Two days of horrible eating in a row. Stressing! Fixing it?

Options
For the past two days I have eaten horribly. My great grandmother passed away so we had two days of comfort foods given to us. I usually eat about 1200 calories a day. Yesterday I hit around 2000 calories. I started my day off normal with healthy snacks and breakfast/ lunch but once dinner came, it went downhill. Key lime pie, spaghetti, rolls and even pecan pie!

Freaking out, I weighed myself this morning and somehow managed to not gain anything. I was still exactly the same.
But today was like round two...

I'm still hitting about 2000 calories but I feel like I ate even worse. KK doughnuts, chocolate cake, Caramel cake, banana pudding....fried chicken, Mac and cheese....and more.

Just horrible! I feel like since its two days in a row like this, today I won't be so lucky and I am going to gain like crazy! What can I do to prevent this? I'm freaking out here! Especially since I'm now only 118 pounds and 1800 calories is supposed to be my absolute limit.

Replies

• contentedmummy
    contentedmummy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up for comfort eating under these circumstances! If I feel myself losing a bit of control, I make myself a green tea, then ask myself these questions before putting anything in my mouth: what do you want to change about yourself/ habits? Is eating the foods I crave going to make me feel better? What have I achieved so far? How did I feel about that achievement.
    Write it down! Then tell yourself YOU CAN DO IT. Believe it.
    Hope that helps. C x
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,067 Member
    Options
    Make a U-Turn. If you missed your turnoff on the freeway, would you keep driving until you went through six states? No, you'd turn around as soon as possible.

u-turn.gif
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    For the past two days I have eaten horribly. My great grandmother passed away so we had two days of comfort foods given to us. I usually eat about 1200 calories a day. Yesterday I hit around 2000 calories. I started my day off normal with healthy snacks and breakfast/ lunch but once dinner came, it went downhill. Key lime pie, spaghetti, rolls and even pecan pie!

Freaking out, I weighed myself this morning and somehow managed to not gain anything. I was still exactly the same.
    But today was like round two...

I'm still hitting about 2000 calories but I feel like I ate even worse. KK doughnuts, chocolate cake, Caramel cake, banana pudding....fried chicken, Mac and cheese....and more.

Just horrible! I feel like since its two days in a row like this, today I won't be so lucky and I am going to gain like crazy! What can I do to prevent this? I'm freaking out here! Especially since I'm now only 118 pounds and 1800 calories is supposed to be my absolute limit.

I'm smaller...and I INTENTIONALLY eat 2000 MINIMUM a day. I really wouldn't be concerned. Your choices are poor--fix that--your calories are not an issue.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    You've eaten a couple of hundred calories over maintenance for a couple of days and you're worried that you'll "gain like crazy"? Please. (Although I have no idea how you've only eaten 2,000 calories a day with all those foods you listed unless you took one or two bites of each.) Take a long walk, spend a half hour doing cardio or lifting and forget it. Also, remember that no one here has any control over what goes in your mouth. Only YOU have that control.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    your great grandmother died. focus on that and don't worry so much about a few days of bad eating.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about it AT ALL. A few days of poor eating will not ruin everything, just start back on your normal eating routine when you feel up to it. Take the time to be comforted, don't feel guilty at all :flowerforyou:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Get back on the horse soldier.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm so, so sorry for your loss.
    Two days of "horrible" comfort eating is the least of your problems. Focus on your mind and your emotions. Feed your soul however that may be - whether it's cheesecake or yoga. If you're worried about your health, just don't let it go on too long (two days of clean eating totally undoes two days of bad eating!) and see if working out makes you feel better or worse...

If you're just eating to have something to do with yourself, which I totally understand, buy yourself a huge box of cereal and all the fruit you can carry and have at it all day.

Hope you feel better soon xx
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Don't stress over a couple of days of bad eating. Its exceptional circumstances, not normal, and you're obviously still exercising some control, else it'd be WAY over your calories. When things calm down, and visitors become less frequent, you'll pull it back, don't worry. You won't gain a large amount of weight from a few days of being less strict on yourself.
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Make a U-Turn. If you missed your turnoff on the freeway, would you keep driving until you went through six states? No, you'd turn around as soon as possible.

u-turn.gif

I love this
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The ironic part here is that your 2000 calorie days sound healthier than the 1200 calorie days.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For me, if I make some... let's say questionable... choices about what I put in my mouth, it only gets worse if I beat myself up about it. And this has been my cycle for going on 15 years now. I finally realized that if I'm really in this to be healthy, and it really is going to be a life long change (which is has to be)( *smacks forehead to reinforce idea*) then I'm going to have days, possibly even weeks where I'm not making the perfect choices every time. But that's okay, because one less than great choice does not make me a failure. Choosing a cupcake over a bran muffin for my birthday does not make me weak. Seriously.

So grieve your grandmother. Eat the comfort food if you want. Don't beat yourself up about it. You will be okay and the world will not end if you eat pecan pie. Just know that two days, or even two weeks of off-track eating doesn't have to derail you completely. Not if you don't let it.
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss. :flowerforyou: I had a couple of bad days and I didn't have a death in the family. :huh: Grieve but get back on the wagon! Do it now! Eating like a fool won't make you feel better. On the contrary, it will only make you feel worse.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track and keep going. Don't worry about "fixing it" because nothing is broken. Two days are not going to hurt your progress long-term.

Often 1200 calories isn't enough and sometimes it leads to overeating. I honestly think it's more likely that you're just grieving, but it might be worth looking at. Also I'm sorry for your loss. :flowerforyou:
  • foodfathought
    foodfathought Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Just try to do as best you can to get back to your 1200NET. Don't try anything to "undo" your unplanned extra eating. Maybe even eat a little more if it helps - 1200 is the lowest people tend to have here. And don't forget lots of water to flush out that sodium.
  • Jennnifit
    Jennnifit Posts: 30 Member
    Options

u-turn.gif

Excellent!^

When I do this, I immediately get back into the routine - pushing even MORE fluids than usual to help cleanse away the added weight. It's really important to quickly get back into the healthier routine you were in. Most of us go through this and then we need to ask ourselves, "What will I gain (literally) if I continue at this rate?". And like someone else said, remind yourself how far you've come and ask/remind yourself what more you would like to see improved. Chalk up it up to, "Ok, I had a few luxury days of comfort food indulgence, it was great, I'll see it again one day - but for now, it's time to get back into the game". :smile:
  • Jennnifit
    Jennnifit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    And oh, I am very sorry your for loss. :heart:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ........ Especially since I'm now only 118 pounds and 1800 calories is supposed to be my absolute limit.

So, what exactly is your weight goal?
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sending prayers and hugs your way.:flowerforyou:

u-turn.gif

Ditto this^^^^ well said!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    The ironic part here is that your 2000 calorie days sound healthier than the 1200 calorie days.