The power of the banana!

Options
__Di__
__Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
This morning, knowing that I was going to go running, I ate two bananas for breakfast and I realize now that I have been completely underestimating the power of the banana!!!

Energy, quick fix?? Bloody incredible burst I had!

I shall be eating more bananas before running in future and in particular before any race I run.

The banana is now my hero!

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It's called sugar, but yes they are delicious and helpful. Good for post workouts too.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Low fat, high carb, digest quickly. Bananarama.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I always have 1/2 before working out in the morning too as it's the only thing I can digest quickly enough. I feel ill with an empty stomach or anything else.

I know this is going to bring out the bros but does anyone know if it is it an effective pre-workout snack or are you then just running on sugar and not burning your fat blah blah blah...?
  • __Di__
    Options
    I always have 1/2 before working out in the morning too as it's the only thing I can digest quickly enough. I feel ill with an empty stomach or anything else.

I know this is going to bring out the bros but does anyone know if it is it an effective pre-workout snack or are you then just running on sugar and not burning your fat blah blah blah...?

No idea, I just ate two (180 calories) for breakfast and then burned off 464 calories, I was just amazed at the energy burst though.

Can'[t wait for my next race now haha.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    sausage > banana
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9j3mzc3pI1rt2pbh_zps5b1c4d9b.gif
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    no one has mentioned potassium, so i thought i'd throw that in there.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout, every morning.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I love bananas! I eat 2 or 3 a day. Great source of potassium for balancing my sodium intake.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Watch tennis players in matches. They are always downing bananas. Great energy source and nutrients. I have bananas daily. Almost to the point I can skip coffee.
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've read several articles that say a banana is the best thing to eat before a workout and a cup of chocolate milk afterward.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Banana in my mouth
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I've read several articles that say a banana is the best thing to eat before a workout and a cup of chocolate milk afterward.

I live by this philosophy.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    bananas are high gi carbs which i'm pretty sure means they kill you.
  • AbbieZabba
    AbbieZabba Posts: 110
    Options
    bananaman.jpg

bananaso.jpg
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    That's why I don't. I do HIIT to burn off my burgers all day.
  • __Di__
    Options
    no one has mentioned potassium, so i thought i'd throw that in there.

Bloody good point too, glad you did! The best time to eat a banana is as the brown spots start to appear anbd the darker the banana gets, the more Potassium is contains.

I used to like them just coming off the green stage, but prefer them much riper now.
  • __Di__
    Options
    bananas are high gi carbs which i'm pretty sure means they kill you.

No, they are medium gi carbs and in the same category as whole wheat or enriched wheat, pita bread, basmati rice, potato, grape juice, raisins, prunes, pumpernickel bread, cranberry juice, regular ice cream and sucrose and no, they won't kill you lol.