Do you "lie" on your food diary?

Options

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    No I don't. Why would I? It only hurts me. Plus, I doubt anyone even really looks at my diary.
  • TssCnn
    TssCnn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    "Lying" in a food diary is only lying to ones self. No one has anything to gain by lying here.....except weight.

My cals are very low some days and then at about 1200/1500 other days. All depends on what I have going on in my life at the moment. There have been times where it is has been approx 500 for a few days in a row. I have not been tired, sluggish, starving, anything of the sort. It just happens.

That being said I am sure some people forget to log a snack or something. Then there are probably those whom have binged or went over and are embarrassed so they may not log either. But s I said above, they are just lying to themselves which means they may nt be ready to make a change yet.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Also, regarding the "not small" people who eat less than 1000 cals a day, pay them no mind.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No I don't. Why would I? It only hurts me. Plus, I doubt anyone even really looks at my diary.

You have more stalkers than you think.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I kind of resent this forum post. I haven't lied once on my diary at all. Furthermore, it's perfectly doable if you eat enough fat and protein and stay away from carbs and sugar. I usually eat around 900-1100 a day.

I'm not trying to purposefully stay that low.. I'm not starving myself (I'm never hungry) and I don't binge eat. I haven't cheated on my diet (well, honestly it's a life style change) once, nor do I feel compelled to. My weight doesn't stay the same either. I lose weight at a pretty fair pace considering I don't exercise as much as I should or usually do because my life just got pretty busy.

I started out at 225 lbs about 2 weeks or so before I joined MFP (at which point I weighed 218) I now weigh 194 lbs a little more than 3 months later.

I find that my diary makes me accountable for what I eat and keeps me in check. If it's going to embarrass me to log it, then it makes me think twice about eating it. I'd only be lying to myself if I faked it, and that would do more harm than good imo. In fact, I'm actually pretty meticulous and very picky about my diary (the only thing I don't log is salt/pepper/ and powdered garlic - albeit I am thinking of starting to log that.) I use a digital scale to weigh out EVERYTHING.

Ever since my life style change I've felt better, and am losing weight (not just water weight, I've gone down almost 2 dress sizes. I say this because I went down one size, and now I can squeeze myself into the next - just not comfortably.) This way of eating is the only way I've never felt ravenous. I'm not good with doing things in moderation, so this works for me.

I think people need to do what works for them, and ignore the people who attack them for it. You guys can keep your pastries, rice and noodles - I'll just be over here nomming an a delicious steak on a bed of spinach.
  • apg2302
    apg2302 Posts: 667
    Options
    I occasionally leave weekends blank as they're my cheat days, and there was no way on earth I was reporting my alcohol consumption the other week as it covered 2 days worth of caloric intake!
  • wibbley74
    wibbley74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    who would i be lying to?
    myself?
    the skirt I bought that is several sizes too small cos one day dammit i will fit in it

i'm here to log
    as i know from past experiences that when i count calories i lose weight as it makes me aware of what goes in
    when i don't, i gain
    simple
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything on mine. But I do forget sometimes.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I never lie in my food diary and its meticulously kept (within reason). I keep it closed so as to avoid the temptation to lie.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    sometimes i don't log dinner. i'm on MFP almost nonstop 9 to 5 (can ya guess why?!) and then forget about it at night. or i'll log it the next morning.
  • JeremyMo88
    JeremyMo88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The only way I "lie" is when I round up on things. Such as a if I eat a handful of chips I consider it a serving instead of a 1/2 a serving or so.
  • andreagreen1974
    andreagreen1974 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Here's my thinking on this. If you're eating that few calories, you're hurting your metabolism and you'll never successfully keep off the pounds you're losing. If you're lying on your tracking, you'll never successfully keep off the pounds either.

I have noticed that same thing. If they are that low for that long, they must be getting sick or tired!

I ALWAYS eat pretty close to my calorie goal and i always eat back my exercise calories. I am doing this right this time and for the LAST TIME!!
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hell no! First of all, I would be lying not only to myself, but also to all my MFP friends! I met great people here and I like sharing with them both my successes and my failures. Second, what's the point of being on MFP if you cheat? I try to be as precise as possible but, when in doubt, I always log the food that has the highest amount of calories- never the lowest.
  • Sballard418
    Sballard418 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree I don't add gum or those drop in things with under 10 calories. I also don't log spices, although I really try to cut back on salt. Some days I will ad an hour of work as exercise even if I work 6 hours. Esp, if I am really hungry :blushing:
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i round things, like if im putting a load of spices or something to a food i'll just quick add 10 or 15 calories and wont log them individually but thats about it
    oh and i dont normally log drinking squash (i try to cut back in it) but its only like 5 calories per glass and i probably burn that by drinking it
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Blank day = Cheat day :P (whether it was planned or not is another story)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I don't lie, but I often don't get around to logging the evening meal. I have to sit at the computer and work all day, so when I'm done for the day, I don't want to be anywhere near the computer. Sometimes I log the previous day when I sit down in the morning, but most often I don't. That day is past; seems kind of pointless to log it just to log it.
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I will log my food anticipating eating certain meals throughout the day and then life happens. I am running really late and need to get dinner together quick or don't have time to prepare anything beyond a bowl of cheerios for breakfast, I didn't have time to pack a lunch, forgot to thaw out some meat, had a snack attack and indulged in a candy bar, my husband treats me and the kiddos to a chinese buffet and so on. Sometimes I will revise these diary entries and other times not. That is why I don't piss and moan about gaining back 15 pounds in 5 months and totally falling off of the wagon too much, I know I am entirely to blame for not keeping myself accountable. It sucks but that is just the way it goes for some of us. I admire people with the fortitude to log everything and stay within their macros most of the time.
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't lie on mine. I am brutally honest even when it hurts.

Me too. I log in after I have eaten it, and most days it is like a slap in the face to me what I am eating. Today is a perfect example - 970 calories for breakfast alone - Burger King Croissant w/ sausage, egg, cheese, and medium hash browns.

Rough week with mid-terms, finals for 2 classes and work stress.

I do not, however, record my weight unless it drops.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Probably, because you just can't eat that little for that many days in a row without binging on something. And I doubt they record the binge.

Those people are the ones whose weight never changes, too.

I tend to seek out friends who are active, who eat normal amounts of food (or even excessive amounts!) and still lose weight or maintain where they are. If I see a friend starving themselves, I will usually say something and if they ignore it I'll unfriend them.

For me, this site is all about positively reinforcing my decisions to eat well and exercise. I'm down almost 30 lbs so far so I know it's working. I don't need anyone who might interrupt that momentum chatting with me.

I have had WLS and easily consume less than 900 calories a day. However....I went for months before my surgery (and at times years) only consuming about 500 a day--and exercising. I log every morsel that goes into my mouth and like to be held accountable for what I do. For the record, doctor supervised, I was on 800 kcal a day for over a year because at 1200 I did not lose a pound when I was 240 pounds. Took dropping those calories for the weight to budge. My case was medical, but to answer this question, YES, there are people who can eat very little, still be large, and have no problems with it.