Do you log weight increases too?

Options

Replies

• Calderon46
    Calderon46 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log weight gain after some deliberation with my MFP friends. I have gained 10 lbs since Christmas and didn't weigh myself until yesterday, but I am back on the wagon now and focused. I didn't like to see the weight gain on my weight slider, so it has refocused me to try harder, with the great support of my MFP friends.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes. Because the record is for me not anyone else.
  • Hagginss2
    Hagginss2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I log both
  • panano
    panano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Used to, don't anymore. Any kind of fluctuation disappears in a matter of days, and I just find it to discouraging to log it..
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I log it...but I know it can be painful!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If my weight remains up from my last logged weight for more than about 2 weeks, then I log it to give me more motivation to get it down. If it's up for a few days or a week then usually not because then it's usually due to water retention
  • EAPTX
    EAPTX Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I wasn't logging my weight here unless it went up or down five pounds because I didn't want to fool with it, but might have to change that. I do log in every single day on the wii fit at home and let it record my weight, which is regularly up or down 2 pounds. I have always heard not to weigh every day because of the fluctuations. However, the weekly weighing seems less accurate now that I've been weighing every day. Here's why.

I was getting frustrated because it seemed like I had hit a plateau or had lost a lot more in the beginning than lately. When I looked back on the wii fit chart, I could see that there was a definite diagonal line through all of the fluctuations, and that it was at a consistent angle no matter what period I looked at. It was consistent for the first month, the most recent month, the entire time - all the same rate. I never would have guessed that because I get discouraged that it is taking so long. I averaged it out and it is exactly the goal I set here! I wouldn't have as many data points with weekly or monthly weighings and that would be more misleading.

On a related note, does anyone know if you can view a longer period of time on the mobile app than 3 months? I couldn't find a way to change that default.
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Thursdays. Whatever the scale says, whether it's a loss or gain, is what gets recorded.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I log every Sunday...lose or gain! :)
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I will log gains, but only on log in day...but by the same turn, i only log losses on log in days too

this

The people who actually log weight kill me-mine would be all over the place if i did that!
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I log whatever the scale says :)

This
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I only log gains if they stick for more than 2 weeks. I would have to be eating an insane amount of calories for a legitimate gain.

THIS :happy:
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I log every weigh in. Up or down. Not logging it doesn't mean it didn't happen! I find it easy to think it's no big deal if I don't log it...and it is!! Of course, that's just me! Good luck with your fitness goals!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Why would you think you could pick and choose? The purpose of keeping a record is to provide feedback and reveal trends. You always have to use additional tools to determine if weight is caused by an increase in muscle. The scale alone isn't sufficient.
  • andrewjcarter
    Options
    Record everything. That way you'll better understand how weight loss works and how no-linear it can be.

I am finding it very motivational to see how I stall then whoosh off a big amount of weight as I go along.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My approach is to treat this as an experiment and as data that can be used for analysis so always simply log the facts. Whether it is logging what I eat, what I weigh, or what my measurements are it is very important to log the facts.

As far as logging weight when it goes up this can and will be as important information as when weight goes down. For example, how will you know if you are eating or not working out enough? what happens after you reach your goal and are trying to maintain how will you know if you are maintaining?

I take and log my weight every day (in the morning as I am getting ready for the day). Have been doing this for over 10 months now. One interesting observation is that 40+% of the time my daily weight measurements are higher than the previous day. For example during one month I weighed myself 30 times. Of those 30 times, 13 of those times (43%) the measured weight was higher than the previous day. The largest increase was 1.0lbs. So there were 13 days that I could despair about the lack of progress or about why am I doing this or that I may as well just quit. But wait, there were 16 days (53%) that measured weight was less than the previous day. There was one day that there was no difference in weight. The largest decrease was 1.8lbs. So there were 16 days that I could rejoice. Most importantly, my weight in those 30 days dropped 6.4lbs and that is something to be really happy about.

Sorry to ramble so much, hope that helps.
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I log on mondays and I put down whatever the scale says. If its just water gain, then the scale should really be good the next week. I also write it down on a calender so I can look back at any time. And I can look back at my food log and see if I'm eating wrong or if its just a normal fluctuation. I love the number on the scale but body change is really the most important thing, it doesn't lie. I have to keep it honest if I'm going to maintain this for what I hope is a very long lifetime.
  • Nitabug36
    Nitabug36 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My weigh in days are on Monday's, not matter what the scale says, I log it, keeps me motivated. But that's just me.

Exactly what I was gonna say, down to the weigh in on Monday's.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Yes. I find it useful to keep track of trends.