Do you weigh every day? Do you fluctuate greatly??

Options
I am just curious about how many of you weigh every day and if so, how much does your weight fluctuate (if at all). I try not to weigh every morning but there is some insane gravitational pull that makes me...but this is what I've noticed. I will fluctuate for about a week anywhere from 1-3 pds every morning....then after a week or two, I'm done a couple of pounds. Thoughts? Be kind. :)

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    When I was a lot heavier, I used to weigh myself daily and it drove me batsh!t crazy. It would go up 3 pounds, down 5 pounds, up 2 pounds, and continue until the same day next week which would be down about a pound. So I started weighing myself every Monday just so I could see that 1-2 pound drop instead of the craziness of what I was seeing before. And during TOM? I don't weigh myself at all that week, unless I am in a contest or challenge and have to.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. Heck, I probably hop on the scale 3-4 times a day. I may have an obsessive personality, but anyway, my weight fluctuates similar to yours.

Though I weigh in excessively, I'm not bothered or discouraged by the fluctuations. I also take measurements and find this has been a great motivator. Plus, I really only 'Weigh in' on MFP once a week, and that number is always going down, so I'm okay with the day-to-day numbers fluctuating.

As for why, I think we all understand that (aside from diet & exercise) water and waste plays a big part in it.

Sounds like you're losing at a great pace, so good job…keep it going!
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I do weigh everyday. Yes I fluctuate but by the time the 7th day rolls around I'm down a little. It doesn't bother me because I know it happens....especially for women.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I am just curious about how many of you weigh every day and if so, how much does your weight fluctuate (if at all). I try not to weigh every morning but there is some insane gravitational pull that makes me...but this is what I've noticed. I will fluctuate for about a week anywhere from 1-3 pds every morning....then after a week or two, I'm done a couple of pounds. Thoughts? Be kind. :)
    Yes I'm trying to weigh at least 5 times a week for the next three months so I can build a database and trend my weight against my weight loss, with the food I eat the calories and what it all does to my mood. I've noticed a 5lb swing in the week, but I'm still trending down and losing so i don't care.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I do weigh every day. I do fluctuate, but I can generally place blame for my weight change on either a new workout, sodium, eating a large volume of food before, or being sick.
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    I do weigh myself daily. The only time it may fluctuate is if I had a higher intake of water/liquids than normal. Fluid weight reflects quickly, but goes away in a day or two after drinking normal amounts.

Good luck!
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    Usually I weigh in at the same time everyday. It gives me motivation to work harder and stay focused. I have an "official" weigh in day once a week where I update my goal weight though. Sometimes it fluctuates alot, depending on whether I splurged the day before or not :-)
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I weigh every day, and thankfully I'm always consistent, unless I go down. I've tried to cut back on my weighing frequency though, it's not good for my mental health :)
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    weigh in once per week. I tend to be obsessive with the scale so I'm limiting myself these days. Otherwise I feel its a way to "not care" about what I eat for the day if I'm up 2 to 5lbs, good luck! Find whats right for you.
  • tgdineen
    tgdineen Posts: 12
    Options
    I do weigh in almost every day or I risk getting distracted from my long-term goals. I don't stress if I go up occasionally as long as overall trend is down.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Although I'm maintaining I weigh every day out of interest.
    Last week my weight range fluctuated by 5.5 pounds (-2, +3.5) but I'm back at my goal weight today.

I only update my weight on here when I think my current range doesn't match my recorded weight over a period of time.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i can fluctuate anything up to 2.5kg in a week, same clothes etc
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday for the purpose of getting weekly and monthly averages. I don't care too much about the fluctuations. Most of the time its just 1-2lbs fluctuations.
  • clperrett
    clperrett Posts: 33
    Options
    I weigh every day and keep a spreadsheet to show the fluctuations :)

My graph looks like a heart beat monitor, constantly up and down but the trend line is on a downward slope :) It used to stress me out but since I have been tracking it on a spreadsheet I am a lot calmer about it... weird I know
  • guzzlingil
    Options
    I do....

not really sure why.....

I fluctuate from 224 or so to about 220....
  • marykpfist
    marykpfist Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. My weight will fluctuate by .25-.5 and go up a little before it goes down.
    My chart is DEFINITELY not a straight line!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day sometimes, but lately when I know I went over on sodium, I make myself avoid it for a few days. Went a whole week recently without weighing because I knew it was unwise ;) Still lost a pound though!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and keep a spreadsheet to show the fluctuations :)

My graph looks like a heart beat monitor, constantly up and down but the trend line is on a downward slope :) It used to stress me out but since I have been tracking it on a spreadsheet I am a lot calmer about it... weird I know
    Ain't No one go time for that https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cachapa.libra&hl=en
  • mudonthetires856
    mudonthetires856 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, but I don't take much stock in the numbers. I can fluctuate between 1-3 pounds from day to day, but I pay more attention to the trends. I do it everyday because I like to see the changes in my body & it's made me learn important things like a very high sodium day will make me retain water & I weigh more the next day. If I start a new lifting routine, my muscles retain water to repair themselves and I will stay at approximately the same weight for a few weeks. During the ToM, I can gain about 5 pounds. None of that bothers me because I've learned why my body does what it does.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I used to, but I don't anymore. Yes, my weight fluctuated throughout the week. Or sometimes it would stay at whatever weight, then on the 7th day, boom. Two pounds (or whatever) gone.

I don't weigh daily because I don't find it helps me in any way. I just exercise, eat right, measure with a tape measure once monthly, and weigh when I feel like it. That's usually monthly as well, though not on any particular schedule.