Uh oh, Now I've Done it!

Options
2»

Replies

• htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Advice.. Listen to your body.. I did the same thing five years ago. I lost about 70 lbs, ran a 5k and then committed to running a Marathon. About half way through my training my left foot started hurting. A few months later and when the actual race rolled around my foot was on fire. I can say I finished all but one of my training runs, the saturday before the marathon was the only one I ended up quiting on. The day of the marathon rolled around and the first half went well and I was on my time of 4 1/2 hours. Then it blew up and I ended up hopping / limping the last half and finishing in 5 1/2 hours. That was over 5 years ago and my foot still hurts daily. Everything I read said if it hurts, stop. However, I was to committed to my goal to listen to all of the good advice. I have just recently decided that my foot hurts if I excersice or not so got back into it in December. I am taking it as it comes and will see where I am at later this year to decide what the next step will be.

Good luck to you and don't overdo it on your first race.
  • WickedZoey
    WickedZoey Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This is exciting! I have never ran one myself but hope to one day!
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    So many exciting things going on! :)

Yes, I was planning on waiting until next year, but then realized I turn 30 this year, not next (i can't ever seem to remember how old I am).
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I ran my first Marathon in 2008. I trained for 6 months and mostly followed Jeff Galloway's method.

One key advice that helped me - Don't think about the finish time for your 1st marathon. Just go, run and finish the race and then see how you fared. Good luck!
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I plan on hitting it pretty hard, but paying attention to my shins since I get shinsplints pretty easily.

I agree, my #1 priority is my wife and son, and I actually plan on doing quite a bit of running with him when it gets warmer. I've already signed up for a "Run with Dad 5k" which is stroller friendly. I obviously won't go on long runs with him until he is bigger, but I think it will make for good bonding time.
    That sounds so awesome! My wife and her family keep bugging us about having kids, and running with them sounds like a great time :happy:
  • dobenjam
    Options
    I ran my first Marathon in 2008. I trained for 6 months and mostly followed Jeff Galloway's method.

One key advice that helped me - Don't think about the finish time for your 1st marathon. Just go, run and finish the race and then see how you fared. Good luck!

Great advice, thanks! I'd love to say I don't care about the time, and I really only care about finishing, but I do want to have a decent time as well. It is going to take a lot for me to not worry so much about the time and just enjoy the race, but that's one of the reason I want to do it!
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    A marathon?!!! You are one crazy cat but GOOD LUCK! :)
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good lock to you!! You can do this! I ran a 5k turkey trot in Nov 02. That was the farthest I had run, and boy was it slow and hard. I was not a runner. I ran the Marine Corps Marathon the following year in less than 5 hours. That's not fast for many people but I was proud of it! I did walk some (water stations). I never hit a wall. It was honestly one of my proudest personal moments!! I learned the hard way about needing some sort of nutrition during long runs, never to eat rich dinners the night before a long run, and to hydrate during the run (that sounds so obvious but I hated to carry anything-let's just say I learned to get over that, lol). You can do this-one mile at a time ;) you have plenty of time to ramp up slowly..
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good lock to you!! You can do this! I ran a 5k turkey trot in Nov 02. That was the farthest I had run, and boy was it slow and hard. I was not a runner. I ran the Marine Corps Marathon the following year in less than 5 hours. That's not fast for many people but I was proud of it! I did walk some (water stations). I never hit a wall. It was honestly one of my proudest personal moments!! I learned the hard way about needing some sort of nutrition during long runs, never to eat rich dinners the night before a long run, and to hydrate during the run (that sounds so obvious but I hated to carry anything-let's just say I learned to get over that, lol). You can do this-one mile at a time ;) you have plenty of time to ramp up slowly..
    This brings up some good things to think about.

I trained with a charity so they took care of fuel and water stops for long runs. Sometimes they were manned stops, sometimes they would label a cooler for us and leave it on a street corner, and this was in Boston. When I had to do a long run on my own, if I didn't want to carry the water, I did a loop and left drinks in a small cooler by the side of the trail or at my car.

I'd consider getting a book that covers fueling your runs. If you don't eat well for the runs and during the long runs they can be really miserable.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything. I know it is hard not to think about time, but really try to let it go. Say I was thinking 5 hours and all my training runs were on target for 4:35. But then the day of the run it is insanely hot, and I finish in 5:15 or longer. Now I'm disappointed with myself. The disappointment overshadows that I'VE JUST RUN A MARATHON!!! I've been to two marathons that had record heat on the day, one was Disney's and one was Chicago's. There were lots of disappointed first timers. And they should have been happy (especially Chicago where officials closed down the route (because of the heat) if runners hadn't reached a point by a certain time.) Some first time runners who got past the blockade were bummed with their times. I thought it was silly since hundreds of people didn't even get to finish because they didn't make it past the blockade. Now those people I was bummed for.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    A marathon?!!! You are one crazy cat but GOOD LUCK! :)
    !
    Yep, I'm crazy, can't deny it and thanks, I'll need it
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I've been to two marathons that had record heat on the day, one was Disney's and one was Chicago's.

Yep, I ran Twin Cities the same day as Chicago (record heat for both). I lost over an hour from the year before.
  • dobenjam
    Options

Wow, under 5 hours sounds great to me! I'm sure I'll walk some, though I hope I can at least "Wog" through it. Right now I don't hydrate during runs, but they aren't that long so I don't think it is needed. I have purchased a water belt and have never worn it, lol. Not really a fan of it but Im sure it will come in handy when I need it. I do need to learn running nutrition.
  • dobenjam
    Options
    This brings up some good things to think about.

I trained with a charity so they took care of fuel and water stops for long runs. Sometimes they were manned stops, sometimes they would label a cooler for us and leave it on a street corner, and this was in Boston. When I had to do a long run on my own, if I didn't want to carry the water, I did a loop and left drinks in a small cooler by the side of the trail or at my car.

I'd consider getting a book that covers fueling your runs. If you don't eat well for the runs and during the long runs they can be really miserable.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything. I know it is hard not to think about time, but really try to let it go. Say I was thinking 5 hours and all my training runs were on target for 4:35. But then the day of the run it is insanely hot, and I finish in 5:15 or longer. Now I'm disappointed with myself. The disappointment overshadows that I'VE JUST RUN A MARATHON!!! I've been to two marathons that had record heat on the day, one was Disney's and one was Chicago's. There were lots of disappointed first timers. And they should have been happy (especially Chicago where officials closed down the route (because of the heat) if runners hadn't reached a point by a certain time.) Some first time runners who got past the blockade were bummed with their times. I thought it was silly since hundreds of people didn't even get to finish because they didn't make it past the blockade. Now those people I was bummed for.

A book is a great idea. Do you have any that you recommend?

I'm really going to try not to worry about the time. It will be tough but my main focus will be to finish. I am just a goal oriented person and setting a time goal will help push me. But I promise not to be disappointed if I don't hit it!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Wow, under 5 hours sounds great to me! I'm sure I'll walk some, though I hope I can at least "Wog" through it. Right now I don't hydrate during runs, but they aren't that long so I don't think it is needed. I have purchased a water belt and have never worn it, lol. Not really a fan of it but Im sure it will come in handy when I need it. I do need to learn running nutrition.

Water belt is pretty pointless. You need something that can carry some nourishment/snacks. I usually go through a bag of jolly ranchers.

If under 5 hours sounds "great". Have you looked into the max time?
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Now I run with a palm bottle, but only if I'm running less than an hour. If I'm going more than an hour, I'll stage something somewhere or take the camelback. I prefer the palm bottle b/c I don't have to carry it. As for nutrition, the gels and good taste gross but they totally work. I was using those on long runs.

I'm toying with another this year b/c it's been 10 this October. I have two elementary aged kids so I'm not sure how committed I want to be to that...I have a little time to think about it. I'm excited for you ;)