SHIN SPLINTS!! Can't stop treading because of it..ADVICE.

Options
I don't want to stop working out and although they don't hurt real bad yet, they are starting to act up after every two workouts or so. My question is does anyone else have this problem and do you do anything to help before you work out?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic on it
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints

Do not take this as advice to do what I did. Shin splints can become worse so I wouldn't recommend anyone keep pushing through them, this is my experience.
    I had no choice, I had to keep running. There was nothing I found to make it better beforehand. It hurt to start running, the pain evened out while I ran and once I stopped it was not possible to start running again. I iced and took ibuprofen (do NOT take before running, it is not recommended and can cause problems) after the run. And I got up the next day or day after and ran again. Eventually they just went away for me and I haven't had a problem since aside from the odd twinge.
  • lorislosingit
    lorislosingit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    An aerobics instructor told me to hold my leg out and trace out the alphabet with my ankle - that's supposed to help stretch out those muscles. Also, when you stretch- you can put your right leg behind you, point your toe, and drag your toe along the ground - that stretches those muscles too. Switch for the left foot. I used to have a problem with shin splints, but since I've started walking every day, they've gone away - hope this helps.
  • smilingdaisies
    smilingdaisies Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you! So do you think that your muscles just got stronger and that is why they eventually quit hurting?
  • benemma05
    benemma05 Posts: 11
    Options
    I used to suffer really bad with shin splints, then I watched a video on you tube and found out that my running style was the main cause. I was landing with my heel first which was causing more impact through my legs and a lot of pain (at the worst I could barely walk!) now I am conscious with every step I take to land flat footed and I bought come calf guards (very similar to dvt stockings) and I can run 3-4 times a week now! My shins do hurt sometimes but it eases after the day of eat I take in between.

Also whilst I was suffering I was referred for physio by my doctor. There I was told to do calf raises which would strengthen my calves, so I try to do these once a day on the stairs.

And finally be gate tested for proper running shoes suited to your style of running!

Hope this helps :)
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Cannot help, but wanted to say that I like that you refer to it as treading! I do also-- "I'm going in the basement to tread for a while." Hehe.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    running on the balls of my feet rather than heel first helps me lessen the impact on my shins.

disclaimer: i'm not a doctor or exercise physiologist. i'm merely relating what has been effective for me and what may work for you.
  • maoffers
    maoffers Posts: 5
    Options
    From WebMD

What's the Treatment for Shin Splints?

Although shin splints may be caused by different problems, treatment is usually the same: Rest your body so the underlying issue heals. Here are some other things to try:

- Icing the shin to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every three to four hours for two to three days, or until the pain is gone.
    - Anti-inflammatory painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin, will help with pain and swelling. However, these drugs can have side effects, like an increased risk of bleeding and ulcers. They should be used only occasionally unless your doctor specifically says otherwise.
    - Arch supports for your shoes. These orthotics -- which can be custom-made or bought off the shelf -- may help with flat feet.
    - Range of motion exercises, if your doctor recommends them.
    - Neoprene sleeve to support and warm the leg.
    - Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in your shins.

In rare cases, surgery is needed for severe stress fractures and other problems that can cause shin splints.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I've heard some people say that they completely got rid of them simply by getting properly and professionally fitted for running shoes, so maybe try that if you haven't already. Also, for me personally, switching to a ball of foot strike, rather than a heel strike, majorly reduced the impact on my legs.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only thing that really helped mine was staying off of them, which means no running whatsoever, and working on strength training. I think I took a month off, and then when I went back, I started slowly.

This is assuming you've been fitted for running shoes, and don't run with a heel strike.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    From WebMD

What's the Treatment for Shin Splints?

Although shin splints may be caused by different problems, treatment is usually the same: Rest your body so the underlying issue heals. Here are some other things to try:

- Icing the shin to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every three to four hours for two to three days, or until the pain is gone.
    - Anti-inflammatory painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin, will help with pain and swelling. However, these drugs can have side effects, like an increased risk of bleeding and ulcers. They should be used only occasionally unless your doctor specifically says otherwise.
    - Arch supports for your shoes. These orthotics -- which can be custom-made or bought off the shelf -- may help with flat feet.
    - Range of motion exercises, if your doctor recommends them.
    - Neoprene sleeve to support and warm the leg.
    - Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in your shins.

In rare cases, surgery is needed for severe stress fractures and other problems that can cause shin splints.

Its your second post, I don't want you to think I am picking, its just the orthotics suggestion reminded me

I also forgot to mention I didn't have fitted shoes. I did go for orthotics which didn't help. I now run in fitted shoes (but didn't change my sneakers at that time). I would try a different pair of sneakers before shelling out money for orthotics (I had mine custom made).

And just to stress, NSAIDS after are good. Just not before.
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i pushed through it and after a few days they went away. also make sure your getting potassium afterwards.
  • msflynnbly
    msflynnbly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started with them last year and carried on running until I totally knackered my leg in. Ended up walking with a permanent limp. Bit the bullet and paid £40 for a physio, best £40 I have ever spent. She showed me some stretches and also got a round of ultrasound on it and it felt fab afterwards. Turned out my left leg is quite a bit shorter than my right, which was causing the problem.
    Referred myself at the doctors and got some new soles, one with a heel raise. Legs have been great eve since. Good luck with them xx
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've heard some people say that they completely got rid of them simply by getting properly and professionally fitted for running shoes, so maybe try that if you haven't already. Also, for me personally, switching to a ball of foot strike, rather than a heel strike, majorly reduced the impact on my legs.
    ^^ This and stretching worked for me!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Less stress and lots of ice in 20 minute spurts!
  • mmecadon
    mmecadon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It might be time for some good, new, running shoes with good support.
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Everybody's situation is different
    A few factors to consider:
    1. Form
    2. Shoes
    3. Proper Hydration

I know for me, it was form. I started running on the balls of my feet rather than having my heel hit first. Also my feet pronate (tilt out) like crazy causing a strain on my inner shin. I got proper insoles and that really helped too. Also try compression sleeves. They sell them at all running shops and most sporting goods stores.

By any chance, do you have a roadrunner sports near you? They have this awesome shoe fitting sequence that is seriously a life saver.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    running on the balls of my feet rather than heel first helps me lessen the impact on my shins.

disclaimer: i'm not a doctor or exercise physiologist. i'm merely relating what has been effective for me and what may work for you.

Exactly this for me too! I always had a hard time running because of shin splints until I started running on the balls of my feet. Now they don't bother me at all!
  • goldie21047
    goldie21047 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, I had anterior shin splints from overstriding. I shortened my stride and make sure not to land on my heel.

A couple of years ago, when getting back into "treading," I had posterior shin splints. I found that doing a bit of foot/ankle/lower leg strengthening and stretching worked wonders and, surprisingly, also relieved my plantar fasciitis (far better than orthotics). Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEqqyyCRHbA

I play tennis, walk and jog and my feet, ankles, and shins are great. Now I'm trying to get the pounds off to save my knees. Good luck to you!
  • ChantelZf
    ChantelZf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've had shin splint since I was 14 ish. Never found a solution when I was young and that's one of the reasons I'm this out of shape now. For me two things had made a huge difference,stretching and shoes. New balance is the shoe thats working for me, there is lots of type for heavy people and splints. The stretch that seems to make the difference is downward dog and getting my feet as flat on the ground as I can. If that's not doing it for you use the last step on the stairs and let your heels off, make your calves and muscles in the ankle move your weight up and down or just stretch it. I feel like shin splints are the hardest to recover from so try to going ease and heal!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Few things...

Use a foam roller and roll out your calves, tight muscles in the back can cause issues in the front.

Everyone who mentioned running mechanics are right on.. watch how you are landing on your feet.

Also stretch really well.. trace the alphabet with your toes, stretch your calves, glutes, hams, and quads.

Make sure you are hydrated.

How are your shoes??