Do you log weight increases too?

Options

Replies

• ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    yep. you should log everything. even if you have a bad day and go 2k calories over your stated goal, log it so you can look back and remember that you did that.

log everything as far as diet and measurements. don't log everything you do as exercise though.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Do you log weight increases too?

Yes, I do. My graph looks very pretty - mostly downward dips and the odd upward spin. lol. I like to keep it real. Keeps me good ... like weighing daily when I remember to do it.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I will log gains, but only on log in day...but by the same turn, i only log losses on log in days too

This with the exception that I don't usually log gains on TOM week
  • calihoya
    calihoya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I keep track but not on here because I don't like to have the "You lost ____ pounds" show up when it was really from the pound I gained which could be from water weight or whatever. For a while I kept gaining and losing the same 2 pounds over and over again, which I know and keep track of, but I don't want it looking like I keep losing 2 pounds when really I didn't! I also don't log losses unless they are sustained and clearly not a fluctuation. You have to find what works for you.
  • rowerdc
    rowerdc Posts: 36
    Options
    Yes! I may put off the weigh-in, but I'll log it once I get on the scale...
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't. Two reasons why- If I weigh in a pound less than last time, then weigh again the next day same time, I may have gained half a pound or pound back, but then on the third day or fourth day, I will be down even more than I was the first day. Now if I farmed out for a few days or fell off the wagon and gained 5 lbs, I would log that. The other reason is that I am vain and don't want to see the #s go up for such a trivial amount!
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I log everyday (that I'm not out of town) downs and ups. I also keep track of my daily weight on a spreadsheet and graph that.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'd only record it if it stayed for a week since it may be temporary (too much sodium the day before, or monthly cycle). I don't even record loss until I have maintained the same loss for several days.

This.
  • michmich68
    michmich68 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes. And I log every day. I think it helps me to see the correlation between foods eaten/weight loss & gain.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I only log losses unless I did something to merit a gain but most gains are tempary - probably due to water or pms so I don't log them. I must confession. I'm a scale junky. I weigh myself once a day.... I know it's bad but I can't kick it. :frown:
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If it is a scheduled weigh in day, then yes I record it. If it is between weigh ins and I am just weighing because I'm curious then no, I don't log it but I keep it in mind so I can review my log. It helps keep me in check and mindful of my progress.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    No.

If I see weight gain I run and hide.

Then I work my butt off and log it when my weight has gone down hahaha.

:flowerforyou:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I tried that once but since I weigh in every day it quickly drove me crazy so now I only log losses. Anytime my weight stalls for more than a few days yeah, it means I probably gained some back, whether it was water or fat. But if I keep doing what I'm supposed to to do I know eventually I'll drop back down and then I'll drop below whatever the number I have recorded is. If anything it keeps me motivated to not let myself get too far above whatever my lowest recorded number was.

Now when I hit maintenance I'm going to find my maintenance level of calories, monitor that for awhile, then maybe wean myself off the daily weigh ins, in which case I will log gains.
  • fitfortrack1
    Options
    I'd only record it if it stayed for a week since it may be temporary (too much sodium the day before, or monthly cycle). I don't even record loss until I have maintained the same loss for several days.

that's a smart idea, i need to do that
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I always log it! And I like to look back long term at my reports and see how Im doing...there will always be ups and downs in life!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I would if I had any. My weight always stays the same (sometimes for a loooong time) or goes down. I never experienced this until I cut sugar and wheat out of my diet.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I do not log weight gains. My weight fluctuates a lot, and I find that it takes about a month for real losses to show up. So ... I keep an eye on the scale, nearly every day, but only log what I perceive to be reall losses. (And I've been known to climb on and off the scale three or four times to be sure it's a loss!)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

that's a smart idea, i need to do that

I do this with losses too. If the losses stays constant for 4 straight days -> RECORDED. For gains, if it's up for 2-3 days, it'll get recorded and I'll surely be combing through my food et al to verify what altered my results.
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I log whatever the scale reads on my weigh in day. I don't weigh myself the rest of the week at all.

For instance, I was up 3 pounds from my initial MFP weight when I joined a couple months ago but I didn't change it when I came back and committed. Even though I lose a little here and there, my ticker isn't going to say anything until I get past those 3 pounds. It never says +2 pounds or whatever, just 0lbs lost. My page will tell me I lost .5 pounds or something, but it will not show in my ticker unless that .5 pound loss was below the original starting weight.

It keeps me honest, and it's clear if I see a spike in my chart one day and then it goes back down that this was due to water weight or something.
  • Roxiehart9
    Options
    IF you want to chane the weight every day then go ahead. Try to get into a routine of weighing yourself once a week. After a gap, it's completely up to you. If it's a few lbs, I usually don't becuase I know it's water weight and sodium holding everything in due to a poor diet for that gap...once I go back on my clean eating an dexercise, it comes right off. But each person is different;. If it takes you longer to get that weight off, you might want to log it just to keep accurate track.