Sodium? - is it important to meet the target set

Options
13»

Replies

• dcuevas6235
    dcuevas6235 Posts: 135
    Options
    Hey there!

I think its safe to say that eating the proper amount of sodium in a day is nearly impossible for everyone. I have two suggestions that might help you offset your sodium levels. Eat fresh! Avoid eating out and processed foods as much as possible. Eating fresh, whole foods have less sodium in them, and you'll see that reflected in your diary. I also recommend achieving your potassium RDA's for potassium. Potassium works with sodium to keep you hydrated, and I have heard it offsets excess amounts of sodium in your system.

One more thing. I don't think sodium is a macronutrient but a micronutrient. I was told that macronutrients make up your cal. :Carbs, Fats, and Protein.

I hope this helps.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I believe that anywhere between 1,500 and 2,300 is the recommended amount. High blood pressure runs in my family so I focused on keeping my sodium low for a while but I was eating a little below 1,500 and my blood pressure lowered a lot, to the point that it was borderline too low, so I make sure now to stay within the 1,500-2,000 range and drink a lot of water if I go over.
  • dcuevas6235
    Options
    it makes sence to be under sodium but why does it state so high, from what i have read (so far) people seem to say that you should try and reach the macros stated. Very confused :(
    dont go over it. under = good, over = bad. not much else to say

Bad in what way? Assuming you don't suffer from hypertension or have another medical condition that would warrant you to be mindful of sodium, it is nothing to really worry about

That's not really what the science shows. There was once a lot more room for controversary in the world of nutrition science over the role of sodium, but there is now pretty conclusive evidence that too much sodium increases risk of heart disease.

C'mon! Don't you know better than this yet? Proof source?? Where is the evidence you claim? (I hope you have more here than on the too much protein thread!)

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/salt-and-sodium-debate/

Tell how, why, we should believe you have more experience or knowledge in nutrition science than the experts at Harvard, and then we'll have a rational discussion. Otherwise, go troll pubmed for a cherry picked rebuttal.

Didn't say I did. Just would think that by now you should be able to do better than making unsupported statements but you seem to learn slowly in that regard.

PS: Is there any other source you know of other than Harvard?

What are you two even arguing about. I thought everyone knew that long term consumption of excess sodium will lead to hypertension and bone loss. Take a basic nutrition course. YEESH!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/5/1013.abstract?sid=b8bc6758-886d-4bc3-a82e-05818078a324
    Quote from abstract:
    "With a myriad of data from observational studies and randomized, controlled trials, we have the information to finally put sodium into its correct context in terms of its role in the regulation of blood pressure and hypertension. Not the sole and pervasive dietary villain it was once believed to be, sodium is but one factor in the complex interplay of multiple, inextricably related regulatory systems of which hypertension is the end result."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22914535
    Quote from abstract:
    "CONCLUSION:

Compared with a normal sodium diet, a low sodium diet significantly increases morbidity and mortality in systolic HF."

The point being that electrolyte balance is key and a low sodium diet is not better than a high one. Balance in all things. Guess it's not that cut and dry.

PS: Who knows the difference between a study and an article? Bueller? Anyone??
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    it makes sence to be under sodium but why does it state so high, from what i have read (so far) people seem to say that you should try and reach the macros stated. Very confused :(

Bad in what way? Assuming you don't suffer from hypertension or have another medical condition that would warrant you to be mindful of sodium, it is nothing to really worry about

That's not really what the science shows. There was once a lot more room for controversary in the world of nutrition science over the role of sodium, but there is now pretty conclusive evidence that too much sodium increases risk of heart disease.

C'mon! Don't you know better than this yet? Proof source?? Where is the evidence you claim? (I hope you have more here than on the too much protein thread!)

Tell how, why, we should believe you have more experience or knowledge in nutrition science than the experts at Harvard, and then we'll have a rational discussion. Otherwise, go troll pubmed for a cherry picked rebuttal.

Didn't say I did. Just would think that by now you should be able to do better than making unsupported statements but you seem to learn slowly in that regard.

Yes, but none as knowledgeable or reputable.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/5/1013.abstract?sid=b8bc6758-886d-4bc3-a82e-05818078a324
    Quote from abstract:
    "With a myriad of data from observational studies and randomized, controlled trials, we have the information to finally put sodium into its correct context in terms of its role in the regulation of blood pressure and hypertension. Not the sole and pervasive dietary villain it was once believed to be, sodium is but one factor in the complex interplay of multiple, inextricably related regulatory systems of which hypertension is the end result."

Quote from abstract:
    "CONCLUSION:

Compared with a normal sodium diet, a low sodium diet significantly increases morbidity and mortality in systolic HF."

The point being that electrolyte balance is key and a low sodium diet is not better than a high one. Balance in all things. Guess it's not that cut and dry.

Do you beleive these 2 studies are the only studies done on dietary sodium? If not, why do you think these 2 are more important or more definitive than others?
  • mmapags
    Options

Yes, but none as knowledgeable or reputable.

I understand that is your belief. Like many of your beliefs, it is not grounded in fact but in your own suppostiion.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Quote from abstract:

Quote from abstract:
    "CONCLUSION:

Do you beleive these 2 studies are the only studies done on dietary sodium? If not, why do you think these 2 are more important or more definitive than others?

If you have othes you would like to post, feel free. These were at the top of list, meaning most recent, when I searched these sites. I think they are more definitive than your article. I come into this with no preformed conclusion but let the data indicate what the facts may be. You might want to try it sometime.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    What are you two even arguing about. I thought everyone knew that long term consumption of excess sodium will lead to hypertension and bone loss. Take a basic nutrition course. YEESH!

Read the thread. Obviously you thought wrong. And your post should say "can" lead to... Consuming too much sodium doesn't guarantee health problems, but it does raise your risk.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Quote from abstract:

Quote from abstract:
    "CONCLUSION:

If you have othes you would like to post, feel free. These were at the top of list, meaning most recent, when I searched these sites. I think they are more definitive than your article. I come into this with no preformed conclusion but let the data indicate what the facts may be. You might want to try it sometime.

I'm certainly not going to search for every study on dietary sodium ever performed and post it here. And without the full body of data how could any conclusion drawn be taken seriously?

There are more than 2 studies referenced on my HSPH link above. Why do you discount those?

Edit: typo
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

First off, sodium isn't a macro...it is a micro nutrient. It is an important mineral that your body needs...however, too much leads to water retention and bloating among other things. For people like me who are hypertensive, it makes us feel like our hearts our going to explode out of our chests if we over consume sodium. If you don't have issues with blood pressure, it's not too much of a concern other than the water retention.

Secondly, you can manually change your goals. MFP's macro settings and micro settings aren't gospel. In fact, I think their default macro settings are rather sucky. You can adjust things to meet whatever goal you need to meet. For example, mine are 40c/30p/30f for my macros. The only micros I watch are sodium, which I have adjusted to 2,000 mg and saturated fats which I try to keep at or below the DV due to cholesterol issues.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Quote from abstract:

Quote from abstract:
    "CONCLUSION:

I'm certainly not going to search for every study on dietary sodium ever performed and post it here. And without the full body of data how could any conclusion drawn be taken seriously?

There are more than 2 studies referenced on my HBSPH link above. Why do you discount those?

lol There weren't any, they just refered to 3. No links. Why do you disount the ACTAUL STUDIES I posted? Don't want to be confused by data that doesn't line up with your preformed opinion?
  • dcuevas6235
    Options

Read the thread. Obviously you thought wrong. And your post should say "can" lead to... Consuming too much sodium doesn't guarantee health problems, but it does raise your risk.

I apologise, I mispoke. But that doesn't excuse you for being a nasty person. I didn't publish a journal on the topic. I just added some input to what is supposed to be a friendly social network post. We're supposed to exchange usefull information and not cut eachother down. What is wrong with you?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Quote from abstract:

Quote from abstract:
    "CONCLUSION:

There are more than 2 studies referenced on my HBSPH link above. Why do you discount those?

lol There weren't any, they just refered to 3. No links. Why do you disount the ACTAUL STUDIES I posted? Don't want to be confused by data that doesn't line up with your preformed opinion?

I don't discount any studies that have been validated through peer review. Disagreeing results is a natural part of science, which is why it's pointless to look to only a couple as "proof" of anything. Or to believe that a study "disproves" all previous studies just because it had a different conclusion. It makes about as much as sense as having 4 doctors tell you that you have cancer, then getting a 5th opinion that says you don't and saying "Whew! Thank goodness I don't have cancer."

It really is best to find experts in the field who study and present conclusions on all data available, and who have no government or industrial agenda. But if you want to stick with those two, that is certainly your prerogative.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I apologise, I mispoke. But that doesn't excuse you for being a nasty person. I didn't publish a journal on the topic. I just added some input to what is supposed to be a friendly social network post. We're supposed to exchange usefull information and not cut eachother down. What is wrong with you?

That's a debatable subject (what's wrong with me) and would hijack the thread, which is against the rules. I wasn't trying to be mean. In fact, I thought your reply suggesting we all needed nutrition classes was pretty mean, but perhaps that just a result of whatever is wrong with me. :ohwell:
  • dcuevas6235
    Options
    I read your threads. You're a nasty person. Whatever knowledge you have accumulated while pursuing your goals will be muted. No one likes to be condescended to, so take your hang ups and abuse someone else somewhere else. This is a community, and if you don't like your community, you should probably leave.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I read your threads. You're a nasty person. Whatever knowledge you have accumulated while pursuing your goals will be muted. No one likes to be condescended to, so take your hang ups and abuse someone else somewhere else. This is a community, and if you don't like your community, you should probably leave.

Eh, sorry you feel that way. I've never been purposely nasty or abusive that I can remember, but I do give my opinion.
  • melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Agreed... I have never once worried about sodium, let alone tracked it and it hasn't hurt my weight loss or atleast I don't think it has... I just drink my fair share of water.... Best of Luck

I saw how much weight you have lost and clicked into your blog and HOLY CRAP! I'm going to believe what you say. You know what you are doing when is comes to weight loss. You are amazing!