Do you log weight increases too?

Options
Hi all, I weighed myself after a long gap today and the number on the scales was up a few pounds. This could probably well be muscle, fat or water. The scales said I was up a fraction in bodyfat which I expect could also mean water. Should I log this weight or is it really only necessary to log losses? Any thoughts?

Replies

• tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My weigh in days are on Monday's, not matter what the scale says, I log it, keeps me motivated. But that's just me.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    I log whatever the result when I weigh in. Fluctuations are all part of the diet and I journal every detail.
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'd only record it if it stayed for a week since it may be temporary (too much sodium the day before, or monthly cycle). I don't even record loss until I have maintained the same loss for several days.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I log losses and gains. Feels delusional to not keep track of both.
  • stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I log whatever the scale says :)
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I log it only if I know it's my true weight. Weight can fluctuate so much... so logging every time you have water retention or something seems senseless..
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My weigh in days are on Monday's, not matter what the scale says, I log it, keeps me motivated. But that's just me.

This^^ :smile:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I only log gains if they stick for more than 2 weeks. I would have to be eating an insane amount of calories for a legitimate gain.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I will log gains, but only on log in day...but by the same turn, i only log losses on log in days too
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I log it only if I know it's my true weight. Weight can fluctuate so much... so logging every time you have water retention or something seems senseless..

This.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'm also a once a week "recorder." I get on the scale most days, but Saturdays are my actual "weigh-in" days and the weight gets recorded, whether it's up or down. It works for me. It depends on what works for you... For me, this helps me feel like I'm staying accountable to myself.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I log gains and losses. It helps me keep motivated and accountable to the person in the mirror. I weigh everyday and log everyday.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Friday morning. I log whatever weight the scales says.

Personally, I don't see the point in only weighing when the number is lower. It gives false information. Weight loss is not linear and it's good to be able to look back and see the changes. I also like to log the gains because it helps me focus more. It also helps me see what is and isn't working.

If you want to be 110% honest with yourself while trying to become healthier, log everything... food, drinks, and any weight the scale says on your weigh in day.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I log losses and gains. Feels delusional to not keep track of both.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Whatever number pops up Monday am is recorded on mfp-up, down or otherwise.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I log whatever the scale says Friday morning. No cheating myself by pretending I didn't gain when I did!
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I log bi-weekly on Mondays, regardless of gain or loss. I still weigh myself every day out of habit, but it's only those "official" weigh-ins that count. :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Yes. The logging helps keep us accountable and only works if you are completely honest.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    No. All gains are water. They don't count. I only log a loss 'cause that's fat and all that matters :laugh:
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I don't. I feel like I should, but I don't. I just hate it. I'd feel like such a failure. I mean, my ups are generally only 0.2 lbs, and it's gone in a day or two. I know if I went off my diet and ate stuff I shouldn't, then gained, I probably would log it, but as is, I haven't been able to make myself. I even tried a few times and I was too embarrased.