Am I in the wrong? WARNING: RANT/VENT

Options
Danger2OneSelf
Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
I just need some feedback on this from others outside the family circle. Ok so my sister and her new fiancee were over for dinner the other day and they told informed me that they were leaving to go snowmobiling on her boyfriends sled. I was a little leary just because for 1 my sister told me how she really isn't into it and he's been trying to get her to go now for a while and now she was finally giving in and 2 I hardly know this guy and don't trust him AT ALL. I told him to be careful and reiterated the point that she is my only sister. He told me " don't worry man, I'm a very cautious and responsible driver".

So today I was talking with my uncle when he informed me that apparently Chad (my sisters fiancee) hasn't showed up for work in two days (He works for my uncle's metal fabricating buisness) because of a snowmobile accident a couple days ago....well this was news to me! Wouldn't you know it happened to be the night he took my sister out for a joy ride. I know accidents happen and everything, we're only human, but something seemed fishy, it's not like my sister to not inform me of things like this. I called her and she was very vague of the entire incident and I got the feeling he was right there....which turned out to be the case. I asked how fast they were going and how it happened and she just said they weren't going fast at all but hit a snow drift and flew off....

Well I did a little digging and talked to a mutual friend who happenend to be with them. He told me that he was going about 90 and wasn't keeping up with them. They were about 50 yards ahead when the side of the sled hit lifted up and when it did the sled just lifted in the air and both them and the sled went flying in the air. 911 was called and they both spent the night in the hospital. Chad broke his leg and his wrist and my sister broke her collar bone and her face was all beat up from banging her helmet against the ice while they tumbled across it. The first I heard about this was two days later from my uncle, neither one of them said a word to anyone else. I might also add this is Chads first sled and his first winter driving one...not exactly the kind of experience that would make one feel comfortable going 90 while sitting passenger.

I called my sister and told her I was coming over to see her, by the time I got there Chad was already gone...aparently he had some errands that he just had to run at 9pm. Needles to say my blood was boiling after I saw the condition my sister was in her face was a mess completely black and blue. I waited for about an hour before I left for him to come back before deciding he wasn't coming as long as I was there.

When I got home I txted chad after he ignored many of my calls. I told him how flat out: " this is my only sister and I could care less how you ride by yourself but you're a ****ing idiot for driving like that with my sister on the back, next time use your head" he responded: " ok I'll just let your make my life decisions for me" I told him what balls he has to say *kitten* like that over a txt and he simply said "yeah ok"....I ended it telling him to save the sarcasm for when we're face to face.

Some background on the two of them (it plays a big part in my anxiety about their relationship): I know the guy because he went to highschool with me. He's 3 years older then her. He is extremely shy and awkward and never talks to anyone, even know., so is my sister. My sister is only 19 and this is only her 2nd boyfriend ever. She moved back to the states just to start dating him after txting back and forth while she was abroad. 3 months after they started dating he proposed to her and she naively accepted now they are set to get married in May this year. In the time since they've been together I can count on two hands how many times I've actually interacted with him. He is an absolute stranger to me and the rest of my family.

I know for a fact that he has very poor rationing skills. My friend Freddy was at a party that he was hosting back in Highschool and apparently p!ssed him off, well Chad wanted him to leave and rather then approaching him and telling him so he decided to grab his 9mm and point it at his head while telling him to get the fuk of his property! ( this is not a joke or an exaggeration at all!) There was another incident that I witnessed similar to that when they were visiting at my house. They both showed up because my sister had just bought a bow because she wanted to get into hunting and they wanted to shoot it in my back yard. Well while they were in the kitchen getting ready to shoot it a friend of mine that I didn't want to talk to showed up at the door. I reacted " ****, lets go in the living room I don't want him to see I'm here or he'll never leave" Chad said don't worry I'll take care of it....So the mother fuker grabs the bow off the counter and throws and arrow in it and starts walking towards the door! I thought he was kidding at first but he made it clear he wasn't at all. I made him put the bow down while I handled it.

So ya there's my rant. Am I overreacting to him being so irresponsible with my little sister and getting her hurt? Mainly am I in the wrong with how I responded to his sarcastic little comments when I confronted him about it all? I mean not once did he express how sorry he was for landing her in the hospital! I'm seriously afraid I might loose it infront of him the next time I see the little *kitten* . I am so worried because she's due to marry him in a few months and the more I learn about him the less I like him! Might I add my sister has Aspergers syndrome...a high functioning form of autism. She is extremely naive and doesn't know how to properly react in situations like this!

Well I talked to Chad

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are over reacting at all. I probably would've killed the guy if I were you! Sound like a real douche balloon!
  • fullofhope76
    Options
    No you are not overreacting. You are being a protective brother and for good reason. Good luck with it all. Just be careful that you don't do something that will get you into trouble.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Definitely not an overreaction. I know we don't have guns and weapons openly available over here but this guy is blatently unstable.

Anyway that anyone (not yourself) can dig up some more dirt on this guy that your sister can see? If it's from you she might take it the wrong way.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    that is messed up and scary. i don't know if there's anything you can do other than express your concern to your sister and the rest of your family. he sounds like really bad news. unfortunately she has to make the decision herself. :-/
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    "2 I hardly know this guy and don't trust him AT ALL."

"I know the guy because he went to highschool with me"

?????
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think you are being protective because you know he's a tool.

Your sister is also being devious however as I get the feeling you might be slightly overbearing on her which is why she hasn't told you about the accident.

My sister married a complete, grade A douche bag and they argue sometimes. The trouble is you give your feedback and support and they end up going back to them. It has happened so many times now we just don't give our opinion anymore as her husband would love nothing more than for us to alienate her so he has her all to himself to treat as he see's fit.

Be VERY careful meddling like this. She is an adult and you must respect her adult choices, regardless of the aspergers.

You judge too much, you may just push her away entirely.
  • melissab6968
    melissab6968 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You showed great restraint in my opinion! You are completely right in wanting to watch out for your sister!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you're not overreacting, but the more you say he is a bad guy and she shouldnt be with him, the more she will want to be with him.

your best idea is try to call a truce and make friends with the guy so you are at least then part of him and your sisters life... not great, but its all you can do. your sister is an adult after all, and she has to make her own decisions, even if you dont agree with them.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    You're not overreacting. The fact that he was not being respectful to his fiancee's family speaks volumes.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You're caught in a sticky situation. On the one hand you don't want your sister with this guy because he is dangerous, but on the other hand she is considered an adult. Is she seeing a psychiatrist for her Aspergers? My daughter has it and sees a neuropsychiatrist to help her deal with it and every day life. If she is in therapy, talk with her psychiatrist. If she's not, try to get her into therapy. People with Aspergers don't always realize the consequences of their decisions.
  • jamie610811
    jamie610811 Posts: 1,734 Member
    Options
    Take him for a long ride in your car at night , park up and have a man to man chat , I think you will find he won't speak to you in that way ever again . My daughters ex-boy friend didn't speak or see my daughter ever again :laugh:
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options

?????

I know about people I went to high school with enough to know their personalities but I don't know them personally. It made sense to me.

Not overreacting, at all. Just be careful you don't end up in a position where she's given an ultimatum by him.
  • celb500
    celb500 Posts: 76
    Options
    I work with young adults with autism and aspergers and listening to this story i am very concerned for her wellbeing. This guy seems as though he is taking advantage of her. big time. You are 100% right to be protective and worried. I don't have any advice for you because she will do whatever she wants to do, aspergers or not she is still 19! You will just have to be there to pick up the pieces when he lets her down.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    Personally, I would have dragged him behind my car for a bit and asked if he now understands your position....

But thats just how I was raised.
  • Danieboo757
    Options
    Don't waist ur time with him u HAVE to find a way to get thru to ur sister...may he's the one with some type of handicap
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you are. Your sister is 19 and is fully capable of making her own decisions. If she didn't want to get on the sled, she didn't have to. Nobody put a gun to her head and forced her to. I know you're protective over your only sister, but you can't keep jumping between them everytime something happens that you don't like. Going over to the house in a fit of rage (with intentions to fight the dude, it seems) is a little too excessive. Imagine all the trouble this could cause when they get married.
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Not overreacting, You are looking out for your little sister.

Like others have said though, you have to let her make her own choices. the more you try tell her no, the more she is going to want to see him and if you threaten him, he will go back to her and make you look the bad guy. I don't know why this is but it is something we have all been through, when you talk to her about it, try not to bad mouth him, try build her confidence in helself to speak up if she doesn't agree with something he is doing.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

?????

So I am not the only one that noticed this.

OP if you went to highschool with him than you probably have a basic idea of who he is. If you were my brother I would tell you to eff off and mind your own business. I have 3 brothers all of which are very protective of me, but they all know their boundaries and if they don't they learn them in a damn big hurry.

I know she is your sister and you are being protective but she has made her own decisions - she isn't a baby anymore and sometimes you may not agree with her decisions but you have to respect them. She obviously trusts him, she obviously loves him, she obviously didn't want to tell you about the accident because she knew how you were going to react.

I would express my concern to her and then let it go. seriously. LET IT GO. she is 19 if she wants to get on a sled with a guy that doesn't have a lot of experience that is her choice it may not be a smart choice and it may not be the choice you would want her to make but she is her own person and you have to let her make her own mistakes.

Its unfortunate that she got hurt, and I would be angry too but you have to know that it was not like he intentionally hurt her - I could see if he beat the crap out of her but it was an accident, accidents do happen and it could have happened at any speed, in any vehicle, at any time.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    you did not overreact good job at not beating the daylights out of him and keeping your 'cool' with your sister i'm 1 of 5 daughters and no brothers but that dosent mean we have a lack of over protective siblings. just air on the side of cauion that if you intfer to to far you can damage what you and your sister have but by all means her safe is # 1 good luck!!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You are a good brother! Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of advice for you. I wouldn't let this go, though. Obviously your sister with her condition depends on those who love her to keep her safe. I work with a man who has a daughter with Asperger's and it's been really difficult, especially as she gets older, to help her make sound, rational decisions. I would say, though, that you need some sort of neutral, trusted party to help. It sounds like this guy will basically push her around to do whatever he wants.