Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    for any skeptics out there
    survey of 100 doctors who recommend shakeology to their patients
    http://youtu.be/8l0wOwPtV48
    watch the video

The video that stipulates some were compensated?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    if you google those ingredients they are actually fruits and vegetables, the exotic kind that you won't fint in every day supermarket

LOL.

Wait. Was this supposed to be in earnest?
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Beachbody does not make any claims that Shakeology counteracts symptoms of MS but there are people on the BB message boards who claim when they started drinking Shakeology, THEIR symptoms were alleviated in different ways. There is a whole link of people with MS who discuss how it has helped THEM.

My friend has suffered from an autoimmune disease. When I met her 3 months ago, she was in pain-all of her joints ached and she was in a lot of pain. She spent most of her time on her couch. She decided to give Shakeology a try with no real expectations other than she needed a healthy shake because her disease causes sores inside of her mouth and food hurt to swallow. She started some treatments, sort of like chemotherapy (I'm not really sure exactly what they are but they are via IV) and they leave her in pain too. SInce drinking the Shakeology, she started walking, then running, she does barre classes, Tai Cheng and is no longer lying on her couch all day. This is NOT to say that Shakeology is a miracle cure, but the ingredients include many superfoods. Its not a gimmick.

Please look up Darin Olien on Facebook. He's the co-creator. Beachbody also has a booklet that explains each ingredient and why its in the shake and what it does for the body. The book has 12 chapters, and this only book 1. Sachi Inchi, Astagalus Root, Papain, Wild Grasses, Goji Berries, Maca Root, Quinoa Seed, Chia, Yacon Powder, Cordyceps and Amaranth.

I won't list them all, but here is an example: Sacha Inchi: contains more immunity-boosting vegetarian omega 3s than any other food on the planet. It contains all of the essential fatty acids. Omega-3s help promote heart & joint health, better memory & mood health while promoting a strong immune system. It is naturally rich in protein & fiber so its a strong appetite controller. It also speeds up your metabolism. Its easy to digest, then full absorbed by your body, so it all goes to work right away. It draws its nutrients from the rich soils of Peru. They are grown on farms & Darin works with the farmers to make sure they are using the best indigenous agricultural methods-without using chemical fertilizers and pesticides.

Sacha Inchi was researched by the University of Life Sciences in Prague in the Czech Republic. They revealed that Sacha Inchi is ideal for young and old alike-improving digestion in children and also helping to provide a wide range of benefits for the elderly.

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition publshed a study showing that individuals who consumed the highest levels of omega 3s, a key component of Sacha Inchi-had the strongest bones.

So, for me, that one ingredient MIGHT be why its helped my friend so much. I know for me, my depression is much less than before and I have been able to decrease my anti-depressants to a minimal amount. My mom is 65 and is finally losing weight, has energy, and feels better than she has in a long time. Shakeology is NOT a weight loss product but for my mom, I believe feeling better mentally & having more energy has, in turn, given her the motivation & desire to walk & eat better.

Is it for everyone? No, not if you don't like shakes. It disappointing because there are so many junk filled shakes that give ALL shakes a bad name & that is just not the case.

I've been drinking it for 3 years, so has my husband & my mom. My kids drink it. I am a coach so I can save 25% and drink it for $89 with free shipping. For me, its worth it. And, I DO still eat "real" food, but this is where I get all of my vitamins. My cholesterol has never been lower & I haven't gotten a pre-diabetic results from my blood work since drinking it (and I used to get it all the time prior to it).
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    wow from reading all those 4 pages of comment, obviously there are mix feelings about it
    1 some people want to bash anything they don't understand
    2 some people are curious and should do some research
    3 some people are just always idiot and want to argue everything even if they forgot how the argument (debate) started

PEOPLE WAKE UP and choose your own way of achieving your fitness goals. doesn't matter if it's shakeology or other meal replacements or supplements as long as the end result is you ARE HEALTHY AND LOOSING WEIGHT what gives everyone else the right to badmouth it and tell you it's wrong

SMH
  • cedman1
    cedman1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm happy for you. Its often hard to find things that will fit into your daily life while still providing whatever values that you need. Good job on being open and trying something for yourself. While I don't use Shakeology I do replace meals with other products as my lifestyle, work schedule and budget all have input on my life and how I handle it.

Thanks for the information as well as their are those whom I could see benefiting from something packaged as such depending on their situation.
  • taso42
    Options
    I am a coach so I can save 25% and drink it for $89 with free shipping.

Still about $30 too high. At around $60 for about a month's worth, they could be competitive. At $89 to whatever the hell full price is, they're limiting their market to suckers with deep pockets.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Beachbody does not make any claims that Shakeology counteracts symptoms of MS but there are people on the BB message boards who claim when they started drinking Shakeology, THEIR symptoms were alleviated in different ways. There is a whole link of people with MS who discuss how it has helped THEM.

My friend has suffered from an autoimmune disease. When I met her 3 months ago, she was in pain-all of her joints ached and she was in a lot of pain. She spent most of her time on her couch. She decided to give Shakeology a try with no real expectations other than she needed a healthy shake because her disease causes sores inside of her mouth and food hurt to swallow. She started some treatments, sort of like chemotherapy (I'm not really sure exactly what they are but they are via IV) and they leave her in pain too. SInce drinking the Shakeology, she started walking, then running, she does barre classes, Tai Cheng and is no longer lying on her couch all day. This is NOT to say that Shakeology is a miracle cure, but the ingredients include many superfoods. Its not a gimmick.

Please look up Darin Olien on Facebook. He's the co-creator. Beachbody also has a booklet that explains each ingredient and why its in the shake and what it does for the body. The book has 12 chapters, and this only book 1. Sachi Inchi, Astagalus Root, Papain, Wild Grasses, Goji Berries, Maca Root, Quinoa Seed, Chia, Yacon Powder, Cordyceps and Amaranth.

I won't list them all, but here is an example: Sacha Inchi: contains more immunity-boosting vegetarian omega 3s than any other food on the planet. It contains all of the essential fatty acids. Omega-3s help promote heart & joint health, better memory & mood health while promoting a strong immune system. It is naturally rich in protein & fiber so its a strong appetite controller. It also speeds up your metabolism. Its easy to digest, then full absorbed by your body, so it all goes to work right away. It draws its nutrients from the rich soils of Peru. They are grown on farms & Darin works with the farmers to make sure they are using the best indigenous agricultural methods-without using chemical fertilizers and pesticides.

Sacha Inchi was researched by the University of Life Sciences in Prague in the Czech Republic. They revealed that Sacha Inchi is ideal for young and old alike-improving digestion in children and also helping to provide a wide range of benefits for the elderly.

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition publshed a study showing that individuals who consumed the highest levels of omega 3s, a key component of Sacha Inchi-had the strongest bones.

So, for me, that one ingredient MIGHT be why its helped my friend so much. I know for me, my depression is much less than before and I have been able to decrease my anti-depressants to a minimal amount. My mom is 65 and is finally losing weight, has energy, and feels better than she has in a long time. Shakeology is NOT a weight loss product but for my mom, I believe feeling better mentally & having more energy has, in turn, given her the motivation & desire to walk & eat better.

Is it for everyone? No, not if you don't like shakes. It disappointing because there are so many junk filled shakes that give ALL shakes a bad name & that is just not the case.

I've been drinking it for 3 years, so has my husband & my mom. My kids drink it. I am a coach so I can save 25% and drink it for $89 with free shipping. For me, its worth it. And, I DO still eat "real" food, but this is where I get all of my vitamins. My cholesterol has never been lower & I haven't gotten a pre-diabetic results from my blood work since drinking it (and I used to get it all the time prior to it).

2 questions. How much Sacha Inchi does shakeology contain? And how well does the human body convert ALA ( the n:3 in Sacha Inchi) to EPA/DHA?
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    wow from reading all those 4 pages of comment, obviously there are mix feelings about it
    1 some people want to bash anything they don't understand
    2 some people are curious and should do some research
    3 some people are just always idiot and want to argue everything even if they forgot how the argument (debate) started

PEOPLE WAKE UP and choose your own way of achieving your fitness goals. doesn't matter if it's shakeology or other meal replacements or supplements as long as the end result is you ARE HEALTHY AND LOOSING WEIGHT what gives everyone else to badmouth it and tell you it's wrong

SMH

You forgot one:

4. some people who are very highly educated about human physiology who recognise a snake-oil scheme when they see one, and try to help people understand why this product is a waste of their money. I count a number of them on this thread.
  • ginamc04
    Options
    That, I do not know but you can go on Facebook and message Darin Olien, he'll answer all questions.
  • taso42
    Options
    That, I do not know but you can go on Facebook and message Darin Olien, he'll answer all questions.

We've been through it all before.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/406462-calling-all-beachbody-coaches-re-shakeology
  • ginamc04
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing both sides. I've sat and listened to the creator of this product and researched some of the ingredients but I've never heard an opposition from the scientific side, only those who complain about the price.
  • taso42
    Options
    It's not unlike rejecting Fiji water in favor of tap water based on price and nutritional value.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

If they have remitting/relapsing MS, it is more likely that their symptoms randomly remitted. It has NOTHING to do with Shakeology. People with progressively debilitating diseases will grasp at any convenient straw they see to deny what is inevitable. My concern is that putting these unsubstantiated reviews on a website could prevent people from getting the medication they need that will actually halt or slow down the progression of this disease. Any responsible company would not post any disease curing claims on a website, whether from clients or not.

It is irresponsible and dangerous.
  • DarkDiva2005
    Options
    To the lady who started this thread: Congrats on finding something that fits into your life that you feel comfortable with. If it is helping you reach the goals that you want for YOUR body, then more power to you. It has taken me a VERY long time and many trials to find out what works for me and I am glad that you have found something that works for you.

For those of you who are doing what this site is meant for (which is supporting people in their journey) : Thank you. It shows me that there are still people out there who can still be happy for others.

To those who feel the need to bash her: Please just stop. She is not forcing her opinion on you. She is merely stating what works for her in case someone else is struggling and may find something useful in what she has to say. She is not pitching, she is merely commenting.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing both sides. I've sat and listened to the creator of this product and researched some of the ingredients but I've never heard an opposition from the scientific side, only those who complain about the price.

I like your attitude. You can see why it's important to not only be able to know what is in the shakes, but if it's even in a dose that will make a difference. Someone previously used Vitamin C as an example. If your pills have 5% of your daily value, what good are they?
  • Acg67
    Options

Sorry, that was a rhetorical question, I already know the answers. Not very much and not very well would be the answers

Efficiency of conversion of alpha-linolenic acid to long chain n-3 fatty acids in man. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2002 Mar;5(2):127-32.

Alpha-linolenic acid (18:3n-3) is the major n-3 (omega 3) fatty acid in the human diet. It is derived mainly from terrestrial plant consumption and it has long been thought that its major biochemical role is as the principal precursor for long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, of which eicosapentaenoic (20:5n-3) and docosahexaenoic acid (22:6n-3) are the most prevalent. For infants, n-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids are required for rapid growth of neural tissue in the perinatal period and a nutritional supply is particularly important for development of premature infants. For adults, n-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation is implicated in improving a wide range of clinical pathologies involving cardiac, kidney, and neural tissues. Studies generally agree that whole body conversion of 18:3n-3 to 22:6n-3 is below 5% in humans, and depends on the concentration of n-6 fatty acids and long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in the diet.

Can adults adequately convert alpha-linolenic acid (18:3n-3) to eicosapentaenoic acid (20:5n-3) and docosahexaenoic acid (22:6n-3)? Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1998;68(3):159-73.

A diet including 2-3 portions of fatty fish per week, which corresponds to the intake of 1.25 g EPA (20:5n-3) + DHA (22:6n-3) per day, has been officially recommended on the basis of epidemiological findings showing a beneficial role of these n-3 long-chain PUFA in the prevention of cardiovascular and inflammatory diseases. The parent fatty acid ALA (18:3n-3), found in vegetable oils such as flaxseed or rapeseed oil, is used by the human organism partly as a source of energy, partly as a precursor of the metabolites, but the degree of conversion appears to be unreliable and restricted. More specifically, most studies in humans have shown that whereas a certain, though restricted, conversion of high doses of ALA to EPA occurs, conversion to DHA is severely restricted. The use of ALA labelled with radioisotopes suggested that with a background diet high in saturated fat conversion to long-chain metabolites is approximately 6% for EPA and 3.8% for DHA. With a diet rich in n-6 PUFA, conversion is reduced by 40 to 50%
  • ginamc04
    Options
    Absolutely! I don't think anyone should suggest ANYTHING for someone with an illness of any kind.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Body by Vi is sweetened by Splenda. Shakeolgy does the same thing correct? I almost bought it. I am highly allergic to Aspartame and Splenda it is poison to my respiratory system. I found in my opinion the best Protein shake and it is Jay Robb and he backs it up with a money back guarantee plus the whey comes from free range cattle and everything in the shake is organic. 110 calories and 1 carb.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    To the lady who started this thread: Congrats on finding something that fits into your life that you feel comfortable with. If it is helping you reach the goals that you want for YOUR body, then more power to you. It has taken me a VERY long time and many trials to find out what works for me and I am glad that you have found something that works for you.

For those of you who are doing what this site is meant for (which is supporting people in their journey) : Thank you. It shows me that there are still people out there who can still be happy for others.

To those who feel the need to bash her: Please just stop. She is not forcing her opinion on you. She is merely stating what works for her in case someone else is struggling and may find something useful in what she has to say. She is not pitching, she is merely commenting.

That!
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! i have been interested in trying it for a while now. I wasnt a big believe in "drinking" my meal but every once in a while i actually crave my slim fast mix. I add spinach, chia seeds flaxseeds, ice , skim milk and i love it!