Office Jobs

Options
For people like me who are chained to a desk most of the day, how do you stay active during the day? I try to get up and walk during my lunch hour and get away from my desk and walk around (even if it's just my office) anytime I can.

Any hints, tips, or tricks to staying active all day?

Replies

• bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I'm like you. On my lunch break I try to walk but I feel like there is so much time I could be using while at my desk that is going to waste. I'm looking forward to hearing what other people have to say.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I get up and do a short exercise routine every 1-2 hours - push-ups and squats, run the stairs, etc. Just enough to get the heartrate up without sweating profusely.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Get a stand up desk if you can. Or work at a low file cabinet. Jogging or riding a bike for your commute can also help as can a lunch time trip to the gym or jog.

Don't get too obsessive about all that though, and instead focus on your calories and macro consumption.
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Try to walk part of the way to and from the office?
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water at work so that I have an excuse to get up and go to the bathroom every hour or so.

I've heard that replacing your chair with an exercise ball is good for your core.

Most of my exercise comes after work, but I do need to get up a lot during the day. If I don't get up every hour or so, my legs start to tingle and my whole body feels like mud.
  • james3302
    Options
    My lunch break is my gym time. I change then head to the gym 5 days a week(up from 3 days recently). So my lunch is spent lifting. When I get back I change then drink my lunch(protein shake) while I work.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    I just started working in an office after a few months working from home and it has definitely been an adjustment. I usually have meetings or something that comes up around lunch time so i wake up at 530 and do 30 minutes of cardio before work. This is also good because having to shower mid day after the gym when I have a meeting at 2:00 is a pain. I try to walk around whenever i can. I wear a headset so this makes it easy when i am talking to a candidate or on a call. use an excercise ball for my chair, it helps with my posture and my core. I drink tons of water.... and try to spend as much time outside on the weekend!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    buy a stability ball to sit on, rather than a chair. you can do a lot on that ball through out the day while sitting at your desk/computer all day.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Shake weight!

JK

But bringing resistance bends or dumbells may help? I dont get a lunc so I cant walk but I can do those.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Shake weight!

JK

But bringing resistance bends or dumbells may help? I dont get a lunc so I cant walk but I can do those.

I wonder if we were to put in for a stability ball if that would get approved? ROFL
  • cervenec
    Options
    I have a 45 minute commute, work in an office, and it's below freezing outside. To stay healthy I drink a ton of water with lemon slices in it and used a pedometer to make sure I am walking. I also try to exercise for at least 30 minutes once I get home by changing asap into some workout clothes. Even if it's just 15 minute HIIT w/o waiting for the dishes to be done, or the laundry being ready to be changed. :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that sitting all day can cause glutes to become inactive/weak and hips flexors to become tight. I think this is me.

Can anyone recommend exercises to help correct this so when I do lunges, squats etc they become more effective?
  • sashastackhouse
    sashastackhouse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I worked at a desk job all day, I was surprised how many phone calls and emails I would send through the office. So instead of doing that, I would just get up and walk over to the person's cubicle. Not hard, really but at least it got me off my butt! Oh and also, keeping a mug at my desk and then having to get up to refill it from the water cooler or make tea made sure that I was up and moving and getting my water intake (and subsequently walking to the restroom!). Two birds with one stone there. And I don't know if you are able to do this, but biking to work or walking helps tremendously.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do the walking thing to a from the water cooler and bathroom. I bet I go to the restroom 12 times a day, and the water cooler at least 4. I also take the long way around the office to someone's desk. So maybe it's not as bad as I thought. :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I get up at least once per hour to get water, or go to the furthest away toilets (up four storeys). I bring a packed lunch so I can exercise at lunchtime, either a fast walk, a swim at the local pool or a run followed by a wet-wipe shower.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    use an excercise ball for my chair, it helps with my posture and my core.

This is a good idea if you can get one. I have a stress ball at my desk to exercise the forearms (I play a little softball). Other than that walking around during lunch is good...stairs are better (but people smoke in mine, so I don't do this).
  • emilyds
    emilyds Posts: 88
    Options
    I do a little bit of office yoga about once every couple hours. There are some stretches and positions you can do in your office or even in your chair. I have problems with having a sore back and neck from sitting all day, so this really helps me feel better.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym directly from work before hitting the commute home, and I do my circuit training in the morning at home before I get on the road to work. Occasionally when the the weather permits, I do take a 45 min walk at lunchtime.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I stand and stretch as often as possible. Also get up to the washroom or run to the kitchen to get water often. I have also been known to take phone calls while standing.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My office is on the 6th floor of the building. Every hour, my coworker and I walk down 6 flights of stairs and then back up. It takes up about 2-3 minutes.... but if we do it 7 times during the day, it's a good 20 minutes of stair climbing.