How many $$$ to be expensive - Restaurant?

Options

Replies

• melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    We very seldom go out and eat because it is so expensive. My husband loves to cook and we can have fun cooking meals with all our new cooking stuff we got from our wedding. And it is so good!! I would say spending $20.00 and up is expensive to me. I hate spending a lot of food. Like I said, it is a treat when we go out which is very very seldom.
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I travel for business often and have a daily limit of $65 for all meals. If I blow it on just dinner, that's expensive. Breakfast over $12 is expensive. Lunch over $25 is expensive. Dinner over $50 is expensive.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Over €200 for two seems to verging on the expensive.

Including drink? If so I agree.

A bistro type meal where I come from for 2 with a couple of drinks is anything from £90-£130. A bottle of wine with that would be a good £30-£50+ on top of that.

Upscale can be anything from £150+ depending on what you eat, courses taken, wine etc.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    atmosphere

Word.

A lot of people forget that is part of the cost.

it is...you pay for more than food...you pay for attentive staff, quiet backgrounds, low lighting and well cared for tables....you pay for the experience of it just being you and the other person enjoying a meal without the sweat and work....and allowing each other to focus on the two of you and your life, day, and care of each other...

the more expensive the place, the more you should have these things.......if I were paying a lot of money and NOT getting these things...or an experience (because some restaurants offer an experience with the prices) then I would be concerned.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    For me, up to around £50 ($75) is ok for a meal for 2, including drinks and tip.

I don't go out to restaurants a lot though, just on special occasions really.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a universal threshold. It depends on what you're used to. I grew up in a small town in East Texas, where a family of 5 could eat at Golden Corral for $30. I didn't realize until I went to college in Austin that Applebees and Chilis are not "expensive" restaurants. Having lived in Austin and Houston for the past 12 years, I would say $50+ per person is expensive. $20ish to $40ish per person is mid-range, and if you can get an app, entree, drinks, and dessert for less than $20 per person, that's cheap.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Can I just ask where the heck you can all eat out for $20 - $30?

Are you all talking about eating one course?
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My most expensive meal was in Vegas @ $380 for myself though, I like fancy places lol

^true story. I've seen the receipt! (freakin' lunatic).

That said, Expensive for me is $40+ per entrée, but again, I'm in Canada. Eating out is costly here. The most I've paid for a meal for myself (+ my share of the wine) was $180 euro or about $240...worth every penny. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    $125+ per person without wine or tip
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

But you order three entrees for yourself.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

But you order three entrees for yourself.

QFT.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Depends entirely on the food, who is preparing it, and what my wallet looks like.

I've had $10 hamburgers that were the best ever and I would have happily paid $50 for them, back when I would have paid $50 for a burger.

I've had meals prepared by famous chefs that should have boggled the mind, but really weren't worth half what somebody else paid for them.

It's all relative.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    We never go to fast food joints and rarely eat out, so, when we do, price is not a factor. We usually make our decisions based on type of fare and occasion.

I love to cook, so I'd rather make something special for my wife at home.

That's really nice. :flowerforyou:
  • Mrder37
    Mrder37 Posts: 904
    Options
    If you don't get a free toy it's a fancy restaurant :)
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If a restaurant has apps for $4-7, and entrees for $12-18 I generally consider that reasonable. Anything below that is cheap, anything above that is "spendy" and if you hit $50-60 per person then you're getting expensive.

I'd say most of my meals out for dinner fall in the reasonable category (lunch would usually be cheap). Sometimes I get spendy and once every few years I'll do expensive.
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Over $30 with tip for one person is expensive for me, but I also stick to water 95% of the time so I can stay under fairly well at regular restos (and eat to my hearts content :heart: ).
  • aeg1986
    aeg1986 Posts: 7
    Options
    My most expensive meal was in Vegas @ $380 for myself though, I like fancy places lol

^true story. I've seen the receipt! (freakin' lunatic).

That said, Expensive for me is $40+ per entrée, but again, I'm in Canada. Eating out is costly here. The most I've paid for a meal for myself (+ my share of the wine) was $180 euro or about $240...worth every penny. :)

Oh my gosh, eating out in Canada IS expensive!! What does a typical meal in Canada cost if you were to eat out?
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    $200, but there's 5 of us.

We don't do expensive dinners often. :)
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If it's going to keep from being able to pay my bills, then it's too much. Otherwise, I don't mind how expensive the place is as long as it lives up to it's price tag!
  • mconway79
    mconway79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Id say a regular meal at a restaurant (not fast food) to me I would not think twice if it was in the $12 to$18 range. I would consider above my normal comfort zone in the $25 to $30 range and expensive for me is above $30. I do how ever not consider ordering a $10 appetizer for hubby and I and each ordering $18 meals to be to expensive. It is a lot of money but not expensive. We usually would add pop or alcoholic beverage to that as well. To me $75-85 is reasonable for the two of us to go out and have an appetizer, drink and a nice meal with tip.