Help I have trouble eating under 2000 cals a day!

Options

Replies

• ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion that OP is trolling all of you.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I keep 100 calorie snacks, fruit cups, yogurt...I try to just do single serving snacks. Me counting out crackers form a big box is ridiculous. I cook an entire bag of frozen or fresh chicken breast. However, I cut it up in cubes, spice it up and cook with a little olive oil. I just keep this in the frig for quick meals with pasta or wraps. I drink herbal teas. I haven't changed my eating style much, I do more portion control if anything. I drink a lot water during the day. But having 900 cal for breakfast is a lot of calories, especially if you're not doing anything to burn those off. I try to have 300-400 cal for breakfast, snack at 10, lunch at noon, snack at 3 then dinner by 7 and then sometimes a snack before bedtime. I amped up m work out to 45 minutes in the morning and then another 30-45 minutes in the evening, so I'm burning close to 1,400 when I do this.

You truly need to just "see" what you are eating and bring in your own snacks. You can get full off of chicken salad, especially if you add veges to it. I keep sauteed onions, peppers, garlic in my fridge too. Plus I add red pepper flakes for an extra zing. It did take me a few months to get on board with my calories and sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't but I don't beat myself up about. I just start fresh the next day. But if you want to truly keep 2000 a day, you have to work hard at it. Try to plan your meals for a few weeks and before doing so, look to see how many calories are in the food you want to prepare. Or make a lot of it but then portion control it in containers, that way you just have to take a container instead. Once you get the hang of it, it will get better and better. Try not to look at this as a diet but getting to a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes just adding rice and more vegetables to your meal does wonders.
  • Stacemace83
    Stacemace83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    AGREED
  • carlyb503
    carlyb503 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just substitute things out- if you love burgers, get a turkey burger and have it on a wheat bun. that's 300 less calories. If you're eating tacos, put the meat on a lettuce wrap instead of flour tortilla- flour is not good to eat when you're trying to cut weight. Drink lots of water, and eat lots of raw veggies. You can do it!!
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your definition of "normal" needs to change. 900 calories for one meal would be normal for, maybe, a linebacker. Or an unhealthy person. I think I eat like a "normal" person. I don't restrict anything, if I want it, I have it. And I am usually right where I need to be for calories. If I am going to eat more I exercise and "earn" some more calories. Check out my diary, it is open.
    Are you serious? A line backer eats 2 soft tacos and a baked potato.. LMAOOOOOooo um okay.. im not sure what kind of linebacker you're accustom to, but definitely not a normal one!

For one, she's correct.

Two, why are you giving attitude to people clearly trying to help you?

When I first started here a year and a half ago, I was eating 1200 calories and did just fine. I eat 1800 calories a day at maintenance now, but only because I strength train and do HiiT cardio on a daily basis AND I'm only focusing on fat loss and loss of inches at the moment.

Unless you're an intensive sports athlete, as a woman, you don't need 900 calories for one meal.

I agree, your attitude needs some serious work especially if you actually want to lose weight. Your sarcasm/bad attitude and unwillingness to change anything because you don't want to be "uncomfortable" will keep you from accomplishing anything if you ask me. Sometime we have to do things we don't want too and you just have to suck it up.

Personally, I have never eaten 900 for breakfast and I am always full. Also, eating a tacos and a potato for breakfast & a burger and fries for lunch is the "normal" diet of someone who is overweight, not "normal" for someone who is a healthy weight. Of course some of your co-workers may eat like crap in front of you and may be skinnier, but I can guarantee you that the meal your seeing is the only one they eat like that for the day OR they are working out every day.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of really GREAT suggestions here... I'm taking some of them on myself!

So here is my 2cents and what has helped me....

I used to not eat enough, I am a single mom with 3 children and just got to the point of not eating unless reminded, it made me start to gain even more weight. So then trying to get to 1200 calories was really painful because I do love salad and fruits and veggies, which all have calories, just not a lot. As I started eating regularly again I found that I was getting really hungry really fast... so I added some high protein items in for my snacks and that made a HUGE difference in my hunger pangs. My typical day is like this:

Breakfast Fruit & Greek yogurt smoothie - usually Dannon Light & Fit Vanilla greek yogurt, 1 cup of strawberries & 1 cup of raspberries, 1/4c of Mott's for Tots reduced sugar apple juice (125 calories). Special k Mixed berry crisps.

Mid morning snack - a spiced mixed nut recipe that I found (the trick with nuts is to buy baking nuts because they do not have additional salt and oil). I use Pecans, walnuts, cashews and pistashio's. For a half a cup (a palm full) it is 215 calories.

Lunch - Either a Smart One lunch (I try to stay with the ones that are under 300 calories), or I will have leftovers from the night before (typically 2 oz of a lean meat, a portion of always fresh made potato (bagged/boxed items have more sodium and filler items in them) and 2 helpings of a green veggie), and always a cup of fresh fruit (granny smith apple or strawberries).

Afternoon snack - limit it to around 200 calories - to help with my sweet tooth I will do a weight watchers snack cake or a 100 cal snack pack of the keebler fudge strip cookies and a helping of fruit (I'm a berry-a-holic) typically raspberries or strawberries.

Dinner - a lean meat, minimum of 2 veggies (asparagus oven roasted with half a tbs of olive oil and garlic, fresh baby spinach mixed in with a whole wheat pasta, broccoli, grape tomatoes, green beans, etc) and then either the wheat pasta or a fresh potato something. If I do not do a potato something or a pasta then I will do the 100 calorie sandwich round with the parkay spray and garlic.

If I am hungry before 8p.m. then I will either do another helping of fruit or the mixed nuts (that depends on how I have done calories wise during the day), or if I have been extra good I will reward myself with a low calorie ice cream bar or something along those lines.

Just before every MEAL (not snack) I will drink at least 8 oz of water or diet green tea. This really helps with portion control and also slows me down while eating so that as I'm eating I will find that I am not hungry enough to eat all that I served myself. I love those nights :)

My average calorie intake now is 1300-1400, and I am losing 1.5-2.5 pounds per week. I have really found that the water and snacks are a must, and the snacks really should be something that is substantial, meaning high in fiber or protein or both! The quick and easy grab stuff just makes me want to snack even more!

Don't get me wrong, I fall off the wagon just like everyone else, but I get back on and it really makes a difference in how I feel.

I hope something here helps, Have a great day! :happy:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

^^yes
  • Abo1995
    Abo1995 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I eat like a normal person. I don't really eat diet food like weight watchers or special K or anything like that.
    What I would suggest is maybe adding more complex carbohydrates to your meals like brown rice, brown pasta, brown bread- that sort of thing keeps you full for longer.
    It's just about getting into it, I eat 1700 calories a day and at first it was so hard to try and stick to it but as it goes along you get used to it and you start seeing results which I love
  • jcfromtb
    jcfromtb Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I was literally just about to post this... either trolling or the OP is complete satire.
  • askeates
    Options
    ok, silly question... who/what is OP? I normally only post on certain groups, but will troll other threads... this is not the first time I have seen reference to OP...
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    ok, silly question... who/what is OP? I normally only post on certain groups, but will troll other threads... this is not the first time I have seen reference to OP...

OP: Original Poster (so the person who started the thread)

Troll: Someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (which I haven't noticed you doing. Lurking maybe, but not trolling :smile: )
  • luminajd
    luminajd Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Agreed. But at least there have been 100+ posters who have put out really great ideas for the rest of us :smile:
  • askeates
    Options

OP: Original Poster (so the person who started the thread)

Troll: Someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (which I haven't noticed you doing. Lurking maybe, but not trolling :smile: )

Thank you for the clarification :)

Ok, so I'm a lurker :tongue: I like the sounds of that better ~lol~
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your definition of "normal" needs to change. 900 calories for one meal would be normal for, maybe, a linebacker. Or an unhealthy person. I think I eat like a "normal" person. I don't restrict anything, if I want it, I have it. And I am usually right where I need to be for calories. If I am going to eat more I exercise and "earn" some more calories. Check out my diary, it is open.

I routinely eat 750 - 850 calories for dinner.

OP: It isn't about just one meal - it is about making better choices all day every day, the ability to forgive yourself when you go over, the patience to stick to it, learn from your mistakes, and pick and choose the advice you will follow.

Try small changes at first - if you are continually hungry, try to up your fat, proteins and fiber. that should help you stay satisfied longer. Also, I eat every 2.5 hours or so so I never feel hungry. These things work for me, and maybe they will for you as well. Best of luck to you!!
  • fae14
    fae14 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The only advice I can give is to log each part of your meals separately to see what's a lot of cals and what isn't. Learn what a lot of cals is. 100 cals for a tortilla is a lot. Label your foods, don't quick add.

It takes effort. It's not a magic formula. If you can't bring your cals down, then you need to work out more.

You wanted advice from people who have been there, but you're not listening. You're not special. Your body functions just like everyone else. If you've eaten your calorie allowance and are still hungry, drink some water and move on. This is MIND over MATTER. Your body is matter.

If you can't do this, then you don't want it bad enough.
  • JuliaWomp
    JuliaWomp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    One way to stay full is to eat fat at meals. Each meal NEEDS to have fat, protein, and fiber. That's one reason why a steak keeps you fuller than the same amount of calories in a hamburger or a boneless skinless tasteless chicken breast. Also, your body expects to get fat from things like meat and dairy, because humans evolved with only full-fat products. If you eat something that is artificially low or no fat, your body sets itself up to digest full fat, then you feel hungry when your body doesn't get what it expects (there are similar problems with no calorie sweeteners).

Soup is also awesome, it fills you up more than food and water separately.

Also, avoid any processed food- it's designed to make you want more! Sugars (even from too much fruit), white flour is the same way. It raises your blood sugar and than causes it to drop quickly, making you super hungry about 30 mins after eating.

For some people, snacking also increases hunger. Have you ever been not very hungry, then become ravenous as soon as you took a bite of something? That's because your body suppresses hunger signals after an hour or so (so that people weren't bothered by those signals while they were trying to hunt and such). Then, when you eat that first bite, your hunger signals flare up to tell you to keep eating and your stomach prepares to digest a meal. When you don't eat a full meal, your body is left with disappointed expectations and you get hungry again as soon as the tiny snack you ate is digested.

When you DO eat (during meals), try to do so rather slowly, and pay attention to the taste. This allows your body to know what you are eating and when you have had enough. Once your nutritional needs are met, you will notice that the taste changes slightly (you'll only notice if you're paying attention). The second that your meal doesn't taste as awesome as it did before, you know that your body is sending a signal that it has all it needs and that you should stop eating. If you never get full, eat more variety.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options

I was literally just about to post this... either trolling or the OP is complete satire.

Whatever is happening, it's hilarious.
    I'm going to go boil 2 eggs for lunch.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's been said already, but when I looked through your diary and scrolled back through all the 'quck add' calories, I found you eating things like chocolate cupcakes, caramel turtles and Hershey's chocolate bars for breakfast. The other meals seemed to be majorly refined carb heavy.

So perhaps you're feeling hungry a lot because you're eating lots of refined carbs and sugars which will send your blood glucose pinging all over the place? If you could substitute the refined carbs/sugars at breakfast with protein and slow-release carbs (bowl of porridge or something) you'd probably feel fuller for longer.

Rather than the hamburgers and fries for lunch, or the subways with absolutely everything on them (I was shocked at how many calories a subway could end up being looking at your diary) why not make something the night before to take into work? Make a frittata in the morning with lots of veggies and some lean meat in it and take it in cold with lots of salad. Take some soup with you if you have a micro at work - soup is a great way to get some good nutrients in and feel full. Marinade chicken breasts, legs or thighs in different spices, bake them and take them cold into work. Make little ham and egg pies (i.e. line a muffin tin with ham, whisk up eggs with herbs, veggies...whatever you fancy, pour into the ham molds and bake) If you cook the night before, just make extra and take it in for lunch.

Basically, you seem to be eating calorie dense food, but not nutrient rich food...and what you're eating is leaving you hungry.
  • FungusTrooper
    FungusTrooper Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    ?????????????????????? i dont understand lmaoooooooooooo
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you are on your feet all day then set your daily calories to 2000. Track it for a few weeks and see how your body reacts. If you don't lose any weight or gain then drop it to 1800 and go from there.

This is your journey. Figure out what works for you not others.