Biggest Looser - motivating or not?

Options
I was watching the biggest looser recently - and seeing the 10 lb drops the women are logging in right now kind of made me feel ****ty about my weight loss. Now I realize that is sort of stupid because they are probably training 7 days a week 6 hours a day sort of deal - but it kind of worked on me a bit to see it. It isn't like they are doing something easy to get the weight off etc...but I was so demotivated after that. Did my workouts and did my food but felt a bit off.

Back on my game today though...but found that result very interesting.

NSV: Ran my personal best of my 5KM track time - 32 minutes (and even better my feet didn't hurt - plantar faciitis, my asthma was cooperating and wasn't feeling sluggish!

Replies

• MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Meh, Biggest Loser doesn't motivate me at all. I'd rather watch Amish Mafia. :bigsmile:
  • LoseItToWin
    LoseItToWin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love when my asthma allows me to have a good run!
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It motivates me, I love seeing people accomplish their goals. It breaks my heart to see them go home with more work to do. Especially when they leave early on. I haven't watched too much this season due to scheduling conflict but I like it.
  • saudade88
    saudade88 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think it can be unrealistic and discouraging at times..
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Biggest Loser? Yawn. A very distant second to a good book.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I love it I find it very motivating and inspiring but I think thats mostly because I love Jillian so much
  • AhlaWahda
    AhlaWahda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love watching people lose weight lol. As long as it's through a healthy diet and exercise then I find it inspiring.
    Why would it make you feel bad about your own weight-loss? It's not like we live on Biggest Loser camp.
    We do what we can in our everyday life. :smile:
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I find reality television highly motivating. Especially when the "trainers" yell at and shame the "contestants". The unrealistic goals are also a great motivating factor. What's better than watching fat folks forced to run uphill in the middle of summer? It's like nascar, just waiting for a heart attack.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    Meh, Biggest Loser doesn't motivate me at all.

Me neither. I'd rather work out or read.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I enjoy biggest loser, and I do find it motivating, but I also know from listening to Jillians podcast that they are doing 2 3 hour sessions per day, have nutritionist on had to help with food, have fully stocked kitchen with only healthy foods, are getting sports massages and the same type of care a professional athlete would get. Not something I can achieve at home so I don't compare it.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I love watching it but its not motivating. Its frustrating that they get trainers and get to work out all day and I don't.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Motivating? Yes. Realistic expectations? No. As long as you keep that in mind, it's all good. :drinker:
  • dance_fit
    dance_fit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I find it motivating for working out. What happens on the scale I consider a part of the game. But I do like to see how they work out because I figure if they can do it then I really have zero excuses not to do something too.

As for 10lb weight loss... They start out morbidly obese so it's possible to drop huge numbers like that. Add to that the fact that they are sequestered on a ranch where their only job is to work out and diet. They are monitored by fitness professionals, and medical staff. They are regimented and they are supplemented. Jillian has talked alot about the fat burning supplements she gives her contestants before workouts. And in general not dealing with daily life like jobs, families, responsibilities, and temptations. Pus, they are playing a game where the prize is a quarter of a million dollars. That's pretty incentivizing, I think.

The speed of weightloss I think is unrealistic for real life, but what they learn on the show, I think is applicable.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    No, it is not realistic weight loss situations so it does not help me in my journey. I would rather be working out than watching other folks being pushed and prodded and having a nutritionist at their beck and call. I may be slower and fall off the wagon but it is real.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It can be motivating, as long as you don't step outside of the fantasy and actually read what these people are subjected to behind the scenes. It's sort of like how a nice drumstick from KFC probably tastes good, as long as you don't find out how those chickens are treated.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I enjoy biggest loser, and I do find it motivating, but I also know from listening to Jillians podcast that they are doing 2 3 hour sessions per day, have nutritionist on had to help with food, have fully stocked kitchen with only healthy foods, are getting sports massages and the same type of care a professional athlete would get. Not something I can achieve at home so I don't compare it.

True. I think it was the 10lbs in 2 weeks thing. It made me realize how different their journey is. And to the reality TV critics - I feel you...it is about as realistic as any of these shows are. I would love to see a follow up series about maintaining goal weight when you are at home making your own choices. That would be interesting.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    This year I think it is interesting that the one guys brother has lost 95 lbs at home- when he lost only 8 lbs more. Is it worth dealing with Jillian screaming in your face. I thought she was horrible this season- guess that is why she lost all the contestants except 1.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    while it can be motivating to people, it can also set unreal expectations on weight loss so it can a reverse affect.
  • Serena_Kitty
    Options
    I haven't watched that show for a long time, but if it's the same in recent seasons...I'm going to say "no".

It is depressing to me. These people are sick, being pushed far too hard and eating too little, and getting yelled at. Not only is the show depressing, but so is the fact that many of these people gain the weight back.

I am motivated by my own goals for myself, and actual physical health.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1271760918_cat-yawn.gif

Reality TV is not REAL. First off, one week is longer than a real week. They also do all manner of unhealthy things to lose weight, including massive calorie deficits and over training...pretty much everything they do should be done only under close supervision of a medical professional (I assume contestants are) They also dehydrate for weigh-ins...much of those losses are simply water.

Biggest Looser is entertainment (at best) and probably actually kinda dangerous for this very reason. People think they should be losing weight like that, when in reality, healthy and safe weight loss is about 1-2 Lb per week unless you are under the supervision of a physician.