Help I have trouble eating under 2000 cals a day!

Options

Replies

• jimbridgman
    Options
    To the OP. It seems everyone is giving good advice, it just seems that you are not listening to the important parts of what people are saying.

I started out at 296 pounds, I eat anywhere from 1800 - 2300 calories per day depending on what exercise program I am on. I switch between Isanity, P90x, and P90x2, and Insanity asylum1, and have been doing p90x and Insanity for almost 2 years. I am down about 70 pounds now.

The thing is that you CAN eat what you want, you just have to change how to make your meals. I eat 6 times a day and average 350 cals per meal with an after workout meal of about 450-500 (protein shake with a lot of good things in it).

For instance your taco meal that you posted, a great way to improve on it would be to do something like this:

93/7 ground beef, or better yet 99/1 ground turkey
    2 mission low carb tortillas
    1/4 cup fat free cheese shreds, OR 1/4 cup reduced fat 2% chesse shreds (if you can afford the extra fat cals)
    1/4 cup 0% fat greek yogurt instead of sour cream
    some form of veggies chopped up Romaine is nice, fresh chopped tomatoes, salsa, etc.

All of these together should get you less than 350 cals. and still taste great, and fill you up, those low carb tortillas have a ton of fiber.

I also eat pizza, and I use a flat out for a crust (they make great pizza crusts), 1/2 cup fat free cheese, turkey pepperoni or turkey sausage (one serving of either is less than 100 cals.), a nice pizza sauce, some veggies like mushrooms or olives, etc., and some reduced fat parmesan cheese to top.
    Add a small salad on the side with the dressing on the side and use the fork tines method, where you dip the fork in the dressing then spear the salad with it for each bite.
    The pizza and salad listed above is way less than 500 cals for the WHOLE thing, and it is so filling for hours

Eat snacks that are healthy and nutrient dense. I LOVE the quest protein bars, and a glass of vanilla unsweetened almond milk with a tablespoon of the sugar free hersheys chocolate syrup. All of that is like 200-250 cals, and you wil stay full for a long time.

Dinners, eat healthy proteins like grilled chicken (no skin), and some nice veggies like a steam in the bag mixed veggie, make that a double portion if you so like. Use things like I can't believe it's not butter spray. If you have not eaten too many carbs for the day, have a half of sweet potato with some of that spray butter.

Protein shakes are great to help you lose weight as well, they keep you full and give you energy too. Just choose ones that are not loaded with sugar and carbs. The one I use has like 7g carbs with only 2g of sugar, and tastes like a chocolate milk shake.

It really is how you start to look at things, and you DO need to start making the calculations and trying things out to see what does and does not work best for you. You may also see a doctor, I was told a couple years ago I gained my weight because they found that I had hashimoto's, so it is much harder for me to lose, but it is totally possible to do it, and I have done it without any medication, but that is because mine is not to the point where it needs that. So you might just have a a doctor check you out to see if there is something slowing or hindering your efforts as well.
    The key is eating what you like, but doing it in healthy way. I do not deny myself anything. I make brownies, but I use almond flour instead and the sames goes for cookies. I am always below the cal intake for the day, and I am so full that I do not want to eat more. It also takes at least 3-4 weeks to see if a change has worked, when I up or lower my cals because of a change of exercise program, or because I am taking a week off between them, It takes a few weeks to see the changes either in a gain or loss, and the inches gained or lost in parts of the body.
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    2 soft tacos and a baked potato... for breakfast?
    i might manage 2 soft tacos OR a baked potato for dinner.
    this isn't an especially constructive post, i know.
    but maybe you need to adjust your definition of 'normal'?

ALL POST ARE WELCOME!

Lmao @ two tacos OR a baked potato i couldnt possibly manage both and either would be far too large for breakfast maybe for dinner...

lmaooooooooo sorry it made me LOL especially when most people have eggs, "toast, pancakes or waffles" a slice or two of bacon or sausage maybe both and lets not forget the condiments butter and syrup etc... breakfast is a big and fatty meal for a lot of people.... thats not an abnormal meal if you google breakfast you will likely get the above... so one baked potato for dinner is a large meal for you?

You say all posts are welcome yet you mock them.....most people who eat 900 calories for breakfast are fat.

Funny about this - the OP has not responded to one single constructive post, but has only responded to scoff at people.
    maybe the OP just isn't ready to change and lose the weight yet.
    it takes a big shift of attitude. like a drunk admitting the addiction.
    Lmaooo because i was actually taking notice of the poeple who made sense and were giving sound advice.. the other ones i should have let ignorance be bliss instead of trying to bring it to the light...

There is a lot of sound advice in this thread, and it is truly appreciated.

i you actually want to lose weight you should change your attitude and stop being a such a smart *kitten* to the people who answered a question that YOU ASKED THEM.
    900 cal is ok for breakfast if you can fit it in your cals and micros, ut obviously you CANT. so sit down, swallow your pride and try and learn something from the people who already lost he weight that you are trying to lose
  • Naomi0222
    Naomi0222 Posts: 84
    Options
    If you can, you should consult with a registered dietitian, they can tell you exactly what the problem is, then maybe you would value their advice more than the other people on here who are only trying to help- since you asked for it!
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Using short paragraphs to develop a single idea would help. Lose the ellipses (. . .); periods are perfectly adequate to complete a thought. Capitalization is also good. A lot of very smart people have worked out these writing conventions over centuries, to the benefit of humankind.

This is beautiful, but I love my ellipses...
    Well, in the right hands . . .
  • Naomi0222
    Naomi0222 Posts: 84
    Options
    2 soft tacos and a baked potato... for breakfast?
    i might manage 2 soft tacos OR a baked potato for dinner.
    this isn't an especially constructive post, i know.
    but maybe you need to adjust your definition of 'normal'?

ALL POST ARE WELCOME!

Lmao @ two tacos OR a baked potato i couldnt possibly manage both and either would be far too large for breakfast maybe for dinner...

lmaooooooooo sorry it made me LOL especially when most people have eggs, "toast, pancakes or waffles" a slice or two of bacon or sausage maybe both and lets not forget the condiments butter and syrup etc... breakfast is a big and fatty meal for a lot of people.... thats not an abnormal meal if you google breakfast you will likely get the above... so one baked potato for dinner is a large meal for you?

You say all posts are welcome yet you mock them.....most people who eat 900 calories for breakfast are fat.

Funny about this - the OP has not responded to one single constructive post, but has only responded to scoff at people.
    maybe the OP just isn't ready to change and lose the weight yet.
    it takes a big shift of attitude. like a drunk admitting the addiction.
    Lmaooo because i was actually taking notice of the poeple who made sense and were giving sound advice.. the other ones i should have let ignorance be bliss instead of trying to bring it to the light...

There is a lot of sound advice in this thread, and it is truly appreciated.

i you actually want to lose weight you should change your attitude and stop being a such a smart *kitten* to the people who answered a question that YOU ASKED THEM.
    900 cal is ok for breakfast if you can fit it in your cals and micros, ut obviously you CANT. so sit down, swallow your pride and try and learn something from the people who already lost he weight that you are trying to lose
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • heyyoudontgiveup
    heyyoudontgiveup Posts: 64 Member
    Options

The point of the post wasnt for you to harp on the 900 cals for breakfast it was posted for a reason, which you seem to fail to realize... it's to understand that it is hard for one to eat "normally" and eat under 2000 cals... 2 soft tacos with or without the potato seems like a normal meal to me.... the tacos would have been over 700 even without the potato.... thats a lot of cals for not a lot of food. Its normal to eat two tacos with ground beef, taco shells and cheese... mine where the edited version. I in fact wanted tacos again but had a hamburger instead because tacos are far too calorie dense. My question is, is there anyone who eats like an average American/person goes to the grocery store gets food, prepares meal, and eats and is at 2000 cals and is losing... apparently thats not you, so you can go on your way now... i know 900 cals is a lot for breakfast which is why i posted it, but it is normal and this thread is for people who eat normal food in this case from the grocery store and prepare it, i cant help the calories...which is the point of the post, apparently you missed that. You seem to think its about giving me your opinion on what is a lot and what isnt a lot and who is fat and who isnt fat and is that your current picture because if people who are fat eat 900 cals... then.. *no comment*:indifferent:

:flowerforyou: its late and im on tom there is a lot of good post in here minus they few:indifferent: Sorry for all the cranky post..please everyone, who actually lost eating 2000 cals and eats normally give your advice, story, and so on...

none of this is normal. you think it is normal because you are overweight and eat too much. THE AVERAGE AMERICAN IS OVERWEIGHT. that's funny part about this. you don't want to eat like the average american. you want to eat like a HEALTHY person and eating cupcakes and chips for breakfast is not that.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes are good for you there is nothing wrong with eating one with your meal, But then maybe make your wraps with lettuce leaves instead of taco shells. I do it all the time and its really good.
    Also all those people that eat junk food all day long might look healthy , but if you could see inside there body it might be a different story.
    Good luck !!
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    For me, healthy swapping has been the key to still feeling "normal" without being overwhelmed. For a week, I wrote down what I ate each day, all the nutrients included. At the end of the week, I looked at what nutrients I wasn't getting enough of (iron, potassium), and what areas I was going over (sugar, carbs, sodium). I looked at the foods I was eating most often/daily (peanut butter, sweetened vanilla almond milk, slice of bread). These items were my starting point. I switched to a lower sugar/salt peanut butter, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a whole grain/seed bread. The second week, I ate mostly the same as I had the week before, with my 3 modifications, then took a look at the end of the week. I was closer to where I needed to be. The third week, I replaced my canned chicken with baked boneless/skinless chicken breasts and replaced my sweeteners with blackstrap molasses. Week 4, I increased my protein level and decreased my carbs. Week 5, I focused on increasing my daily water intake and found some green tea that I like. My goal this week (week 6) is adding more veggies to my day.

-Be honest with yourself and log everything.
    -Put in the nutrients. We eat for nutrition, not just calories. You need to be sure you're getting the nutrition you need.
    -Use your diary to find your trouble areas and adjust them as needed.
    -Set a small, manageable goal each week.
    -Keep moving forward.

You CAN do this.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy tacos all the time. I just use fat free sour cream, a lot of salsa, low fat beef or chicken, and low fat cheese, and I only have 2 (and not 5).
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    btw I ate 775 calories for breakfast this morning. I'm 5'0, 122 pounds.

I guess I should edit and say that I usually consume 1500-1700 calories a day, and that my breakfasts are always the biggest meals of the day. Just to prove I'm not one of the "average obese americans that eats too much every day"
  • RobynBrockerville
    Options
    Try to eat more protein and fiber. They are the more "hunger reducing" foods. Eating a protein filled snack half hour before a meal can go along way to making you feel more full faster during the meal. Also, It's so individual, don't get discouraged! Heavier people produce more hormones to make you feel hungrier, sadly your body works against you. There definitely is a lot in the way of mind over matter work when you are trying to cut back on food intake. Get in touch with some people with similar goals and support each other!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

The point of the post wasnt for you to harp on the 900 cals for breakfast it was posted for a reason, which you seem to fail to realize... it's to understand that it is hard for one to eat "normally" and eat under 2000 cals... 2 soft tacos with or without the potato seems like a normal meal to me.... the tacos would have been over 700 even without the potato.... thats a lot of cals for not a lot of food. Its normal to eat two tacos with ground beef, taco shells and cheese... mine where the edited version. I in fact wanted tacos again but had a hamburger instead because tacos are far too calorie dense. My question is, is there anyone who eats like an average American/person goes to the grocery store gets food, prepares meal, and eats and is at 2000 cals and is losing... apparently thats not you, so you can go on your way now... i know 900 cals is a lot for breakfast which is why i posted it, but it is normal and this thread is for people who eat normal food in this case from the grocery store and prepare it, i cant help the calories...which is the point of the post, apparently you missed that. You seem to think its about giving me your opinion on what is a lot and what isnt a lot and who is fat and who isnt fat and is that your current picture because if people who are fat eat 900 cals... then.. *no comment*:indifferent:

:flowerforyou: its late and im on tom there is a lot of good post in here minus they few:indifferent: Sorry for all the cranky post..please everyone, who actually lost eating 2000 cals and eats normally give your advice, story, and so on...

none of this is normal. you think it is normal because you are overweight and eat too much. THE AVERAGE AMERICAN IS OVERWEIGHT. that's funny part about this. you don't want to eat like the average american. you want to eat like a HEALTHY person and eating cupcakes and chips for breakfast is not that.

If you want to lose weight and keep eating 2000+ calories there is one answer

EXERCISE

end of thread. If you refuse to eat less food/healthier food, then you simply have to work it off!!
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Okay, so basically I need SOME ADVICE from people who have had trouble eating under 2000 cals a day...

Fair disclosure: I'm only 5foot 1inch tall. I work a desk job. My target is 1200 cals per day. I only eat back my excercise calories if I'm really hungry. I don't beat myself up if my calories go over 1200, but I try very hard to keep them under 1500 max.
    I know all the simplistic answers make healthy choices, pack your lunch, stay away from junk etc... but i work long hours on my feet all day and at work i grab the nearest thing around,

So what's I'm hearing is that you are not making healthy choices. You do not pack your lunch. And you do not stay away from junk food.

I hear that you work long hours and that you probably grab fast food or vending machine snacks on a fairly regular basis.
    ive been good these last couple of days about not eating a crazy amount of cals but still i ate way over 1500 and felt like was darn starving myself.. how do you do it?

Honestly, I do it by making healthy eating choices. I pack my lunch. I plan my meals ahead of time. I even pre-log them on MFP so that I know if I have room for an unexpected snack in my day (like when a co-worker might bring in cupcakes or something). I never carry cash, therefore I can never use the vending machines. I have dinner pre-planned as well, so it's rare for me to get fast food for dinner.
    Seriously my stomach grumbles and im having hunger pains..
    When my stomach growls/is hungry, I refill my water glass. If after a glass of water I'm still hungry, then I eat my meal or a snack.

FYI: Water is my go-to beverage. We do not keep soda in the house. Not even the diet stuff. I might have a soda or a sweet iced tea when we have a dinner out at a restaurant or if we have company visiting, but even then I have water most of the time. I sometimes order both a coke (regular) and a water. I'll drink my soda/tea first but then insist on no refills for that glass. I'll have water with the rest of my meal.

I do drink milk, soy milk, almond milk, and the occasion juice at home, but I try to limit it to one of the above per day. For juice, I just a small glass (8oz) instead of pint glass.

I rarely drink alcohol. I have nothing against it morally, but it makes my face turn red and I feel hotter than normal. I have maybe 1 beer every other week socially--at most. For dinner out or for holidays or when traveling, I may have a glass of wine or a local beverage, but, again, usually just 1 glass.
    i dont see how people sustain themselves off salad and a few chunks of chicken breast
    I put all sorts of low cal things on my salads. Tomatoes, onions, peppers, dried fruit, cucumbers, even chili, .... Salads are tasty and healthy if you build them right.

As for chicken, I probably eat a chicken dish one or two dinners a week. The rest are shrimp, white fish, oysters, salmon, steak... Lots of variety. Some of my meals are meatless (often with egg plant or lots of mushrooms) but I'm not a vegetarian. I do love veggies though. I would get bored if all I ate were chicken. Plus, I really love seafood. Heck I even eat lamb sometimes when it's on sale.
    or fruit and water..
    Like I said, I like water. That's no hardship for me. I think it's perfectly normal to like water.

As for fruit, I love fruit. Fruit helps keep me full--especially things like watermelon or apples or asian pears. Plus they are yummy. I don't feel it is a hardship to have fruit as dessert if my calorie budget is tight.
    i feel like i ate nothing.. plus who wants to eat two hard boiled eggs for a meal wtf.. you know how it(2 boiled eggs) is on the menu in every restaurant:huh: :indifferent: ... i want to eat like normal.
    I have hard boiled eggs sometimes as part of a meal. For example, I might have 2 hard boiled eggs and a pile of sliced veggies with some hummus to dip them in as lunch. For a snack, I might later have a slice of toast with nuttella. I feel like I'm eating plenty!

If I were going out for breakfast, I would see nothing amiss with ordering 2 poached eggs and a side of tomatoes. Or a scrambled egg, mixed fruit and some grits or hash browns, or a two egg omelet with spinach, mushrooms, onions and hot sauce...

To be honest, my go-to choice at Waffle house is the cheesy eggs. Those things are tasty. But I have to be good the rest of the day if I have that (because I also get the toast with apple butter and so forth). That's not a regular meal for me as a result.

Nothing wrong with ordering eggs at a restaurant. They come hard boiled on all sorts of salads too.
    like for breakfast i had 2 homemade soft tacos and a baked potato and it came out to @ 900 cals for two small tacos and a baked potato...

To each their own, but that sounds like a lot for breakfast to me. I tend to eat a light breakfast but then snack around 10am.

I agree with the other posters, in that I would never have both tacos and potatoes for one meal. That's too much for me.

What do you put in your tacos? Mine are plenty filling. I use the small tortillas (not the ones the size of your plate, but rather the ones about the size of my small hands), but load up on onions, peppers, mushrooms, then some healthy-ish cooked sausage or steak strips, a bunch of spices, maybe some slaw or lettuce, some hot sauce, maybe a spoonful of fat free sour cream or a bit of avocado. I often don't use cheese, but I have some out for hubby's tacos. When I make tacos they are actually pretty low calorie for as filling as they are. Sometimes I take just the filling to work and leave out the tortillas. It's less calories and the tortilla is really not the best part anyway.

When I have a baked potato, that is my main dish. Top it with cooked veggies or chilli and that's all I need. Maybe a bit of cheese. Definitely some salt and pepper.
    for lunch a homemade hamburger and fries almost 600 cals.. and it not like im using fatty meat... 90% lean ground beef is 200 for a quarter pound, bread is 100 cals, cheese 100, condiments about 50, potato and ketchup @ 150 cals...

That's a lot of potato in one day. I have potatos maybe twice a week. This past weekend was the first time I'd had fries (McDonalds) in about a month. I had a small order with my lunch. They were delicious. I have no guilt over that.

600cals is about what my dinners run. So that's not a shocking number to me. I think this is reasonable for a lunch since your goal is 2000. For me, that would be a bit high, but my calorie goal is different from yours.
    you get my point... is anyone eating like a normal person and losing?
    Well, I consider my eating to be completely normal and I'm losing. Granted I'm not eating as badly as I probably used to, but I don't think there is anything weird or strange about the way I eat. I think I'm using common sense and that's normal to me.

I have noticed that a lot of people eat out for most of their meals. Whereas I bring my lunch from home (completely normal on my team, not uncommon for other parts of the company), we also cook at home for about 5-7 dinners each week. It used to be normal for families and couples to cook and have dinner at home. More Americans eat out now, but that doesn't make cooking any less normal.

FYI, when we do eat out, I almost always only eat half my dinner. The portions are huge at most places. I doggy-bag the rest and take it to lunch during the week. I consider this normal.
    I mean at work im gonna grab something convenient if i missed breakfast and am starving and the only thing in my vending machines are junk! chips and cupcakes etc... im not going to be hungry...

Ok, so what this sounds like to me is that you want things too be easy and convientent.

You'll have to make it that way. You'll never likely to get a well balanced, healthy meal from a last minute vending machine run. It seems you expect the vending machine food to work for you. That's not normal expectations to me.

(Have you read what pop tarts nutritional counts are? Who the heck eats just 1 pop tart from the set of two?! Seriously, that's the only "breakfast" food in the vending machines here and I'd be better off having a bowl of frozen yogurt for breakfast than that!

Make it easy for yourself to succeed. Plan ahead so that you have convenient healthy alternative available to you. If you miss breakfast regularly, then try to keep a healthy breakfast alternative at your work or in your car and have that instead of raiding the chips and cupcakes. If you don't plan ahead, you'll be tempted to take the lazy way out--and it sounds like that hasn't been working too well for you.
    this seems way more difficult than it should be.. Eat Less Cals, Exercise = Lose Weight.. but Doesnt seem like it works like that for me.. seems like im going to have to be in pain and starve and eat carrots and grass...
    I agree with the other posters in that your expectations of "normal" may be a bit out of whack. I eat carrot and grass (wild rice is technically a grass) and I'm not in pain and I'm not starving.

It's not always easy to change, but it's not that difficult either.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

I guess I should edit and say that I usually consume 1500-1700 calories a day, and that my breakfasts are always the biggest meals of the day. Just to prove I'm not one of the "average obese americans that eats too much every day"

The big difference though, is that minus your puff pastry (sorry I lurked, your diary is open, lol) you are eating a healthy balance of food. You are getting nutrients. And on top of that, you accomodate the rest of your day to fit within your calories. I don't think OP is getting that part of it yet.....
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Carry Fiber-One bars or Protein bars instead of getting vending machine food. Cut out the rolls on the burgers, have salad instead of french fries (or try one serving of fries). I have been know to count out the number of cheese doodles I can have for a serving so that I put the bag away and walk away. I am generally satisfied by eating the serving and the craving is gone. Don't drink your calories either. Cut out Lattes, Cappucinos, Alcohol, Soda, and drink water or sugar-free stuff.
    There are ways to cut back. You just have to be willing to think ahead a little. If you really want it, you will figure out a way.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options

The big difference though, is that minus your puff pastry (sorry I lurked, your diary is open, lol) you are eating a healthy balance of food. You are getting nutrients. And on top of that, you accomodate the rest of your day to fit within your calories. I don't think OP is getting that part of it yet.....

Lol that's what my diary is open for! Lurking! That pastry really got me this morning... first one I've had in a month! But I do agree with you. There's a huge difference between what I had for breakfast and what the OP had for breakfast, even if the calories aren't that far apart. I just wanted to make a point that you can still have a lot of calories at one meal and it doesn't mean you are automatically overeating or a "typical obese American"
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Lol that's what my diary is open for! Lurking! That pastry really got me this morning... first one I've had in a month! But I do agree with you. There's a huge difference between what I had for breakfast and what the OP had for breakfast, even if the calories aren't that far apart. I just wanted to make a point that you can still have a lot of calories at one meal and it doesn't mean you are automatically overeating or a "typical obese American"

Absolutely agree :) I know night time is my nemesis, so I instead of breakfast being my big one, I generally keep for the evening. (if you lurk me, lol, be aware, I have sucked for logging this week :( - well sucked in general this week, lol - pre bday excitement got the best of me :P )
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you've been struggling, believe me, I go through the same thing. Granted, I don't have a job where I'm able to be on my feet (I know it sounds crazy, but consider yourself lucky), I sit at a desk all day long, surrounded by people who are constantly bringing in sweet treats (seriously, I had to give up sweets for Lent to save myself from them) and snacking all day long.
    I do my best, but I havent been losing lately, and it comes down to one thing. Will Power.

My guess is that you are hitting the same issues...you can know all the rules, and want to change for all the right reasons, but when push comes to shove, and you are still eating the way you used to, nothing is going to change. You have to want it for you. Forget what other people get to eat...work on you, and what works for your body...if the person next to you is scarfing McDonalds, and you find yourself jealous because they're not fat...you should remind yourself that they'll be ****ting all of that out in about 45 minutes anyway, so who cares.

If you want to fix it, don't come whining and asking for a quick fix, you will never find it, and these people will never give it to you. Bottom line...stop eating junk, and stay under your calorie goal...if you want to reach your goal, that's it, end of discussion.

Good Luck.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

5'7, 128lbs and usually eat over 2000 calories a day.