% carbs / protien / fat / etc per day OR just calories

Options

Replies

• stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    For me the macros matter A LOT. Mostly it's about managing my hunger and cravings - if I eat too many carbs, I am starving. If my macros are balanced, my blood sugar is on an even keel and I can go hours without being hungry.
    I think it depends on the person. I think MFP's recommendations are not ideal though. I eat waaay more protein.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    CICO is not true for everyone. If it were, the content of calories wouldn't make a difference. But for me is does.
    There is plenty of science to back this up.
    Unless I am starving myself with something less than 800 calories a day, I don't lose weight if a third is from carbs.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For those of you using the 40/30/30 ratio, how much fiber are you supposed to get a day? I've been looking for this answer and can't find it. Thanks!

It is recommended 35g of fiber a day for weight loss. No more than 50g though or it can have adverse effects
  • pam4413
    pam4413 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I did a 40/30/30 diet I lost weight. carbs/protein/fat. Need to get back tothose basics. I was never hungry or tired.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    For those of you using the 40/30/30 ratio, how much fiber are you supposed to get a day? I've been looking for this answer and can't find it. Thanks!

I eat at this ratio, and try and eat over 25g fiber (35 would be ideal) I include a lot of flax and chia because they provide lots of fiber without having to add tons of carbs.
    categories FO SHO

aim for 105-130 grams of protein

100g of carbs

and selective on my Fat

tight on Sodium and Dairy

Roger that, Starbuck.
  • lexherrera
    lexherrera Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I set my carb/protein/fat to 45%/30%/25% and I mostly pay attention to calories and protein, I don't mind if I don't hit my carb macro on rest days.
  • AnnMombourquette
    Options
    I tend to stay within my calories but I don't follow the guidelines for carbs/protein, etc. As a diabetic I find too many carbs such as breads, pototos, rice and pasta don't agree with me and I'm hungry on top of that. I eat more than my alloted protein which satisfies me and keeps me full and doesn't play havoc on my sugars. I use it as a guideline and keep within my calories.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 40C/30P/30F and focus on staying within or around my TDEE. I focus on fiber intake more than I ever did before.

In short, I try to focus on all of the above, but don't kick myself too hard for slipping every once in a while.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 40 / 30 / 30 - carb, protein, fat - but aim for 40 / 40 / 20. I try to get fiber up to 20 and keep sugar below 30 (but I usually fail miserably at that).
  • yocupcake
    yocupcake Posts: 32
    Options
    If you overdose on something, like say protein, it will turn to fat...as would carbs or sugar. So I personally do not like to go over like 20 grams on anything.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I care, looking to learn! thanks

me too. also wanna know what this ketosis thinga-magig is all about :glasses:
  • nolachick
    Options

i'm doing 25g fiber right now. I had to manually enter it in.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I monitor both calories and Macros. I am set at 40-30-30. With this I also monitor my fiber. However, I have yet to find a definitive answer whether in my 40% carbs should I be tracking net carbs which is Carbs minus fiber or total carbs?

So, for example if yesterday I ate 150gms of carbs and my fiber intake was 30gms, so was my total carb intake (in the 40-30-30 ratio), 120 gms or was it 150gms....?

Can anyone help...Dan??

Thanks
    Niva
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I aim for .8-1g of protein per LBM, .45g of fat per LBM and the remaining percentage filled with carbs.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Now that I have lost the majority of my weight and I am in a different phase of this journey for myself I'm focusing more on weight training, building muscle & losing the last 15 or so pounds. My macros are very important to me. I do 45%c/35%p/25%f. I've increased my calories but do watch them as well.
  • nolachick
    Options
    Now that I have lost the majority of my weight and I am in a different phase of this journey for myself I'm focusing more on weight training, building muscle & losing the last 15 or so pounds. My macros are very important to me. I do 45%c/35%p/25%f. I've increased my calories but do watch them as well.

love your ticker! hahah i may have to steal it! :wink:
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    curious what the 'pros' have to say about macronutrient ratios based on body type ie mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph.

example of the theory: http://joesephtyler.blogspot.ca/2009/04/macronutrient-ratios-by-body-type.html

fact or fiction? please weigh in.

That guy isn't a pro. He's a guy who writes a blog and has an opinion. That's what I am.
  • fanceegirl75
    Options
    If you overdose on something, like say protein, it will turn to fat...as would carbs or sugar. So I personally do not like to go over like 20 grams on anything.

So you're only consuming 20g of protein? That isn't going to do your body justice. Sorry!
  • fanceegirl75
    Options

love your ticker! hahah i may have to steal it! :wink:

:laugh: Go for it hun! :drinker:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

So you're only consuming 20g of protein? That isn't going to do your body justice. Sorry!

Wow, that's worse than MFP recommendations :laugh: