SHAKEOLOGY - Day 1 from a Skeptic

Options

Replies

• ChelleBalady
    Options
    Does anyone have the nutritional information for Shakeolgy? The calories, fat, carbs, and fiber? Thank you in advance.:flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not going to comment...but definitely....

1242925128_houseomnomnom.gif

LOL!!!
    Seriously, I am sick of people bashing and hating on supplement and meal replacement and blah blah blah topics
    I use a supplement - tho I am not releasing the name - that REALLY has helped me
    It does not replace anything - it SUPPLEMENTS
    and it works for me
    Unless you can get fresh, organic grown fruits and veggies for a decent price you are never gonna get EVERYTHING you need
    My supplement is from a provider who has a farm that grows those fresh, organic items and creates supplements with them
    I have EXPERIENCED the benefits and will continue to use them!
    I don't mind people trying to sell stuff that works for them, as long as they back off immediately when I say no thanks. If something sounds like it will benefit, I just might try and be glad I did but this site is out of control sometimes!

I'm just here for the entertainment...

1254825593_big-guy-vs-small-guy.gif
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    Does anyone have the nutritional information for Shakeolgy? The calories, fat, carbs, and fiber? Thank you in advance.:flowerforyou:

This is from the Shakeology Site.

http://images.beachbody.com/tbb/shakeology/PDFs/Chocolate/shakeology_supplement_facts_chocolate.pdf
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    2 dozen eggs -$3
    2 packs of bacon - $6
    2 loafs of bread - $6

Eggs and bacon with toast almost every day and still lost 65 pounds? Priceless.

FCCK YA !! real talk,
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    $119 a month? evens out? That's $4 a day for breakfast. A decent breakfast with eggs, cottage cheese, and fruit/veg can be had for like, two bucks, maybe three. And it's a lot better for you.

I agree that there are definitely cheaper ways to have a healthy breakfast. I was merely stating that FOR ME, it even out and I would actually save a little. I will not drink this forever, but it's nice to know AT THE MOMENT that this is worth it FOR ME!

THANKS! :D

I think you are getting a little defensive now with all of the exclamation marks. You stated your opinion and now everyone else gets to state their opinion. Just read and don't reply if you are going to be so defensive.

I think she's reacting to the usual judgy mcjudgersons very nicely.
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone is speaking positively about Shakeology. It is not a diet shake. It has a lot of nutrition. I have a friend who makes it for her, her husband and her two kids because it is so healthy. Her husband actually mixes it with oatmeal for breakfast.

I am getting my first shipment on Saturday.
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    $119 a month? evens out? That's $4 a day for breakfast. A decent breakfast with eggs, cottage cheese, and fruit/veg can be had for like, two bucks, maybe three. And it's a lot better for you.

I agree that there are definitely cheaper ways to have a healthy breakfast. I was merely stating that FOR ME, it even out and I would actually save a little. I will not drink this forever, but it's nice to know AT THE MOMENT that this is worth it FOR ME!

THANKS! :D

I think you are getting a little defensive now with all of the exclamation marks. You stated your opinion and now everyone else gets to state their opinion. Just read and don't reply if you are going to be so defensive.

I think she's reacting to the usual judgy mcjudgersons very nicely.

Thank you! :D
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is more than just a quick meal. It has over 70 nutrients that your body needs daily.
    There is no way that you can get this from bacon, eggs, and toast.... I just purchased my first bag two weeks ago. I was also VERY skeptical about the price, because I am a mother of 3 wonderful children.
    With everything that is in it, you would definitely be paying more than 4 dollars per shake a day. There are also a ton of different recipes that you can make from this, including No Bake Cookies and Ice Cream! These definitely are NOT breakfast meals! :)

How many of those ingredients are in efficacious dosages to get those benefits?

All of the ingredients in Shakeology serve a purpose. There are different ingredients that have different results.

Proprietary Super-Protein Blend: The Whey, Sacha Inchi, Chia, Flax, Quinoa, Amaranth, Pea - Help to build lean muscles, improve skin and hair, support mental clarity, and reduce cravings

Proprietary Super Fruit/Anitoxidant Blend: Camu-Camu, Acai, Acerola Cherry, Bilberry, Goji Berry, Grape Seed, Green Tea, Luo Han Gua, Pomegranate, Rose hips - provides antioxidant support and promotes a healthy heart and optimal blood pressure.

Proprietary Super-green/Phytonutrient Blend: Moringa, Chlorella, Spirulina, Spinach, Barley Grass, Kamut Grass, Wheat Grass, Oat Grass - helps alkalize the body and promotes detoxifacation of the liver, kidneys, and blood to restore health and vitality.

Proprietary Adoptogen Blend: Ashwagandha, Astragalus, Cordycepts, Ginkgo, Maca, Maitake, Reishi, Shisandra, Tulsi (holy basil) - Helps protect the body from stress, support the immune system, and balance the endocrine system.

Prorprietary Pre-and Probiotic/ Digestive Enzyme Blend: Yacon Root, Lactobacillus, Sporogenes, Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase, Protease, Bromelain, Papain - Helps increase the nutrient absorption, promotes regularity, and improves digestion

Once again the question was not actually answered. You put what they do, not how many of those ingredients are in efficacious dosages to get those benefits? Care to try again? I am curious now
  • peggyreindel
    peggyreindel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Glad to see a post showing some positive things about Shakeology. I have been using Shakeology for several months now for breakfast and I LOVE It! I was used to having a large glass of chocolate milk and 2 pieces of peanut butter toast for breakfast every morning. I had heard about Shakeology so I thought I would try it. My usual recipe for my Shakeology drink is about 1/2 to 3/4 scoop of Chocolate Shakeology (which makes my Shakeology last for more like 50 to 60 days) 4oz skim milk (or almond milk), about 4 oz water, 6 ice cubes and a TBSP peanut butter. I blend that together in a Bullet blender and it is delicious! I have tried the Tropical Strawberry and it is very good also. (If you find that it tastes a little chalky, try blending it for a little longer.) I have found that it is very satisfying, I have it around 7:30a.m. and then eat my lunch around 12:00. It gives me more energy and I don't have the sweet cravings that I used to get mid-morning and mid-afternoon when I am having it for breakfast. I am not using it for weight loss so much as I am using it more for all around health and nutrition benefits. Right now I haven't had it for about 2 weeks and I can really feel a difference! I am having the sweets cravings again and everyday in the afternoon I get a headache (which I feel is probably because of blood sugar levels) and I feel like I need a nap! Everyone is different and has their own opinions. I am definitely glad I tried it and I can't wait to get my next order!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok it does tell you how much there is of everything. Usually 200 to 1000mg. And it tells you how many vitamins you get and how much of your daily dose it is.

I somehow doubt your eggs, bacon and toast give you zing, magnesium, vitamins a-b-c-d-k and iron for 140 calories. And I don't think they'll satisfy my sweet tooth. Doesn't mean I never have them either, or that I take shakeology every day (usually 5 days a week).

Just saying. Just google shakeology ingredients, it's on their site. I understand that some people don't like the idea of it, but really, if you're going to put it down, at least try to pretend to know what you're talking about.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    2 dozen eggs -$3
    2 packs of bacon - $6
    2 loafs of bread - $6

And that's awesome however not everyone has the time to make breakfast in the morning. When I worked for Corporate America on the days I worked out I was up at 5, out the door by 5:30. The days I didn't up at 6 out the door by 7. If I didn't think to make myself something to eat before I got to work I went to the cafeteria for breakfast where a hard boiled egg and two pieces of toast was $3 - $4. If I did that every single day I'd be dropping $15-$20 per week just on breakfast. If I decided to add a yogurt and a juice we are up to $6. $30/week on a small breakfast is ridiculous.

OP: I'm not going to knock your shakeology report because if it's working for you and financially it makes more sense then drink your shakes and enjoy them.
  • TrishaCooper423
    TrishaCooper423 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is more than just a quick meal. It has over 70 nutrients that your body needs daily.
    There is no way that you can get this from bacon, eggs, and toast.... I just purchased my first bag two weeks ago. I was also VERY skeptical about the price, because I am a mother of 3 wonderful children.
    With everything that is in it, you would definitely be paying more than 4 dollars per shake a day. There are also a ton of different recipes that you can make from this, including No Bake Cookies and Ice Cream! These definitely are NOT breakfast meals! :)

How many of those ingredients are in efficacious dosages to get those benefits?

All of the ingredients in Shakeology serve a purpose. There are different ingredients that have different results.

Proprietary Super-Protein Blend: The Whey, Sacha Inchi, Chia, Flax, Quinoa, Amaranth, Pea - Help to build lean muscles, improve skin and hair, support mental clarity, and reduce cravings

Proprietary Super Fruit/Anitoxidant Blend: Camu-Camu, Acai, Acerola Cherry, Bilberry, Goji Berry, Grape Seed, Green Tea, Luo Han Gua, Pomegranate, Rose hips - provides antioxidant support and promotes a healthy heart and optimal blood pressure.

Proprietary Super-green/Phytonutrient Blend: Moringa, Chlorella, Spirulina, Spinach, Barley Grass, Kamut Grass, Wheat Grass, Oat Grass - helps alkalize the body and promotes detoxifacation of the liver, kidneys, and blood to restore health and vitality.

Proprietary Adoptogen Blend: Ashwagandha, Astragalus, Cordycepts, Ginkgo, Maca, Maitake, Reishi, Shisandra, Tulsi (holy basil) - Helps protect the body from stress, support the immune system, and balance the endocrine system.

Prorprietary Pre-and Probiotic/ Digestive Enzyme Blend: Yacon Root, Lactobacillus, Sporogenes, Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase, Protease, Bromelain, Papain - Helps increase the nutrient absorption, promotes regularity, and improves digestion

Once again the question was not actually answered. You put what they do, not how many of those ingredients are in efficacious dosages to get those benefits? Care to try again? I am curious now

I am sorry, I thought that would explain it. All of the ingredients have the recommended dosages for the product.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    2 dozen eggs -$3
    2 packs of bacon - $6
    2 loafs of bread - $6

And that's awesome however not everyone has the time to make breakfast in the morning. When I worked for Corporate America on the days I worked out I was up at 5, out the door by 5:30. The days I didn't up at 6 out the door by 7. If I didn't think to make myself something to eat before I got to work I went to the cafeteria for breakfast where a hard boiled egg and two pieces of toast was $3 - $4. If I did that every single day I'd be dropping $15-$20 per week just on breakfast. If I decided to add a yogurt and a juice we are up to $6. $30/week on a small breakfast is ridiculous.

OP: I'm not going to knock your shakeology report because if it's working for you and financially it makes more sense then drink your shakes and enjoy them.

I am AT work at 5:30 am. I didn't say I ate eggs and bacon for BREAKFAST.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I don't use Shakeology but I do add Superfoods Greens Powder to my smoothies whenever I make them. It's not the same but they do pack a pretty good punch. When i don't do that then I just throw spinach or kale in. I like the taste of greens... but I'm just weird like that.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Hm, this is one of the problems I have with supplements such as Shaleology in general - a whole lot of sciency-sounding things that nonetheless fall short of making any claims of causation that would expose them to scrutiny from regulators, and in reality is total nonsense. This is classic advertising double-speak.

For example: 'Super-protein' blend! Helps build lean muscles; Sure - like any calorie can 'help' build muscles.

"super-fruit' 'promotes' a healthy heart!! Yeah, like eating fruit does. And breathing. Breathing helps 'promote' a healthy heart too.

"Super-green' 'Alkalizes' the body. This one is pure BS - your body is extremely well buffered to maintain correct pH. In pathological states sometimes the blood and tissue can build up excess acid. But eating some green stuff does absolutely NOTHING to change that. This one is complete bunk. "Alkalising' is another empty buzzword that implies the body needs something it plainly does not. Like saying 'tables! Our products promotes the healthy balance of tables that help you sit down and eat your dinner' . Sure, tables are useful. But ingesting them won't do you any good.

"Adoptogen'. WTH is an adoptogen? It's another made-up term that has absolutely no meaning. If you went to a doctor or scientist and said "I hear I lack sufficient adoptogens' they would be very puzzled. These ingredients appear to be mostly leaves. Leaves are very unlikely to help 'balance' your endocrine system. Indeed, it generally does not need balancing.

"Probiotic blend' Most people have heard of probiotics, so this one seems useful. Except - let's look at what's in there. Amylase.. that's the salivary enzyme that breaks down starch. Most people don't lack that. Lipase and lactase - breaks down fat and lactose, respectively. Here's the problem with this - you are ingesting them. Enzymes are extremely sensitive to temp and pH. How much are they going to do for you after they get digested in your stomach acid? Nothing.

So actually all of this stuff is there for one purpose only - it creates the impression of the product being 'worthwhile' and 'scientifically sound', which justifies a high cost. The nutritive value of all this stuff is probably extremely close to 0.
  • daphnenunn123
    Options
    My daughter told me about shakeology, hmmm, I have to look into it further.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Hm, this is one of the problems I have with supplements such as Shaleology in general - a whole lot of sciency-sounding things that nonetheless fall short of making any claims of causation that would expose them to scrutiny from regulators, and in reality is total nonsense. This is classic advertising double-speak.

For example: 'Super-protein' blend! Helps build lean muscles; Sure - like any calorie can 'help' build muscles.

"super-fruit' 'promotes' a healthy heart!! Yeah, like eating fruit does. And breathing. Breathing helps 'promote' a healthy heart too.

"Super-green' 'Alkalizes' the body. This one is pure BS - your body is extremely well buffered to maintain correct pH. In pathological states sometimes the blood and tissue can build up excess acid. But eating some green stuff does absolutely NOTHING to change that. This one is complete bunk. "Alkalising' is another empty buzzword that implies the body needs something it plainly does not. Like saying 'tables! Our products promotes the healthy balance of tables that help you sit down and eat your dinner' . Sure, tables are useful. But ingesting them won't do you any good.

"Adoptogen'. WTH is an adoptogen? It's another made-up term that has absolutely no meaning. If you went to a doctor or scientist and said "I hear I lack sufficient adoptogens' they would be very puzzled. These ingredients appear to be mostly leaves. Leaves are very unlikely to help 'balance' your endocrine system. Indeed, it generally does not need balancing.

"Probiotic blend' Most people have heard of probiotics, so this one seems useful. Except - let's look at what's in there. Amylase.. that's the salivary enzyme that breaks down starch. Most people don't lack that. Lipase and lactase - breaks down fat and lactose, respectively. Here's the problem with this - you are ingesting them. Enzymes are extremely sensitive to temp and pH. How much are they going to do for you after they get digested in your stomach acid? Nothing.

So actually all of this stuff is there for one purpose only - it creates the impression of the product being 'worthwhile' and 'scientifically sound', which justifies a high cost. The nutritive value of all this stuff is probably extremely close to 0.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the nutrition label then? Again, check your facts first! I'm not saying that some of your points are not valid, but the nutritious value is there.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    2 dozen eggs -$3
    2 packs of bacon - $6
    2 loafs of bread - $6

This is the way to do it! I eat three (whole!) eggs and three pieces of bacon (center cut, pan fried) with a veggie like zucchini AND a cup of fresh mixed berries nearly every day. It keeps me full until lunch, is only about 375 calories and costs about $3/day. I can't imagine going the fast food route - ew!!
  • PTMama0614
    PTMama0614 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have never tried Shakeology but have heard good things about it. My opinion for this topic and forum is for us to encourage each other. What works for one might not work for another. We are all different but in the end I think we all have the same goal in mind, lose weight or maintain our current weight, get healthy and be active. I make my own smoothies at home and they can be time consuming as I add fresh fruits and veggies. I don't do it everyday but do when I want something other than water or my coffee to drink. No matter what you eat or drink, if you are wanting something that's healthy, you will pay for it. We will all invest the time and money in what we want and what works for us. That's the beautiful thing about life. :happy:
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I drank Shakeology for a few months and then lots of coaches started pushing the cleanses (3-days or more of mixing the shake with plain water 3x a day). At that point I started breaking out in hives all over my body every time I had a shake. There was zero way to narrow down what was causing such a severe allergic reaction because of how many ingredients are in the powder, so I had to stop drinking it.