Did Zumba really burn that many calories?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    apparently not lol

Really? Because we alllllllllll know that big girls can't be in shape right? SMH....

Yes you are right big girls can be in shape and some of the most fit friends I have started out big. Obvisouly any exercise is a good start, sorry I didn't mean to strike a nerve with anyone, just spitting out some of my horrible humor.

Bad boys need to be punished :glasses:
  • kalieah
    kalieah Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    apparently not lol
    C4m1h9C.jpg

I think that may have more to do with McDonalds than Zumba.

whats so funny about this..?
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba up to 6 x's a week now - and once a week I try to do a back to back class - 2 hours - I LOVE LOVE LOVE it - I have been on MFP since end of January 2012 - lost 11 pounds so far - and noticeably losing inches. I have heard plenty of weight loss success stories about Zumba - one of my friends daughters lost 50 pounds doing Zumba and of course eating healthier - move more/eat less works - Our instructor is INCREDIBLE - Troy Lazareo - he was a cheerleader and gymnast in college and he has the moves - is enthusiastic and makes us work hard - but we all love it - I use the online calculators to estimate the burn - know I'm working out at a high intensity - I check my own heart rate - would like to eventually get a monitor - but I believe Zumba works with proper diet - I also do some classes for 1 1/2 hours - 30 minutes are strength training - I bring my own weights because the Zumba weights are too light for me even with multiple repetitions - I also do some weight training at a gym in between - If you haven't tried Zumba - find a great class - I think going to classes is the best if you can - everyone is shaking their booties and having fun - no inhibitions allowed! Just go for it! Cheers! :flowerforyou:
  • driley9330
    driley9330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ive lost weight and 4 inches since jan from doing zumba. I weigh 223 currently and I love it. I feel that in group fitness you can push yourself even more. The calories you stated is right.
  • itsjilly
    itsjilly Posts: 40
    Options
    I would say yes. I was 240ish when I started zumba, and wore a heart rate monitor, and I would get 500-600 calories burnt during an hour
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    apparently not lol
    C4m1h9C.jpg

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not at all a Zumba fan but more power to people who do it... lol
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I would believe it! Especially if it's your first time doing it b/c your body isn't used to it. I do it once a week, I use my HRM and my burn is always 100-200 cals over what the norm is. (1min=10Cals) So, I think the 648 number is right!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Isn't it science that the more you weight the more calories you burn..........?

Yes, and no. It depends on your body composition. 2 people who weigh the same, but have drastically different BF%, will burn calories at different rates. Muscle mass burns way more calories than fat tissue. That is why generally men burn more cals than women, due to increased muscle mass.
  • sizzler0123
    Options
    I am close to your weight as well, just a bit under, and I wear my HRM to Zumba class which I do twice a week. I regularly burn anywhere from 475-520 depending on the class (if there are new songs that we are learning i burn a little less as I am just getting to know the moves). I find I burn less when I do it at home.
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    i am 220 and my hrm shows sometimes 750 so yeah i would say thats right
  • TheresaC928
    TheresaC928 Posts: 849
    Options
    The more you weigh the more you burn. For instance, I wear a HRM to mine at 220 lbs I burn anywhere from 540-600 calories in an hour. The Zumba calories burned calculator on line was generally a little less. No matter what it burns a heck of alot of calories so shake it baby! :)
  • TheresaC928
    TheresaC928 Posts: 849
    Options
    i am 220 and my hrm shows sometimes 750 so yeah i would say thats right

We are twins in weight and you're doing better than me. I better step up my game. You go girl!
  • serrazee
    serrazee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've been doing Zumba the past couple of weeks, and just logging it as "Dancing, General". According to this thread I've been grossly underestimating my calorie burn! My HRM needs a new battery, I should take care of that and track it for real!