Protein Shakes are making me BULK

2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    When you say you are doing some strength training, what are you doing?
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    I do light weights, 36 pressups, 100 sit ups and Im doing the squat challenege. Plus I run, and crosstrain.

You can say 'um, no' all you want but if you saw me you would understand why i have asked! And i was looked for advice and reasoning, and it sounds like fluid retention could be a good reason.
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    And i log every single thing I eat and drink religiously, so i know im not overstepping calories.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    If you only lift light weights, you definitely aren't bulking up.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I do light weights, 36 pressups, 100 sit ups and Im doing the squat challenege. Plus I run, and crosstrain.

You can say 'um, no' all you want but if you saw me you would understand why i have asked! And i was looked for advice and reasoning, and it sounds like fluid retention could be a good reason.

Umm..... No.

None of this would make you gain muscle mass. Bulky muscles have weight. Has the scale shown an increase while you are netting 900 calories per day. Water retention is not BULK.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    The guys here are just jealous of your gains
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Are you consuming calories above your TDEE?

Yesterday was a typical day, I ate 1700 calories and burnt 800 at the gym

You are not bulking if you are only consuming net 900 calories.

Also, women cannot bulk up unless they use drugs.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    No - you are most likely swollen due to fluid retention, both from the high-protein diet (excessive protein consumption makes your kidneys work hard and can cause constipation, both of which will lead to fluid retention), and from the exercise you are doing. When you work out muscles that are not adapted to it, you produce multiple micro-tears in the muscle tissue. This is injury, which in turn produces inflammation, part of which is engorgement of tissue with fluid.

The two together are sufficient to produce your result of enlarged legs. You are more than likely building very minimal new muscle tissue with your current intake. irrespective of how much protein you consume.

I wonder at the wisdom of exercise newbies combining sudden large increases in protein intake with sudden onslaught of muscle-injuring workout regimens. Together they result in a considerable load on the kidneys and liver.