Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?
    Try profession bodybuilding forums.
    Quality of food matters a heck of alot more than quantity. Professional athletes have proven this.
    For the record, there is no food I don't like which is one of the reasons I am where I am today.lol!
    The bread on a bacon cheese burger, the processed cheese and the bacon are all bad for you. (white bread, fake cheese and enough sodium and nitrates to kill you.
    It's crap crap and crap.

That's actually not true at all. Most professional athletes eat high calorie foods in order to *maintain* their weight. There is *nothing* unhealthy about white bread, and who the hell said that I would *EVER* put fake cheese product in my food? I use sharp cheddar TYVM! And there's NO WAY to get enough sodium in one meal to kill a person. That's simply not true. You need to do some research.

ETA: And FTR, I don't actually eat cheeseburger, but I do enjoy a bacon cheeseburger pizza from time to time. :bigsmile:

I personally know professional athletes. They both have a cheat day where they indulge in the real yummables :drinker:
    But for the rest of the time, white bread is bad for your glycemic index. it's made of simple carbohydrates which digest quickly, giving you a burst of insulin which if it is not used up as energy will quickly turn into fat.
    Thumbs up on eating real cheese!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919411-the-glycemic-index

Thanks, Sara! Awesome link! :drinker:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It worked for me in the past, but I didn't form the habits needed to maintain the weight loss.

VLC diet= quick but not long term results!

1200 is not considered a very low calorie diet.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or do the angry 1200 cal dieters seem a little...cranky and hungry??

;)

I do get tired of reading the same old crap from people who are on their umpteenth weight loss "journey."
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It worked for me in the past, but I didn't form the habits needed to maintain the weight loss.

It sure is if your maintenance is 2200-2500 or more. Context.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I've yet to see anyone whose BMR is 1200.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I should add, to be completely fair, that I think a lot of younger people who are more active in their daily lives are making a big mistake by jumping straight onto 1200 as their total number for the day. But MFP never intended for them to do that. It is for sedentary people and that means it is not for people who work on their feet, students who cross campus with giant backpacks full of books, and those kids trampling across people's lawns. These hoodlums need to eat more than 1200 every day even if they don't make a conscious effort to work out. Now get off my lawn!

This exactly is the point. Just because 1200 calories a day is the right number of calories for a very petite, sedentary, older woman or someone with a medical issue that slows the metabolism, does not make it the right number of calories for a larger, younger more active person with no medical issues.

If someone genuinely only needs to eat 1200 calories a day, and they punch their data into a TDEE calculator and subtract ten or twenty percent (depending on how much they have left to lose), then the number they end up with will be 1200 calories (or close to it) and they can carry on safe in the knowledge that it's the right number of calories for them. The problem is, the vast majority of the time when people on 1200 calories a day diets do that, they get a really big number, sometimes well over 2000. Some of them think again and work their way up to eating the higher number of calories, and end up feeling a lot happier, healthier and having a lot more energy, and also experience more steady weight loss as a result. Others freak out at the big number, refuse to eat that much and carry on eating 1200 calories a day. Then there are those who refuse to even try to punch their numbers in the calculators. People who genuinely need to only eat 1200 calories a day will not lose anything by punching their numbers into the calculators to see if they really and truly do only need to eat 1200 calories a day.

*tiptoes carefully from your lawn*

This exactly. I see a lot of people asking if they should "follow MFP numbers or TDEE-20%." If you have both set up correctly, they should be about the same. My TDEE-20% would be 1820. As a lightly active person, MFP gives me about 1300 to lose one pound a week, and averaging 400 calories per workout, that puts me at about 1700. Pretty close.

Yes! Thank you! This has been bugging the heck out of me because it seems so obvious that I got so confused about all the disagreement. The TDEE- 20 method is usually for less than 2lbs a week loss. If you plug that into MFP and eat back the way MFP is designed, then it will be a negligible difference! Thank you thank I am not losing my mind!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

It sure is if your maintenance is 2200-2500 or more. Context.

In strictly scientific terms, it is not. A VLCD is defined in the scientific community as a diet of 800 calories or less. The most flexible use of the term I've seen is 40% of TDEE (and that wasn't in a research paper). Even with maintenance of 2500 that would be 1000 calories not 1200.

Most research conducted on obese individuals (who probably do have a higher maintenance level) uses diets of 800 or less as the VLCD part and defines 1000-1200 calorie diets as calorie restricted, low calorie, or balanced daily deficit (or balanced daily diet when using the term to define a nutritious diet of 1200 calories).
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    No. Wrong. What that poster is indicating with that comment, is the proven history that EVERY time someone posts a thread about EATMORE, they are shot down and told, 'who do you think you are to tell me what to do???? whaahhh, whaaahh, whahhh'. And then the pissing match begins. I just do not understand how anyone who is completely satisfied with what they are doing gets themselves soooo bent out of shape when others write a thread about an alternative.

First, those of us who eat under 1200 calories tend to not hear the end of it. I saw a friend's status update recently and her friend revealed that she put her diary on private because she didn't want to keep getting chastised for her diet. That is what we are responding to. If it were one a thread here and there, you probably wouldn't get such a strong response.

Second, this simple post seemed to qualify in everybody's mind and there is no whinging in it:
    Being that I'm 5 feet nothing tall and down 32 pounds, why yes, I DO think it's a good idea!! Keep up the good work though, scout.

Nor does your response address the sarcastic, "It worked for me," that was met with laughter.

Third, you seem a bit worked up, too. You just reduced other people's points to, 'whaahhh, whaaahh, whahhh'. That isn't nice. That is NOT nice. It makes you seem angry. You may not be. I will also allow that I may seem angry to you. I am autistic so I am tremendously bad at coming off any certain way. If I seem angry, I will take full responsibility for that. But I am calm. Very much so. I actually feel very happy right now. Just FYI.

Fourth and final, I do find that the eatmore crowd tends to ignore the rational, scientific, evidence based disagreements. They ignore the information providers and feed the emotional responders. So there is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy at work here.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or do the angry 1200 cal dieters seem a little...cranky and hungry??

;)

:laugh:
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Seems like some of us would do well to remember that the reading of any of these threads or the taking of any advice on the forums is not mandatory.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    1171 is the BMR of a 75 year old, 5'6" female weighing 130 pounds. (Scooby's)

1,006 is the BMR of a 75 year old 5 foot tall female on this website, on Scooby's calculator its 1100 for someone this age and height, sedentary activity at 120 lbs (which could even be considered a bit overweight for that height)... still under 1200 a day.

Go on though, biology, math and physics shouldn't get in the way of a good internet argument, lol.
  • SprinkledWithEmotion
    SprinkledWithEmotion Posts: 67 Member
    Options

;)

My thoughts exactly. :P
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Seems like some of us would do well to remember that the reading of any of these threads or the taking of any advice on the forums is not mandatory.

We all need to realize as well that forums like this tend to attract contrarian debate-lovers such as myself.

:happy:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

;)

It is called HANGRY :happy:
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    also, to be captain obvious again... people self-reporting 1200 calories or less a day, who are morbidly obese not losing weight are doing something to not lose weight, and I guarantee it's not their thyroid acting up, but stuff not being logged that is being eaten.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1454084

Discrepancy between self-reported and actual caloric intake and exercise in obese subjects.
    Lichtman SW, Pisarska K, Berman ER, Pestone M, Dowling H, Offenbacher E, Weisel H, Heshka S, Matthews DE, Heymsfield SB.
    Source
    Department of Medicine, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND AND METHODS:
    Some obese subjects repeatedly fail to lose weight even though they report restricting their caloric intake to less than 1200 kcal per day. We studied two explanations for this apparent resistance to diet--low total energy expenditure and underreporting of caloric intake--in 224 consecutive obese subjects presenting for treatment. Group 1 consisted of nine women and one man with a history of diet resistance in whom we evaluated total energy expenditure and its main thermogenic components and actual energy intake for 14 days by indirect calorimetry and analysis of body composition. Group 2, subgroups of which served as controls in the various evaluations, consisted of 67 women and 13 men with no history of diet resistance.
    RESULTS:
    Total energy expenditure and resting metabolic rate in the subjects with diet resistance (group 1) were within 5 percent of the predicted values for body composition, and there was no significant difference between groups 1 and 2 in the thermic effects of food and exercise. Low energy expenditure was thus excluded as a mechanism of self-reported diet resistance. In contrast, the subjects in group 1 underreported their actual food intake by an average (+/- SD) of 47 +/- 16 percent and overreported their physical activity by 51 +/- 75 percent. Although the subjects in group 1 had no distinct psychopathologic characteristics, they perceived a genetic cause for their obesity, used thyroid medication at a high frequency, and described their eating behavior as relatively normal (all P < 0.05 as compared with group 2).
    CONCLUSIONS:
    The failure of some obese subjects to lose weight while eating a diet they report as low in calories is due to an energy intake substantially higher than reported and an overestimation of physical activity, not to an abnormality in thermogenesis.
  • cktb4him
    cktb4him Posts: 56
    Options
    Being that I'm 5 feet nothing tall and down 32 pounds, why yes, I DO think it's a good idea!! Keep up the good work though, scout.

Me too.
  • Spindigo1
    Spindigo1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

;)

It is called HANGRY :happy:

Hahahaha! Hangry me is NOT a pretty sight!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    1171 is the BMR of a 75 year old, 5'6" female weighing 130 pounds. (Scooby's)

1,006 is the BMR of a 75 year old 5 foot tall female on this website, on Scooby's calculator its 1100 for someone this age and height, sedentary activity at 120 lbs (which could even be considered a bit overweight for that height)... still under 1200 a day.

Go on though, biology, math and physics shouldn't get in the way of a good internet argument, lol.

And what is the proportion of people eating 1200 calories that fall within those parameters? Very small. Guaranteed.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I do still think it's a freaking great idea. I'm a short little person without a thyroid and yet I've managed to lose and keep off 20+ pounds doing it. I've done medical metabolic testing and my BMR is actually well under 1200.
  • okremix
    okremix Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    People justify doing all kinds of silly things to hurt their bodies without doing their own research. I see it every day in the ICU. And side note, your general doctor probably doesn't know squat about nutrition. Ask him where he got the information he is advising, it's probably not from the peer reviewed research he has been doing in his free time. Doctors don't know everything and I would be pressed to say some would make crap up just to avoid seeming ignorant on the subject. People do what they want to though. It's not mean...it's the truth.