how do I stop bingeing?

Options

Replies

• hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    You should be able to up your protein with greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. Do you eat nuts or nut butters? You have to lower your carbs. I think for your activity level you are eating too many carbs and too little protein. I have my macro's set at Carb 40%, Protein 30% and fat 30%.

If the Indian foods that you make and enjoy eating are high carb I would just decrease carbs for the rest of the day. No bread with breakfast or a salad for lunch instead of leftovers.
  • Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/374398-indian-foods-rich-in-protein/

have you fainted before from eating too little?

do you have control over the food in your house ? (are you buying the food or do you live with parents who insist on buying certain food). im aware of my trigger foods, and dont keep them in the house. for example, im aware that if i buy cereal, ill want cereal over other foods, and will eat 3-4x a serving for a meal, and wont be satisfied bc its typically not a filling carb,.

I used to faint a lot in high school. school used to start at 7:45 am so I never had time for a full brekkie :sad: so it got so bad I started eating breakfast no matter what!! and 10 years after leaving high school I am still big on breakfast! I have fainted in the bathroom and that scared the **** outta me.

Healthy food shopping is done by my folks and the snacks shopping is done by me:bigsmile: . Yeah, I live with my parents.I am unemployed,unmarried and its usually not encouraged out here even though I am from Mumbai
  • Reema_capricorn
    Options
    you wont faint, i once fasted (for personal holy reasons) for a week. I was going to keep going but at that point I rode a bike 10-40 miles a day and feared I would faint on my bike.... so I ended the fast. the point is you wont faint unless you have a medical issue which might cause you to do so.... speak with a doctor about your diet if that will give you the confidence you need to be successful with your diet

I got diabetes running in my family thats why its impossible for me to go without food and water. I have grown up seeing my dad and my grandma poking needles in their body and that made me clean up my act and take to working out!! its just going hungry drives people in my family crazy and my parents never stocked the fridge with ice cream and chocolate coz they didn't want me on insulin
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    theres a huge gap between fainting because you didnt eat anything and eating a huge carb-loaing breakfast for 500-700+ calories. you could have a filling breakfast for 300 calories, and that will free up several hundred for you to use throughout the day. add more protein to your breakfast - through cottage cheese or whatever you can eat- and go easy on the carbs- maybe 1 pc of bread instead of 3.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs can cause huge dips in blood sugar which may be causing your lightheadedness and hunger. I'm not a fan of low carb diets but unless you are running or engaging in some really intense cardio you don't need 300 grams of carbs a day.
  • MichelleKacz
    Options
    We have all been in the position where we binge eat. The trick, in my opinion, is to train yourself to prepare food in advance and make quality calorie choices. If the body is receiving all its nutrients, you should feel less hungry over time. There is a transition period of course, and until you get there you will have good and bad days on the eating front. Just stick to the basic principals of eating healthily – no refined sugar, no alcohol, no processed food. Eat good carbs (so no white flour products, rather stick to whole grains and sweet potatoes), lean proteins, good fats (these really help keep you feeling fuller for longer), and lots and lots of fresh food (veggie smoothies, salad and soups are great ways to pack in lots of goodness and you can really eat as much of these as you like). Someone once told me if being healthy, strong, slim and fit were easy none of us would have a problem, but it’s not easy for everyone, but always worth the effort in the end. Good luck on your journey, it’s all about taking it one day at a time and you WILL get to your goal. There are loads of people on this site who can help keep you motivated.
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Okay, here comes the honesty: You're Right - It is NOT helping with your weight loss at all! That's nice and all that you "like to wake up to a big breakfast..." I like to eat fudge, and pastries, and drink full fat and sugar lattes... but guess what... I have to remind myself that I like the idea of being healthy more! We "like" lots of things that aren't good for us. Unhealthy food can be psychologically, and in some cases, physiologically addictive! SO - do you want to overcome this? Do you want to look and feel healthier? Because if you do, you are going to have to make some changes! I am not trying to be rude, and I apologize if I'm coming off that way, but I want to be straightforward and honest with you.

If you tell yourself that you are "incapable of portion control," then you are setting yourself up for failure. I'd recommend looking at it as "portion control is difficult for me." Something that is difficult is something that you can overcome. And, you CAN overcome this. But you have to go into it with a mindset that tells you you are capable of making healthier choices.

If you are truly afraid of fainting (do you have a history of fainting?) then let's look at that. You do not have to have "a big breakfast" to avoid fainting. You can have a smaller, more reasonable breakfast (think around 300 calories) that's mostly protein and complex carbs. This breakfast will help keep your blood sugar more stable and make you less likely to get lightheaded. In addition to that breakfast, have two small snacks set aside that you are "allowed" to have if you start feeling light-headed. I'd recommend a tangerine if it seems like you need sugar, and/or maybe a small serving of oats. Even better, a hardboiled egg! This way, you've consumed less calories during breakfast but you have a "safety plan" for if you start feeling lightheaded. And, even if you end up using both of those snacks, you haven't eaten anything horrible. This might help you control your breakfast eating, if you know you have plans in place for the fainting issue... and to speak bluntly, it takes away your ability to use "fear of fainting" as an excuse for eating a calorie-laden breakfast.

You are unemployed and so snack throughout the day... I can see how easy that would be to do - I tend to over-eat (and on unhealthy things) when I don't have much to do. The best way to combat this is to #1 make yourself drink 8-16oz of water and wait 10 minutes before snacking when you feel like you want to snack (often our body is thirsty but we interpret it as hunger and snack needlessly) and #2 find activities to do! If being bored is a trigger for eating... then address the boredom! If the weather is decent, go for walks. LONG walks. With a water bottle in each hand (that way you get a little light-weight weight training with the water bottles in addition to keeping hydrated!). So long as you're out walking, you can't reach in the cupboard for unhealthy food. And as a bonus, walking is good for you :-) Sit down and make a huuuge list of all the non-eating-related things that you enjoy doing. Make sure most of them are budget friendly (ex: paint nails, read a book, go for a walk, call a friend, draw a picture, write a letter, go to the pet store and check out cute animals... etc etc). When you're bored and feel like binging, drink some water, pop some gum in your mouth to address the "wanting to chew something" feeling, pull out your list, and do something on it! Seriously, this "boredom-busting list" can be super helpful.

You are here, on this board, having the courage to post all of this... so, try and apply that courage to honestly tracking everything you eat. Sometimes it's harsh and disappointing, that is true... but remember, no one is perfect, and no one can be perfect... but we can at any time choose to make a positive change and get headed back in the right direction! Good luck!

That's right. I like to wake up to a big breakfast but I am incapable of portion control and I am afraid to eat less because I have a fear of fainting :sad: which is not helping with my weight loss at all and I am also unemployed so I keep snacking on stuff throughout the day and that makes me upset at the end of the day ans sometimes I don't list the things I eat out of embarassment.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    This is what I would do if I were you. Eat a little less rice and potatoes, and try adding more vegetables. They will fill you up without all the calories, and will keep you full longer. I like to cut up whatever veggies I have on hand and put them in the oven with a teaspoon of olive oil and some spices. So I'll have maybe 2 whole cups of veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions, etc, and they keep me full :)
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Okay, here comes the honesty: You're Right - It is NOT helping with your weight loss at all! That's nice and all that you "like to wake up to a big breakfast..." I like to eat fudge, and pastries, and drink full fat and sugar lattes... but guess what... I have to remind myself that I like the idea of being healthy more! We "like" lots of things that aren't good for us. Unhealthy food can be psychologically, and in some cases, physiologically addictive! SO - do you want to overcome this? Do you want to look and feel healthier? Because if you do, you are going to have to make some changes! I am not trying to be rude, and I apologize if I'm coming off that way, but I want to be straightforward and honest with you.

If you tell yourself that you are "incapable of portion control," then you are setting yourself up for failure. I'd recommend looking at it as "portion control is difficult for me." Something that is difficult is something that you can overcome. And, you CAN overcome this. But you have to go into it with a mindset that tells you you are capable of making healthier choices.

If you are truly afraid of fainting (do you have a history of fainting?) then let's look at that. You do not have to have "a big breakfast" to avoid fainting. You can have a smaller, more reasonable breakfast (think around 300 calories) that's mostly protein and complex carbs. This breakfast will help keep your blood sugar more stable and make you less likely to get lightheaded. In addition to that breakfast, have two small snacks set aside that you are "allowed" to have if you start feeling light-headed. I'd recommend a tangerine if it seems like you need sugar, and/or maybe a small serving of oats. Even better, a hardboiled egg! This way, you've consumed less calories during breakfast but you have a "safety plan" for if you start feeling lightheaded. And, even if you end up using both of those snacks, you haven't eaten anything horrible. This might help you control your breakfast eating, if you know you have plans in place for the fainting issue... and to speak bluntly, it takes away your ability to use "fear of fainting" as an excuse for eating a calorie-laden breakfast.

You are unemployed and so snack throughout the day... I can see how easy that would be to do - I tend to over-eat (and on unhealthy things) when I don't have much to do. The best way to combat this is to #1 make yourself drink 8-16oz of water and wait 10 minutes before snacking when you feel like you want to snack (often our body is thirsty but we interpret it as hunger and snack needlessly) and #2 find activities to do! If being bored is a trigger for eating... then address the boredom! If the weather is decent, go for walks. LONG walks. With a water bottle in each hand (that way you get a little light-weight weight training with the water bottles in addition to keeping hydrated!). So long as you're out walking, you can't reach in the cupboard for unhealthy food. And as a bonus, walking is good for you :-) Sit down and make a huuuge list of all the non-eating-related things that you enjoy doing. Make sure most of them are budget friendly (ex: paint nails, read a book, go for a walk, call a friend, draw a picture, write a letter, go to the pet store and check out cute animals... etc etc). When you're bored and feel like binging, drink some water, pop some gum in your mouth to address the "wanting to chew something" feeling, pull out your list, and do something on it! Seriously, this "boredom-busting list" can be super helpful.

You are here, on this board, having the courage to post all of this... so, try and apply that courage to honestly tracking everything you eat. Sometimes it's harsh and disappointing, that is true... but remember, no one is perfect, and no one can be perfect... but we can at any time choose to make a positive change and get headed back in the right direction! Good luck!

That's right. I like to wake up to a big breakfast but I am incapable of portion control and I am afraid to eat less because I have a fear of fainting :sad: which is not helping with my weight loss at all and I am also unemployed so I keep snacking on stuff throughout the day and that makes me upset at the end of the day ans sometimes I don't list the things I eat out of embarassment.

I really wish MFP had a like button, because I love everything you said :D
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Not passing judgement, but you have many reasons why you can't succeed, so maybe you don't really want to at this point. Find ways to make things work instead of focussing on why they won't.
  • Reema_capricorn
    Options

this is a divine advice!! All of the advice I got make sense! I know I got problem with carbs and I am using fainting and working out as an excuse to fuel up with bread and rice. My fruit tray is overflowing with apples,oranges and bananas but I still reach out for nachos and noodles which is basically comfort eating. Talking to y'all has made me realise my mistake and I am gonna so make the effort of clean eating and load up on veggies and fruit which are the cheapest anti aging products ever lol ( I am 25 so worried about wrinkles too haha!!)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    stop buying food that you easily binge on.

more than likely that's empty calorie type items that do nothing to keep you full. trust me binging on 1000 calories of gummy bears is much easier than binge eating 1000 calories of chicken, eggs, or berries
  • karenpeb
    karenpeb Posts: 23
    Options
    My husband thinks duct tape fixes everything....yes he is a comedian. He has more than once mentioned he needs to have his mouth taped shut to avoid food temptations. He has a harder time controlling himself than I do.

Food addiction is very hard and nobody can make you stop but you. This video attachment is something I've done a few times myself in order to stop eating something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfk5iseN87k
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you can spread your calories over the day more you won't feel the need to binge.

As others have said a 300 calorie breakfast should probably satisfy you. have a mid morning snack.
    Do the same after lunch for a mid afternoon snack.

Maybe to start with just start reducing the amount of bread you are eating. That should give you much more room to eat healthy snacks regularly.

Generally the more regularly you eat the less you need to eat. So 3 meals with 3 snacks should be plenty, just make them regular and don't make anything too big.

You've made a good solid start by logging everything, now it's time to start making the changes you need.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... the only thing that helped me to binge less is planning.
    I plan all my week, even my coffees. Knowing what I'm eating next, helps me not binging. If I do, I'm welcome to change a bit my plan but generally it helps.
  • laceyfowler
    Options

I really wish MFP had a like button, because I love everything you said :D

Thank you :-) I was nervous to send it, because I really don't want to be rude at all, but I did want to share all that I said. I'm glad that it was found to be helpful :-) :-)
  • laceyfowler
    Options

this is a divine advice!! All of the advice I got make sense! I know I got problem with carbs and I am using fainting and working out as an excuse to fuel up with bread and rice. My fruit tray is overflowing with apples,oranges and bananas but I still reach out for nachos and noodles which is basically comfort eating. Talking to y'all has made me realise my mistake and I am gonna so make the effort of clean eating and load up on veggies and fruit which are the cheapest anti aging products ever lol ( I am 25 so worried about wrinkles too haha!!)

Ohhhh I'm so glad you found it helpful :-) I really didn't want to be rude, just honest with you :-) You CAN do this! Oh, one other little bit of advice on the reducing empty calories (rice) and increasing veggies. I loooove curry. Indian curry, Thai curry, Japanese curry... all of it! But I realized that though you can make curry in healthier ways, dumping it on top of rice just isn't good! Soooo... I use grated cauliflower instead. Yup, grated cauliflower! Grate (or finely chop) half a head of cauliflower, and the microwave for like 3-4 minutes, and you'll get a similar texture to rice! Curry is also good over steamed cabbage :-) Both are easy ways to replace the rice - just be careful not to eat tooooo much of the curry. When in doubt... add extra veggies :-)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    start binge exercising.

um,isn' that as bad as binge eating??:noway: anyways, I don't want to overtrain.

i really doubt you'll get to the point where you are worried about over training.

when you want to binge eat, just drop and do a few sets of push ups.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    the thing is with extreme exercise..it is makes some people extremely hungry...and they over eat and then don't lose.

I saw a research doctor being interviewed once who revealed this fact. He said exercise is great for maintaining and keeping weight off..but actually throws most dieters off and keeps them from losing. Controversial I know... but i actually lose better when i don't exercise...or just walk.

give it a try...
  • Reema_capricorn
    Options
    the thing is with extreme exercise..it is makes some people extremely hungry...and they over eat and then don't lose.

I saw a research doctor being interviewed once who revealed this fact. He said exercise is great for maintaining and keeping weight off..but actually throws most dieters off and keeps them from losing. Controversial I know... but i actually lose better when i don't exercise...or just walk.

give it a try...

extremely true!! I used to gym like a maniac at 18 and used to eat whatever I wanted and that over confidence and self satisfaction led to boredom and I put on 23 kgs! and now I don't want to make the same mistake again