frankly they at least have a couple options, not like Burger King and Wendy's.

Now, the fresco tacos from Taco Bell... on nom.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

someone said this -
    As an aside, I DO believe that the consumption of fast food has contributed more to the fattening of America than any other foods available to us. I'm a kid of the 70s, and enjoy those TV shows that show clips of people from the 70s, before the "Age of the Mega Golden Arches Monopoly" and we were far, far thinner and healthier than we are now.

Actually the golden age was during the 50s and 60s, by the 70s the golden age of the burger had begun to wane under numerous pressures. Food police demonized it. McDonald's is the largest buyer of beef and has power over the cattle industry, even Schlosser says " the enormous buying power of the fast food giants has given them access to the cleanest ground beef."

Penn State's studies show that youngsters fed large lunches and then offered "junk" food ate a great deal of of that food, while others ate none. What predicted how much they consumed? Whether their parents forbid high-fat, high-sugar foods in their regular diet. Those studies find that when children are told that a food is bad, they assume it must taste good and develop an appetite for it.

buying power = best product? hell no. buying power = cheapest adequate product that they can spin off to make even more profit... how do you think they got all that buying power to BEGIN with? They're not going to suddenly buy high quality meat and gouge their own profits. lol

Wrong. You can read his book, Fast Food Nation, or read chapter 15 in Paradox of Plenty. Or take a course in business 101.
    What is it you're elite in?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

someone said this -

Wrong. You can read his book, Fast Food Nation, or read chapter 15 in Paradox of Plenty. Or take a course in business 101.
    What is it you're elite in?

hey you can believe what you want - but if you think mcdonalds uses high quality beef you're sadly misinformed.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    hey you can believe what you want - but if you think mcdonalds uses high quality beef you're sadly misinformed.

Please, inform us about the "quality" of beef McDonald's uses. Use some proof please.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    they quit using the pink slime in their burgers just a year ago.

high quality indeed

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/02/01/mcdonalds-announces-end-to-pink-slime-in-burgers/
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    from their website:
    McDonald’s beef comes from cattle corn-fed in the U.S.

corn fed = not highest quality available.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

high quality indeed

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/02/01/mcdonalds-announces-end-to-pink-slime-in-burgers/

And today...?
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    It is very hard to taste things when you are dead...just sayin.

I love me some Mickey D's cookies and smoothies!

You only live once, so I recommend you do it! support the cattle business!
  • Dawnymaries
    Dawnymaries Posts: 109
    Options
    I find that the less junk food I eat, the more I think about and crave it. On the other hand, if I'm eating it all the time, I feel like crap and I hate it and don't even enjoy it. As long as it's just a rare treat, just get rid of that craving. Eat it. lol
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I'd certainly feel a lot more full eating there. But is it crazy?

Something that always haunted me about eating there even decades ago is I never felt like I had eaten enough! I was always hungry after I ate there. Talking Small to large fries, quarter pounder cheeseburger and a diet soda. Since I've learned about healthy eating I now realize I was never full ( despite the S---load of calories) because the food is seriously lacking in nutritional value! But....or shall I say "butt", to each his own! = D
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    It is very hard to taste things when you are dead...just sayin.

I love me some Mickey D's cookies and smoothies!

You only live once, so I recommend you do it! support the cattle business!

ugh - the cattle business is one of the biggest contributors to global warming and environmental destruction, and the things they do to the cows is just gut-wrenchingly disgusting.

free range? go for it. factory farming cattle industry? just awful.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

high quality indeed

And today...?

today they use 100% beef - which means all of it comes from a cow... in some way shape or form.

I'm just saying that if a year ago they were willing to use pink slime... that doesn't really scream "company trying their hardest to buy the 'cleanest' beef on the market"
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    from their website:

How does McDonald's use their power? They are the largest buyer of beef in the U.S.. They have inordinate influence over the cattle industry.

Once again, how are you elite?
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    from their website:

How does McDonald's use their power? They are the largest buyer of beef in the U.S.. They have inordinate influence over the cattle industry.

Once again, how are you elite?

right... they want to make sure the product costs them as little as possible while avoiding another pink slime PR disaster.