any zumba success stories?

Replies

• I'm new to fitness pal and couldn't find zumba in the exercise data base. How are you able to track the calories burned? Do you substitute another exercise?
  • jouergal
    jouergal Posts: 40
    http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

I used this website to calculate. Hope it helps! :smile:
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    What if you have 0-zilch-nada rhythm? I couldn't follow a group fitness class if you gave me a map, GPS and shoved me in the right direction. Could I Zumba without hurting others, myself or being politely asked to never return?
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    I have been doing zumba since April of 2012 and had already lost a few pounds by calorie counting. The majority of my loss has been with zumba being my main workout. I notice that I burn more in a class compared to working out with a dvd though. I am slowing down some on zumba because I am challenged myself to do the couch to 5k program.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    3-09-13

To start with, I have congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I had also undergone implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) implantation surgery... When I started Zumba in January 2012, my heart's ejection fraction or efficiency level had been rated at only 27%...

As of December 2012 my ejection fraction had improved to 45%. My implantable cardioverter defibrillator had not detected any dangerous heart rhythms... In addition, I had a partial reversal of my cardiomyopathy... That is my heart is not as enlarged as it had been about a year ago... I have been doing Zumba for about a year and hip-hop fitness for the past five months......

Last night we had a Zumba phon at our local Y and I had been able to do a two hour Zumba workout without getting dizzy... Or put it another way, I had greater endurance than most of the 18-21 year old participants. And I'm 47 who has cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and has to live with a ICD device implanted in the left side of his chest...

In addition, I love Zumba and other forms of cardio dance... In fact, I love Zumba so much that on May 2, I am going for Zumba Basic 1 instructor certification...
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    3-09-13

To start with, I have congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy. I had also undergone implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) implantation surgery... When I started Zumba in January 2012, my heart's ejection fraction or efficiency level had been rated at only 27%...

As of December 2012 my ejection fraction had improved to 45%. My implantable cardioverter defibrillator had not detected any dangerous heart rhythms... In addition, I had a partial reversal of my cardiomyopathy... That is my heart is not as enlarged as it had been about a year ago... I have been doing Zumba for about a year and hip-hop fitness for the past five months......

Last night we had a Zumba phon at our local Y and I had been able to do a two hour Zumba workout without getting dizzy... Or put it another way, I had greater endurance than most of the 18-21 year old participants. And I'm 47 who has cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and has to live with a ICD device implanted in the left side of his chest...

In addition, I love Zumba and other forms of cardio dance... In fact, I love Zumba so much that on May 2, I am going for Zumba Basic 1 instructor certification which will require me to be able to physically work on Zumba routine for a total of at least five hours...

LOVE YOUR STORY!!! I'm a Cardiac Cath Lab nurse- love how well your EF and other functions improved! That's amazing!
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    I love Zumba! I haven't seen much loss yet, but my diet is still in the works and is what I really need to work on. However I've seen a change in my function- I feel better and have more stamina. I'm not huffing through class anymore- last night I was doing the extra jumps and bounces. We've recently started doing Zumba toning after class for 45 minutes (almost two hours of Zumba)! It was fun and we got a great burn.
  • kleonard42
    kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
    I'm new to fitness pal and couldn't find zumba in the exercise data base. How are you able to track the calories burned? Do you substitute another exercise?

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned

This is also the website that I use to track my calories burned for Zumba.
  • kleonard42
    Thank you guys so much!!! I will definitely be sticking with Zumba as my main workout. I think I will do Zumba 5 days a week, Treadclimber 1 day a week and be sure to work in some strength training. I feel like I will be doing really well with that and see some pretty good results.

I have another question, though!! What about intensity level? I use http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned to track my calories burned during a workout, but I just always put my intensity level as "Mid".....how do I know when it's high? There are times I do a full hour, no stopping and full energy the whole time but I can still talk a bit. I think they say if you can't talk then it's high intensity. I just wonder if I should keep tracking it at a mid intensity level or bump it up sometimes. Any thoughts??

36525582.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    I am the same way! My instructor says if I can't do something just keep my feet moving and my heart rate will stay up.
  • cmccoy0901
    cmccoy0901 Posts: 156 Member
    I been doing zumba since September 2012 and I seeing a difference about a month into it. I'm also working out with a personal trainer at my gym. But my main work out is zumba I go anywhere from 5-10 zumba classes a week plus I do it on my wii. I actually plan to become a zumba instructor once I reach my weight goal.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    bump
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    I lost all of my baby weight doing Zumba. I'm at my goal weight and lighter than I was before I got pregnant.

I have lots of fun doing Zumba, but I also eat healthy and strength train.
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I can't say enough wonderful things about Zumba!! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! :bigsmile: I've been doing Zumba for 4 months now at my gym and I have Zumba for the Wii 3 or 4 times a week. I also strength train 3 times a week. Sometimes I do the eliptical or treadmil or some Turbo Jam (kickboxing) but not as often as Zumba. It is the most fun workout ever and I consistently see results!!
  • kleonard42
    Thank you guys so much! I love reading these posts..they are very encouraging and will definitely help me push myself harder and harder for longer Zumba workouts:) I know now more than ever how much Zumba really did for my body, though. Only for last week I did no Zumba and all Treadclimber...yesterday I did Zumba and saw how much softer my stomach and arms already were!!! I was blown away. I know I need to stick with Zumba now because it really does help transform my whole entire body.

Thanks again and any more comments are wanted!! :D
  • greyfoxx006
    greyfoxx006 Posts: 16 Member
    I did Zumba last time I did the "I'm gonna lose weight" thing (I got depressed and stopped, but now I'm at it again)

When I was doing Zumba, the DVDs that is, I was addicted after the first try. Ended up losing 15lbs and 2inches ish off my waist. I loved it and can't wait to start it again.
  • sherimacquarrie
    sherimacquarrie Posts: 69 Member
    I LOVE zumba!! I make sure to get in two classe a week!! I consider it my excercise and therapy!! Never leave a class without a big smile on my face! The fact that I've lost over 50 pounds while doing it.... bonus!! :)
  • sherimacquarrie
    woops
  • sherimacquarrie
    What if you have 0-zilch-nada rhythm? I couldn't follow a group fitness class if you gave me a map, GPS and shoved me in the right direction. Could I Zumba without hurting others, myself or being politely asked to never return?
    Yes! When I started, I was in the back corner praying noone looked at me!! I felt like my hips were hinged wrong.... just could not follow the moves. Eventually though the moves start to become more natural and new moves are not as hard to learn. This week the lady in class behind me told me that she follows me!!!! WHAT!! I still feel like I look silly... but I dont care! It truly brings me happiness!! I look forward to every class and get very frustrated if i have to miss! I do think that finding an amazing instructer makes a big difference!! Try it!! You wont regret it!! :)
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Not putting any downs on Zumba, but have you tried Chalene Johnson's TurboFire?
    Yes, you want to sweat, that's a good workout....I love Zumba though and I do it 2 to 3 times a week along alternating with the Turbo....I am 55 but I can still move fast...lol...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!