SHAKEOLOGY - Day 1 from a Skeptic

Options

Replies

• susanmarnold
    Options
    I love my Shakeology and contribute a bit part of my success to it!

My favorite:

1 scoop Chocolate
    1 cup Almond Milk
    1 frozen Banana
    5 ice cubes

YUMMY!
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    I love my Shakeology and contribute a bit part of my success to it!

My favorite:

1 scoop Chocolate
    1 cup Almond Milk
    1 frozen Banana
    5 ice cubes

YUMMY!

Thanks for the recipe idea! :)
  • TrishaCooper423
    TrishaCooper423 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is more than just a quick meal. It has over 70 nutrients that your body needs daily.
    There is no way that you can get this from bacon, eggs, and toast.... I just purchased my first bag two weeks ago. I was also VERY skeptical about the price, because I am a mother of 3 wonderful children.
    With everything that is in it, you would definitely be paying more than 4 dollars per shake a day. There are also a ton of different recipes that you can make from this, including No Bake Cookies and Ice Cream! These definitely are NOT breakfast meals! :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is more than just a quick meal. It has over 70 nutrients that your body needs daily.
    There is no way that you can get this from bacon, eggs, and toast.... I just purchased my first bag two weeks ago. I was also VERY skeptical about the price, because I am a mother of 3 wonderful children.
    With everything that is in it, you would definitely be paying more than 4 dollars per shake a day. There are also a ton of different recipes that you can make from this, including No Bake Cookies and Ice Cream! These definitely are NOT breakfast meals! :)

How many of those ingredients are in efficacious dosages to get those benefits?
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I finally decided to give Shakeology a try. But I am going to start to what led up to this because I am a believer in NOT replacing meals with shakes....the changes we decide to make in life must be something we can make for a lifetime or they won't stick.

Let me just say that I love breakfast!!! I was raised in the country where FRIED meant LOVE! My mom always made fried foods. I love a big ole country breakfast which usually includes: Fried Eggs, Fried Potatoes, Fried Bacon and many other such unhealthy things!!!!! :)

Before I started watching what I ate I would go get 2 Breakfast Jacks and a Large Fry for Breakfast from Jack in the Box. UGH!!!!!!!! That is disqusting now. Haha. Can't believe I would eat that bad.

I still have my fried foods for breakfast...usually a Potato, Egg and Cheese Taco with Jalapenos and Salsa. Only runs me about 300 calories but the sodium and cholesterol are terrible. I don't think there are any good nutrients in this. Plus I was/am spending up to $5 a day on Breakfast...just on the weekdays....on the weekends more.

I have really tried to change my breakfast habits....because I want to like healthier things for breakfast....I went through a lot of egg whites, english muffins, etc. I still fall back into my cravings. And I never get enough nutrients.

So....this is what made me think Shakeology would be good for me. Not because I want to be thin. Not because I want a quick fix....but because I want what I start my day with to be packed full of nutrients to provide energy and good choices for my body throughout the whole day. :) My main concerns were/are:

Am I going to be hungry still?
    Is it going to taste good?
    Is the cost worth it?

So....

THE COST:

Shakeology is $119.00 a month. WOW! But when you break this down and realize how much you are already spending a month on breakfast....it evens out.
    I was spending $5/day on weekdays and let's say $7/per day on weekends.
    20 weekdays a month x $5 a day = $100.00
    8 weekend days a month x $7 a day = $56
    That's $156.00 a month!!!! Uh...what?!?!?!

Definitely worth the price. CHECK!

THE HUNGER:

So....I made my Shakeology at 7:30 am. Started drinking it as I walked out the door and didn't finish it until 10 am!!!!!! It took me so long to finish because I was feeling FULL!!!! And here it is 11:57 am and I am still FULL! I am usually clawing at my face ready for lunch by now.

I made my Shakeology as below:

1 Scoop of Chocolate Shakeology
    8 oz Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    4 Ice Cubes
    Blend in blender!

Curbs the hunger!!!!! CHECK!

THE TASTE:

So....I was warned by my beachbody coach that Shakeology does have a chalky taste...And this is true. It's not terrible. But it's not the best I have ever had. What would you expect though with so many good ingredients jam packed into one shake. And there are several recipes to pruce this shake up. I just had mine plain jane. The flavor was not bad...little chalky but I could definitely drink this everyday. It tastes better knowing that what I am putting in my body is good for me. :)

Tastes decent but not amazing! Check!!

Overall, I am very satified with my purchase so far. I feel great. And the best part is...I haven't had nor have I craved a Diet Dr Pepper today. I am so addicted to those. This is going to help me in so many ways. :) Just thought I would include some information on Chocoloate Shakeology below for those interested.

NUTRIENT GROUP INGREDIENTS BENEFITS*
    Proteins and Amino Acids
    Vitamins and Minerals
    Antioxidants
    Phytonutrients
    Adaptogen Herbs
    Prebiotics
    Probiotics
    Digestive Enzymes
    Whey protein, brown rice protein, pea protein, sacha inchi, quinoa, chia, flax, amaranth
    Vitamins
    Vitamins A, C, D, E, and K, vitamins B1, 2, 3, 6, and 12, biotin, pantothenic acid, folic acid
    Minerals
    Calcium, chromium, copper, iodine, iron, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum,
    phosphorous, zinc
    Açai berries, acerola cherry, bilberry, blueberries, camu-camu, goji berries, pomegranate, rose hips, luo han guo, grape seed, green tea
    Moringa, chlorella, spirulina, spinach, barley grass, kamut grass, oat grass, wheatgrass
    Astragalus, ashwagandha, cordyceps, gingko leaf, tulsi (holy basil leaf), maca root, maitake mushroom, reishi mushroom, schisandra
    Yacon root
    Bacillus coagulans
    (Lactobacillus sporogenes)
    Amylase, bromelain, cellulase, lactase, lipase, papain, protease
    • Help build and repair muscles
    • Reduce hunger and food cravings
    • Help keep blood sugar steady
    • Promote healthy skin, hair, and nails
    • Support brain function to help promote alert thinking and well-being
    • Support your immune system to help you stay healthy and strong
    • There are 13 vitamins that are considered essential for proper body function. Shakeology has all of them.
    • There are a total of 23 vitamins and minerals in Shakeology.
    • These vitamins and minerals are important micronutrients your body needs to carry out every chemical process needed for life.
    • Help your cells make energy
    • Build and repair muscles and strengthen bones
    • Support energy production
    • Protect the body from free radicals
    • Prevent cellular damage
    • Promote cardiovascular health
    • Support strong immune function
    • Promote healthy aging
    • Help detoxify the body
    • Promote an ideal alkaline state
    • Help promote strong immune system function
    • Help the body cope with environmental stress
    • Naturally help increases energy
    • Help promote ideal cognitive function
    • Promote calmness
    • Probiotics need special nutrients—prebiotics—to grow and thrive
    • Yacon root has the highest concentration of prebiotics of any plant in the world
    • Helps strengthen the immune system
    • These are the good, healthy bacteria that live in your intestines
    • Promote healthy digestion and normal colon function
    • Help you break down food so you can assimilate nutrients better

You get free milk with your shakeology? Nobody ever seems to factor that into their cost.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not going to comment...but definitely....

1242925128_houseomnomnom.gif
  • cmherb76
    cmherb76 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    $119 a month? evens out? That's $4 a day for breakfast. A decent breakfast with eggs, cottage cheese, and fruit/veg can be had for like, two bucks, maybe three. And it's a lot better for you.

I agree that there are definitely cheaper ways to have a healthy breakfast. I was merely stating that FOR ME, it even out and I would actually save a little. I will not drink this forever, but it's nice to know AT THE MOMENT that this is worth it FOR ME!

THANKS! :D

I think you are getting a little defensive now with all of the exclamation marks. You stated your opinion and now everyone else gets to state their opinion. Just read and don't reply if you are going to be so defensive.
  • k8ermarie
    Options

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. I appreciate your comment and commend you on your steps to a healthy lifestyle. I have 2 boys. Good luck to you. :)
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You found something that works for you and it's yummy! I didn't like the greenberry or the tropical, found them very chalky, but I do like the chocolate!!

You get free milk with your shakeology? Nobody ever seems to factor that into their cost.

When I was drinking Shakeology, I didn't always mix with milk. Water was just fine with me. Scoop in the cup to take to work, add the water when I got hungry from the filtered water and shake. Plus most people already buy milk and instead of just drinking it plain, they add the Shakeology to it.
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    $119 a month? evens out? That's $4 a day for breakfast. A decent breakfast with eggs, cottage cheese, and fruit/veg can be had for like, two bucks, maybe three. And it's a lot better for you.

I agree that there are definitely cheaper ways to have a healthy breakfast. I was merely stating that FOR ME, it even out and I would actually save a little. I will not drink this forever, but it's nice to know AT THE MOMENT that this is worth it FOR ME!

THANKS! :D

I think you are getting a little defensive now with all of the exclamation marks. You stated your opinion and now everyone else gets to state their opinion. Just read and don't reply if you are going to be so defensive.

I am not being defensive. People would absolutely know it if I was. I am more the polite put you in your place with my smarts type of girl. I was just making it clear that I agree this is not for everyone and that I agree there are many ways to get a healthy meal but I am choosing what I deem best for me. I absolutely agree as well that others are entitled to express there own opinion. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted this to the public forum! :) Maybe you shouldn't take my exclamations so personally!

Thanks for your comment! :D
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    Good for you! You found something that works for you and it's yummy! I didn't like the greenberry or the tropical, found them very chalky, but I do like the chocolate!!

When I was drinking Shakeology, I didn't always mix with milk. Water was just fine with me. Scoop in the cup to take to work, add the water when I got hungry from the filtered water and shake. Plus most people already buy milk and instead of just drinking it plain, they add the Shakeology to it.

Thank you. I am hoping it works very well for me! :) I have not tried to mix with water but I will give that a try as well. I do already purchase milk weekly so it works out well for me. Thanks for your positive comments!
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it is a scam, but people should really do their research, because there are a lot of ingredients you do not want to mix with certain prescription medications. I was interested, but I am on anti coagulation meds and Shakeology would be very dangerous for me. Wish I could use it!
  • k8ermarie
    Options
    I don't believe it is a scam, but people should really do their research, because there are a lot of ingredients you do not want to mix with certain prescription medications. I was interested, but I am on anti coagulation meds and Shakeology would be very dangerous for me. Wish I could use it!

This is a very good point. Thanks for your information. Fortunately for me, I do not take any prescription or over the counter medications.

Thanks!
  • GlorianEversea
    Options
    Whether shakeology is sustainable for people or not is sort of a red herring.

But when making a complete lifestyle change, every bit of grease on the wheel helps. Shakeology kept me from needing to worry about everything at once, ata time when it's very easy to quit or just decide its all too hard.
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a beachbody coach and I drink shakeology on a daily basis. I prefer the chocolate shakeology and there are many different recipes to try with it. I drink mine with almond milk, ice and a tablespoon of peanut butter. It's awesome. The ingredients in shakeology are whole food ingredients and is a plant based diet. Since drinking shakeology I have noticed I have more energy, I'm less hungry, I've lost a few pounds and it's helped my hair and nails grow. I'm not just saying this hoping to make a sale I'm saying this because of what it has done for me.
    Lisa
  • TrishaCooper423
    TrishaCooper423 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

How many of those ingredients are in efficacious dosages to get those benefits?

All of the ingredients in Shakeology serve a purpose. There are different ingredients that have different results.

Proprietary Super-Protein Blend: The Whey, Sacha Inchi, Chia, Flax, Quinoa, Amaranth, Pea - Help to build lean muscles, improve skin and hair, support mental clarity, and reduce cravings

Proprietary Super Fruit/Anitoxidant Blend: Camu-Camu, Acai, Acerola Cherry, Bilberry, Goji Berry, Grape Seed, Green Tea, Luo Han Gua, Pomegranate, Rose hips - provides antioxidant support and promotes a healthy heart and optimal blood pressure.

Proprietary Super-green/Phytonutrient Blend: Moringa, Chlorella, Spirulina, Spinach, Barley Grass, Kamut Grass, Wheat Grass, Oat Grass - helps alkalize the body and promotes detoxifacation of the liver, kidneys, and blood to restore health and vitality.

Proprietary Adoptogen Blend: Ashwagandha, Astragalus, Cordycepts, Ginkgo, Maca, Maitake, Reishi, Shisandra, Tulsi (holy basil) - Helps protect the body from stress, support the immune system, and balance the endocrine system.

Prorprietary Pre-and Probiotic/ Digestive Enzyme Blend: Yacon Root, Lactobacillus, Sporogenes, Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase, Protease, Bromelain, Papain - Helps increase the nutrient absorption, promotes regularity, and improves digestion
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    bump...these threads are always entertaining.
  • faireplay
    faireplay Posts: 126
    Options
    But do those ingredients occur in the shakes in large enough amounts to make a fig of difference? Vitamin C is good but if I buy a pill that only gives me 10 percent of how much I need each day then I am wasting my money.
  • mrscompgeek
    Options
    Let me start by saying I do not sell, use or ever tried Shakeology. I make my own shake for lunch using spinach and fruits.

I agree that there are cheaper, better for you things you can eat for breakfast. BUT I also think that in some cases its a good choice for some people. Take my sister in law for instance. She drinks some kind of shake, cant remember what its called, but its expensive and probably not as good as eggs and toast for breakfast or even oatmeal but her "normal" breakfast she eats is peanut butter cups and mountain dew. So yeah, a shake is a MUCH better choice for her. Granted she isnt learning anything because as soon as she drops a few pounds she will go back to peanut butter cups and mountain dew.

So thats my 2 cents. Just because you have time or desire to make eggs every morning not everyone does. For someone like the OP who is trying to transition to better choices I think its great.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Not going to comment...but definitely....

1242925128_houseomnomnom.gif

LOL!!!
    Seriously, I am sick of people bashing and hating on supplement and meal replacement and blah blah blah topics
    I use a supplement - tho I am not releasing the name - that REALLY has helped me
    It does not replace anything - it SUPPLEMENTS
    and it works for me
    Unless you can get fresh, organic grown fruits and veggies for a decent price you are never gonna get EVERYTHING you need
    My supplement is from a provider who has a farm that grows those fresh, organic items and creates supplements with them
    I have EXPERIENCED the benefits and will continue to use them!
    I don't mind people trying to sell stuff that works for them, as long as they back off immediately when I say no thanks. If something sounds like it will benefit, I just might try and be glad I did but this site is out of control sometimes!