oh god. after how many days does this get easier?

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    eat MOAAARRRRRRR!!!

:laugh: yes...what she said:flowerforyou:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    When you realize 1200 calories isn't a realistic goal.

Maybe for you. I'm 5'2" with a small frame and 1200 is plenty.

But for a 6'1" 240 lb. man with a larger build, yeah, it's not.

Did you know that not everyone on the planet is the same height, weight, build and gender as you? ::gasp!:: :tongue:

P.S.: OP: It doesn't get much easier. But it's not about easy. It's about being healthy and looking/feeling great.
  • Talleifer
    Talleifer Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat around 2000 calories a day. I've lost 4 inches off of my waist in 2 months, 15 total lbs weight loss. I don't feel tired, or grouchy, or that it's "hard". I feel fine. I enjoy my workouts because I eat enough to give me the energy to plow through them. I still eat at a deficit, but a healthy enough amount to where I don't feel hungry. Not so hard for me.
  • Dawn4511
    Dawn4511 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this I feel your pain. I don't have any advise I just wanted to let you know your not alone.
  • mayalin03
    Options
    please tell me there's a point wherre it gets easy...i feel so grouchy

it doesn't get 'easier' but your stomach does adapt to your now diet. you sound like how i felt two weeks ago..hungry and painfully grumpy! i still get hungry now and I try to stave off the pangs with sugar free gum and plenty of h20. So far so good..wish me luck and I wish you yours! :)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I figure when it starts to feel easy, that's the time to up the standards and make it harder. In other words, it never gets easy.
  • hookilau
    Options
    I'm 5' and 1200 cal per day faaaar from enough!
    I do strength training and move as much as I can (petting mr. fitbit).
    My goal is burn 1700 cal per day so I can NET 1200. Without that, I'd be an axe murderer, the chick with the cheeseburger goes down FIRST! :laugh:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Did you know that not everyone on the planet is the same height, weight, build and gender as you? ::gasp!:: :tongue:

P.S.: OP: It doesn't get much easier. But it's not about easy. It's about being healthy and looking/feeling great.

If you're sedentary, I guess this is plausaible. But even with a little exercise, your TDEE would be around 2100, giving you a reasonable weight loss target of about 1600-1700 cals/day. And as an MFP user, I would guess you do more than just "a little" exercise.
  • hookilau
    Options
    I figure when it starts to feel easy, that's the time to up the standards and make it harder. In other words, it never gets easy.

Noooo, you're confoosed. That's not for dieting, that's for weight training :laugh:
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It gets easier for me after the first two weeks.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

It doesn't have to hurt or not feel easy.

I'm not trying to offer unwanted advice, but I ran your numbers and found a woman of your height and weight can lose weight eating up to ~1600 calories. If you could eat more and still lose weight, wouldn't that make it easier?

It is a popular misconception that it cannot be easy and also be effective. I hope you know it can be both enjoyable and effective.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It always been easy for me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    please tell me there's a point wherre it gets easy...i feel so grouchy

You're really close to your goal weight... only 13 pounds. It gets easier when you realize you're making things TOO HARD for yourself and change your settings. You should be set to lose 0.5 pounds a week. That alone will likely give you a higher calorie goal. Then make sure you're getting regular exercise including strength training. And eat most of your exercise calories. Then track your progress through measurements, how clothes fit, and progress photos, not just the scale.

It'll be easier. Not easy, but easier.
  • hookilau
    Options
    It gets easier for me after the first two weeks.

or first 2 sets...hint hint :flowerforyou:
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just to clear some things up. I am on 1200 calories a day, and I have a hard time (most days) making it to 1200 calories. I eat A LOT of protein and complex carbs which helps to make you feel full. Just taking a quick glance over your diary my advice would be to switch your whole egg to egg whites (it saves almost 50 calories per egg). Don't be afraid to eat bread. Have a slice or two. I like to use the Sarah Lee Whole Wheat 45 calories (per slice). When I have a sandwich or toast, I don't worry about going to high on my calories. Also, don't be afraid to eat more meat such as ham or chicken or fish. Chicken and fish are your most lean meats that are high in protein (again the full feeling). Add veggies and some fruit (they tend to run high in calories so I get the smaller ones like blueberries, blackberries, grapes, etc).

It does take time. For the first month, I needed the 100 calorie snacks to help me break out of my snacking habit. Now (in my 3rd month), I have no problems with snacking.

A typical, 1200 calorie day for me goes something like this:

Breakfast: Three egg whites, slice of cheese, 2 oz sliced ham (or turkey or turkey sausage)- mix together for a delicious omelet. Plus add in a slice of the Sarah Lee 45 calorie toast!!! YUMMY!!!! love, love, love!!! This is about ~184 cal. Very filling, and very nutritious.

Lunch: Fish (or some other type of protein), veggies, fruit. I try to mix it up. The other day I had a turkey and cheese grilled sandwich with Romaine lettuce. With broccoli, celery (with light ranch- One thing to help make veggies easier for me), and blackberries. That meal was ~298 cal

Dinner: Tonight, I had 4 oz of boneless, skinless chicken breast, broccoli with cheese, and whole grain rice. That meal was about ~389 cal

Snack Ideas (if I feel hungry): Fiber one bars (they are great for adding more fiber to your diet, but gradually increase your fiber intake. I am up to 25g per day from a measly 10g per day. Fiber helps with adding to the full feeling). Veggies and fruit are always a low calorie, but nutritious snack idea. If there are the few days where I'm craving something sweet, I have a smart ones dessert they run about 140 cal or a laughing cow ice cream bar which is about the same (140 cal depending on the kind you get).

It does take time to get used to it. Especially if you were like me and ate around 3000 calories a day. I am 3 months in, and I have learned what food makes me feel fuller longer. Believe me, I love food!!! I will never starve myself. My husband can even attest to that. I challenge myself to see how much food I can get on my plate for the least amount of calories. :-) Also, if there are times when you feel hungry, but you just ate, try drinking water. You may just be thirsty. Don't stress too much though if you go over. You can do it.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

If you're sedentary, I guess this is plausaible. But even with a little exercise, your TDEE would be around 2100, giving you a reasonable weight loss target of about 1600-1700 cals/day. And as an MFP user, I would guess you do more than just "a little" exercise.

Agree. Don't buy the I'm small BS. I'm 5'2 and small frame and 1200 is way too low. I will take my 2000+ and be happy. :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I'm 5' 3" and I never ate below 1700 cals a day. :huh:
  • CakePlate
    CakePlate Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since Jan 6, 2013 and it has not gotten easier! I think that we are so used to sabbotaging that we are fighting against ourselves. I have to force myself to exercise, but the exercise helps make up for those occassional slip ups. Hang in there. The more you lose and the better you look, the better you will eventually feel. It is a hard process, but it is totally worth it!!
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It will get easier. But it will always take consistency and determination and focus. You can do it! Take one day at a time. Small changes. Once you get through a couple weeks or months you might look back and say wow, that was easy!
  • hookilau
    Options
    It gets easier when it becomes second nature and you don't have to think about it, just do it.
    there. you made me say it. :sad:

No, really, it will get easier to deal with, once you figure out how to deal :ohwell: I promise.