Beware when offered Help

Options
I love coming here and getting help. Most people are genuinely here to encourage and move us along to our goals. However, that's not everyone. After a recent posting I made about struggling to get back on track, I got a message in my Inbox from someone offering help. They added me to their Facebook and put me in a fitness group on Facebook. It was all great and encouraging! How can I help you? What are your goals? I thought, "This will be nice!" That is until the pitch came. They were selling something. I explained that I either had it or had tried it and didn't want to go that route. The conversation was cordial and I basically said thanks but no thanks I'll just opt for the encouragement.

Two days later when I went into Facebook to write in the fitness group about my achievement for the day, I couldn't find the group. That's weird. Well I'll just go look at their page and link from there...only to realize that the person that was so interested in me and my health and well being had defriended me and taken me out of the group. I was kinda shocked and amazed. They sounded so sincere, but in the end they weren't.

So, just a note to remind you to enjoy all the great motivators and motivation that we get here on MyFitnessPal, but beware of the hawkers who are just tryin to make a buck off of our challenge!

Replies

• PaigeAnderson100
    PaigeAnderson100 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you were let down.
    That has happened to me and it's very sad and discouraging.

Good luck. There are people here who want to sincerely help and I am one of them. You can add me if you'd like.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Stupid on their part. I manage a facebook page for my business and on the selfish side, I know I want as many people on there as possible. And just because they aren't using my services now doesn't mean that they never will, or that they don't have a single friend that might be interested that might stumble onto my page because of that someone.

I'm sorry that happened. There are plenty of encouraging people on here though that aren't just trying to make a buck!
  • fitgirl4x48
    fitgirl4x48 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'd say, be glad you dodged a bullet --imagine if you'd gotten involved. Ugh. Chin up!!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    In the end, you'll need to find strength from yourself to complete this journey. Not from others.

Sorry you were bamboozled though.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I don't like to mix FB friends with MFP friends. I have a few crossovers, but I am not really comfortable with them.
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This happened to me also! He was very encouraging and wanted to help so much - until I said no to the shakes and DVDs. I thought I was nice and explained why I wasnt interested (I want to eat food and I am not ready for some super intense DVD). I have no heard from the person since.

Sad but true. He wanted to just make money off me.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I'm always wary of groups that want to redirect you away from MFP. Remain vigilant.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Did you refuse their Advocare or Shakeolgy or something? That will usually do it for those trolls...
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the other posters. Thats just not right. I have friended a few people on here who sell things. One of them, I did try and despite me telling him I cant stand those products, I'm still fb friends with them, friends with them on here and in the fb group and he still checks on progress every so often.

So you are so right, only keep those whom are willing to encourage, offer healthy good advice, and willing to work with you in a positive manner that you dictate.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Now that I've had significant success I get frequent PMs about making money off of things like that. Lately I just assume everyone is out to sell me something or have me sell something.
  • pdphelps138
    pdphelps138 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me just within a week of joining MFP. I too stated no thank you.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm always wary of groups that want to redirect you away from MFP. Remain vigilant.

Stay the course!
  • aclark316
    aclark316 Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm so sorry that happened to you!!! totally uncool. If you are still looking for added support I would love for you to find me on fb. I have a page called: Mandy Clark - Committed. I have a challenge group starting up in April if you'd be interested....and it's totally free. I am just doing this to help encourage people to reach their own personal goals. :)
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the warning and I am sorry you got treated like that.

This should be a forum for support and encouragement, cheering our successes and refocusing when we fail. This is a journey to a healthier "us" and shouldn't be taken advantage of.

Feel free to friend
  • AdrieneJ
    AdrieneJ Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warning. I think this will help a lot of people. Most people bury their head in the sand when this sort of thing happens, but you were brave enough to come and tell us about it.

You are doing so great with your weight loss. Congratulations on your strength and dedication.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    there are some good groups here where no-one's selling anything and they have great advice. If you haven't seen it already, there's an "in place of a road map" thread, which tells you how to calculate the right amount of calories for your body, so you can lose weight the slow and steady way.... there's a group that goes with that thread (i.e. for people who want to follow that method and get help and support) and the group is very supportive. And no-one's selling anything.

Unfortunately there are people who are only interested in selling stuff :( Nothing wrong with selling stuff (if the stuff is good and it's not a scam or dangerous), but the "pretend to be their friend and then dump them when they don't want to buy" s not very nice.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    :( They do seem to pray upon people who need to lose weight, and pressure you to purchase their stuff. But how could you know until they actually showed their true colors, just consider it lesson learned and next time someone asks if you want to join their group be sure to state up front you are not purchasing anything from them. Luckily I've never had that happen. I'm here for support and ready to support if you want add me. But also beware I am not of the eat more to lose more group so if your not comfortable with someone who eats low cals then you may want to stay away. I eat low but I eat healthy and it works for me. I will NOT encourage you to eat low, I support everyone in their own way of things and I do not judge others. The only thing I can't support is someone who wants to weight 80 lbs. Other than that, it's your diet your way :)
  • heleka7
    heleka7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had something very similar happen, the woman wanted me to friend her on facebook and join her group. She seemed so supportive, but something seemed fishy, like she was trying to sell me something. I said thanks but no thanks.
  • teriojo
    teriojo Posts: 10
    Options
    I am sorry that happened to you and I appreciate your warning. At least you know that you, personally, were not rejected but you just were not willing to pay to be part of that group.

Good luck to you.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    That's not cool, I'm sorry it happened to you. It also happened to me, when I first started MFP, the person was all buddy buddy here and I added her on facebook. I didn't want to "drink the kool-aid" she was selling, she told me that I was destined to be fat forever because I wouldn't fork over $$$ for whatever she was selling. I deleted and blocked her, both here and on facebook.

Feel free to add me as a friend, if you're looking for mutual support, along with some humour and sarcasm :flowerforyou: