Food: How hot and spicy for you?

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
On a scale of 1 to 10, how hot and spicy can you eat without it becoming uncomfortable for you to enjoy?

Back 30 years ago I would have said an 8 or a 9, but thee days I prefer more like a 7 or 8. I can still eat habaneros, and such, but I don't eat them like I used to.

I ask this on a day when I just planted seeds for 6 Bhut Jolokia ( Naga or Ghost ) peppers, a bunch of "Brain Strain" peppers, and the brand new ( waiting for verification from Guiness Book of World Records ) world's hottest pepper - The Carolina Reaper. Oh, and I also planted several of the Trinidad Scorpion Peppers.

I don't eat them whole, but I like adding them to things. Plus I give a lot away. And I also like seeing people's reaction to them when I tell them what they are. Some people actually have a look of fear on their faces. LOL.

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I'm from South Louisiana; spicy food is a way of life. I used to think I could handle spicy....then I had Vietnamese food. :explode:
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Once it takes away from the flavor, I'm out. But I like my food and women hot & spicy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm from New Mexico...everything has red or green chile or jalapenos or some other kind of pepper. I like it hot baby..going with an 8. I still like to taste the food, but if I'm don't have a good trickle of sweat coming down my brow then it's just a waste of my time.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Medium Salsa in a jar makes me sweat...
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I can take the heat as long as the flavor is there as well. It needs that balance
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I like me some hot *kitten*! ((pic is cut off but I am to lazy to re-size))
    download_zps63b4afac.jpg
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    8+; I enjoy the discomfort of hot and spicy foods, though, so I'm not sure I can answer this question. I enjoy eating spoonfuls of wasabi and get complimented at Korean and Thai restaurants for how hot I'll eat.

However, my discomfort upon exit of all of this is usually like a 20.
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    9-10
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    9!! I love my spicy stuff!
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I can take the heat as long as the flavor is there as well. It needs that balance

^^^ This.

I can probably go up to a 7/8. Anything more than that I feel just doesn't have a flavour profile for my taste buds.
  • BellaLunaFleur
    BellaLunaFleur Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Love hot and spicy food. Its not good for my stomach but I eat it anyway!
  • ziambucks
    Options
    8+! i love spicy things so much, except wasabi, because i had a bad experience with it at a japanese restaurant when i thought it was some kind of avocado sauce and put way too much in my mouth :'(
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Once it takes away from the flavor, I'm out. But I like my food and women hot & spicy.

You wouldn't be saying that if you had chopped up a load of chillis and then went for a wee....not that that happened to me...
  • mightyafrodyte
    mightyafrodyte Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm such a scared cat, I like a 5 or 6 on the spicy meter.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I make a chili with 13 peppers including the ghost pepper, all pureed in so you can't avoid them, seeds and all. Add the five meats and espresso and you have an epic chili that beats you down!
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I like me some hot *kitten*! ((pic is cut off but I am to lazy to re-size))
    download_zps63b4afac.jpg

I used to own a store selling all that stuff.

My all time favorite hot sauce is made in Jacksonville, FL. It is just called Trinidad Hot . They make it all the way up to XXX Hot, but I like the XX Hot..... nice and fruity, but with a really good kick to it, without burning the mouth too much.

LOL, BTW, I see some Melinda's there..... that is made in Belize, and while on my honeymoon, my wife and I stopped at the place they make that stuff and brought back several bottles.And, hearing that we were on our honeymoon, they gave us some for free. You would probably be very surprised at how small the place is where they make that sauce..... about the size of maybe a 12 car garage.
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    Spicy doesnt bother me on the way in...so I gauge spicy by what it does to me afterwards
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Medium Salsa in a jar makes me sweat...

This is my favorite right here...definitely NOT medium...this will blow your friggin' socks off, among other things. Gotta be careful though...too much and flames are shooting out of your *kitten* the next day.

0076588812345_500X500.jpg

1329933774_pants_on_fire_river_dive.gif
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    The hotter the better. I don't even need flavour, if the flavour is "HOT AS HELL." I don't even mind it on the way out... it makes me reminisce about the awesome meal I had.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i go through bottles of hot sauce a week hahahaha sppppppppppicy is good for you