Is it "bad" to eat bananas when trying to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Bananas are awesome. Ain't nothin' bad 'bout bananas.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a great source of fiber and potassium. Your GI tract loves the fiber and your heart loves the potassium. Eat 'em up.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Eat twelve of them but make sure they are the medium size ones you don't want to go over 1,200 :wink:
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents?

No one ever got fat from eating too many fruits and vegetables, so go for it!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    such malarkey this banana business.

Just pay attention to your calories.... to lose weight.

To be "fit" you may want to also exercise and pay attention to macros.
  • teresarod
    teresarod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like some ideas on what to eat for breakfast. I have been eating egg whites and an english muffin. The protein does seem to keep me full longer. A change would be nice.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I would most definitely say no but maybe I'm not the best authority on the subject :)
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Each good sized banana has about 10% of the daily recommended amount of potassium. They are my favourite fruit and one daily.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    bananas are incredibly good for you. eat them.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Where do you get this stuff from? Is it "bad" to eat bananas....

Bananas are fine. Obviously.

It's actually a pretty common thing, to have clean-eater snobs dismiss bananas as too high in sugar and not worth it to incorporate into a healthy diet. Then again, there is probably an article dismissing any and all fruit. My point is though, OP asked a legitimate question, because I myself have been 'warned' against bananas for blood sugar reasons.

Actually not the clean eater crowd, more the low carb crowd.

Either way, OP, enjoy your bananas if they fit in your macro goals!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I would like some ideas on what to eat for breakfast. I have been eating egg whites and an english muffin. The protein does seem to keep me full longer. A change would be nice.

Good question!

I have several go-to breakfast options:

Half a turkey sausage, 1 egg and a sprinkle of cheese baked for 20 mins in a cupcake pan --> I like to call these breakfast cupcakes. Plenty of fats and protein to keep me satiated. And you can make a bunch of them and save them in the fridge to be "grab-n-go" breakfasts.

Or, Greek yogurt parfaits. Half a cup of plain non-fat Greek yogurt, half a cup of fresh or frozen mixed berries, a quarter cup of chopped nuts (I like cashews and brazil nuts or almonds) and a tablespoon of unsweetened shredded coconut. I make a few of these on the weekends and keep them in the fridge to eat during the week. I also sometimes drizzle a tiny bit of honey over it.
  • Jillyfish99
    Jillyfish99 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    what everyone else said as well as the added potasium has been known to help weight loss.
    just keep within cals. :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Steak and eggs
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Where do you get this stuff from? Is it "bad" to eat bananas....

Bananas are fine. Obviously.

It's actually a pretty common thing, to have clean-eater snobs dismiss bananas as too high in sugar and not worth it to incorporate into a healthy diet. Then again, there is probably an article dismissing any and all fruit. My point is though, OP asked a legitimate question, because I myself have been 'warned' against bananas for blood sugar reasons.

Actually not the clean eater crowd, more the low carb crowd.

Either way, OP, enjoy your bananas if they fit in your macro goals!

yeah exactly... bananas are the epitome of eating clean... lol
  • petitegreek
    petitegreek Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Nope! I eat bananas 3-4 times per week and I've lost about 6 pounds in 4 weeks.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat bananas, but when I do i always eat them with peanut butter and chocolate chips . . . you're welcome.
  • bclever13
    bclever13 Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!!!

Eat the banana:smile:
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would say, if you are only eating one (not the whole bunch at one time), that you are fine. I would however suggest that you add some fat & protein into your breakfast, to help your body metabolize the sugar without spiking your blood sugar (which will later crash).

But isn't the yoghurt fat and protein?
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    One advantage to eating bananas while dieting is they can make you feel fuller. I like to eat a banana for a snack, at breakfast, or as dessert. Like many others have said, as long as you include them in your daily totals you should be ok.
  • Jessel0001
    Jessel0001 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas everyday, especially before working out (good potassium). I used to eat 3 or 4 day and still lost 65 pounds.