Hardboiled EGG..............

Options
124»

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I just use the eggies.

Break the egg into it, place them in boiling water. Once they are done they just slide out and are ready to cut or eat.

I hate peeling eggs and always wreck them so I just use the Eggies ... there are tons of versions out there.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Old eggs are easier to peel. I usually boil mine after they've been sitting in the fridge for at least a few days.

Then I:

Bring a pot to a rolling boil.
    Add eggs gently using a ladle (no cracks as the hit the bottom of the pan).
    10 minutes later, remove eggs.
    Dunk in cold water so that I can actually handle them, but otherwise peel asap (often while warm) and use as desired.
  • elmeresque
    Options
    As several have noted, it is the alkalinity from the baking soda that helps to free the egg from the shell. If your water is already alkaline, you may not have this problem to begin with!
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    There is a membrane underneath the shell. If you break the membrane when first peeling, the shell is super easy to get off.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Fresh eggs are easy to peel. Old eggs not so much.

actually, it's the opposite.

However, here's the easiest way to an easily-peeled, yellow (not green)-yolk hard boiled egg.

Cover eggs with cold water, bring pot to hard rolling boil, remove pot from heat, cover. Time 20 minutes.

Remove eggs to ice water, then peel.

blessings.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I put lots of salt in the pan I boil eggs in. The eggs just peel off like butta, I've never had any damaged eggs from peeling them. Add lots of salt they'll peel soooo easily.
  • ambrec
    ambrec Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    WHAT A WEIRD CONVERSATION BUT THAT IS WHY I LOVE MFP EVERYONE IS ALWAYS SO HELPFUL!!!! :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Cool in ice water then peel. Toss the yolk and consume whites

Disregard. The yolk is not a bad thing.
  • waterpanda
    Options
    as a matter of fact there is a trick!! :DDD

observe!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

I've actually done it w/ out ice and w/ out baking soda, just run it under cool water until you can handle it, crack the ends, seal your lips over one end and bloww!!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    put in COLD WATER after they are done boiling.

Works like magic :)
  • perkypolly
    perkypolly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    add vinegar to the water turn on heat and bring to simmer add eggs and allow pan to boil for 5 mins, take off heat and rest eggs in pan for a few mins. take to sink and let cold tap run over eggs. Remove egg tap on counter and peel shell should all come away easily.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Cool in ice water then peel. Toss the yolk and consume whites

What a waste of a good egg.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon of baking soda in the water before you boil it.
    Put your eggs in the cold water, then start the boiling process.
    Bring to a boil, allow the eggs to cook at a rolling *super hard* boil for 1 minute.
    Take the eggs off the heat, cover and set timer for 17 minutes.
    After the timer goes off, drain the eggs and place in a bowl of ice water to cool.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I always add some salt to water. I always heard it hardens the shell. Put them in real cold water when done. Sometimes I have a problem but not very often
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Having raised egg laying chickens I can say that fresh eggs are harder to peel. As they age, there is a little air space between the shell and the inside. If you have super fresh eggs they are going to be a pain to peel no matter what you do with them.

I have boiled them with a bit of baking soda in the water and that seems to help.

I boil them about 10 minutes then run cool water over them for a couple of minutes then let them sit in cold water. If I'm not eating them right away I mark them with an H so I don't get a surprise later and put them in the fridge. They seem to peel just as easy whether I peel them right away or later.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you cook them and the aftermath, but I very rarely have an issue peeling them. This is how I do it:

Put eggs in pan and cover with cool water until they are just barely covered, add a bit of vinegar if you have problems with the eggs cracking open usually.
    Turn on heat to maximum, allow water to reach boil and boil for approximately 1 minute.
    Turn off heat, remove pan from heat, cover and let sit for 15 minutes.
    Then run the eggs under very cold water for about 20 seconds.
    Tap egg on a surface to fragment the shell all the way around and top/bottom. Roll the egg around in your palms with light pressure in all directions.
    Start at an "easy" area and starting peeling, it's easy if you can get under the thin "skin" just under the shell.

Good results 90% of the time. :flowerforyou:

Edit: I also agree with others, the older the eggs are, the easier they are to peel. Not usually much of an issue when they're store bought.
  • marsy710
    marsy710 Posts: 4
    Options
    You can buy them in a bag, already boiled and peeled. Egglands Best I believe.
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Put the egg in a pan and then fill it with as much water as you want to cover. Put it on the stove and when it starts to boil, put the lid on and turn off the heat. Let it sit 20 minutes and it will cook. Then dump out the water and swirl the egg around in the pan with the lid on to smash the shell. The shell comes right off when you then take the egg out and run it under cold water. I used to HATE making them too but this is by far the easiest way I have found! So simple and easier to take the shell off- which is the most annoying part to me!
  • deanotoot
    deanotoot Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Use a spoon to get under the shell:smile: