Anyone use a kitchen scale to weigh food before eating?

Options

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yes. I got it because I had no idea how to log things like cheese otherwise. Mine is called "Escali" and cost me about $30, I think.
  • RUGGEDGerit
    Options
    YES!!!!!
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Yeah I use a food scale for pretty much everything. :) I think the one at home is a general digital scale. :)
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I too have the Biggest Loser one, and I love it! At $20-25 online through Walmart, it was the cheapest one I could find with the best reviews. I agree that it makes a world of difference. How else would you know what 4 ounces of chicken looks like?
  • n_rockey
    n_rockey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have one with a platform that I put my plate on and hit the tare button. Then as I load up my plate I log the quantities of everything by weight. My biggest shocker was actually fruit. What one person considers a "medium" piece of fruit may not be the same as what I consider a "medium" piece of fruit, but 28 gr (1 oz) is always 28 gr.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use an inexpensive kitchen scale I bought on Ebay for about $5.00 including shipping. It's quite accurate and I use it every day. It's a habit I got into when I was going to weigh watchers. I also have a set of measuring spoons and cups and a 1 cup liquid measure.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost everything that isn't liquid. I can just about guess how much the slice of avocado, cube of cheese, or portion of meat weighs now. Mine is a vintage spring scale (Pelouze, 2 lb capacity with 1/4 ounce divisions) designed for weighing ice cream servings--very simple and very accurate, .

Costco has a nice digital scale on sale right now. http://www.frugalhotspot.com/2012/12/kamenstein-digital-kitchen-scale-15-99/
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Yeah I have one by Taylor that I think is from Target. It's SO HELPFUL.

Here's a tip: you can put a container of something on the scale, then hit TARE, then remove stuff from the container and it will give you a negative number so you know exactly how much you've taken out. I find it super helpful for things like licking the peanut butter knife. Because whatever is on the knife is included in the weight you removed from the jar.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Yep, keeps me honest. I don't weigh everything, but I still do sometimes just to make sure I am estimating properly.

I use this one and love it: Cuisinart KS-55 Weight Mate Digital Kitchen Scale. About $33 on Amazon.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I bought this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Professional-Digital-Kitchen-Tempered/dp/B006N0OIIG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362940685&sr=8-2

It works well, decent price, looks nice and is easy to clean (flat glass surface).
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yup, weigh most things. It can be truly eye opening. I have the Biggest Loser Scale. Honestly, I don't think the brand matters; I would just look for a few features- big enough surface to actually put things on and still be able to see what the reading is, the ability to zero it out (helps when I put a bowl down and then add the product to the bowl), and the ability to switch between grams and ounces.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I do... I can't just eye ball it.
  • whitedove4
    whitedove4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have and use a food scale. Without it, I wouldn't know if my portions were accurate, this is especially true for meat and snack foods. If a portion size says 4oz. I have no idea how much that is and certainly don't want to guess so I think a food scale is essential. Mine isn't digital. It's just one I picked up at Wal-Mart. I've tested it against food labels and it's spot on perfect in it's measurements.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I use it daily. I have gotten better at just knowing by sight now which comes in handy at other peoples houses. But I will dish it up and then weigh it to see how close I am.

I always wonder about how people weigh meat, before cooking or after??

BTW mine is digital and weighs in oz/lbs, gm, fl oz, and mls. I bought it for 20 ish bucks at our HEB grocery store.
  • Summergirl_88
    Options
    I got some scales from amazon, i'm sure they we're pretty inexpensive but they're amazing. I can't believe how wrong I was about my portion sizes! Especially pasta and rice- I must have been eating almost 200g before I started weighing things!
  • MonM80
    MonM80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have one and love it for portion control!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have one by Taylor that I think is from Target. It's SO HELPFUL.

Here's a tip: you can put a container of something on the scale, then hit TARE, then remove stuff from the container and it will give you a negative number so you know exactly how much you've taken out. I find it super helpful for things like licking the peanut butter knife. Because whatever is on the knife is included in the weight you removed from the jar.

Such a great tip!
  • MonM80
    MonM80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh it after cooking since that's what you'll actually be consuming.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Is anyone here not using a scale? :))

I find it difficult to truly track calories without scale, it's my number one tool.
    I weight all ingredients before cooking (the cooked weight is a bad measurement, how much is cooked and how is too much of a variance), food after cooking (I don't just aproximate serving size), etc.

I think any kitchen scale would be good... I have a unknown brand and is ok. It won't last that long in the kitchen environment, but it's ok.
    What I look in a scale is to have the `zero` feature. That way I don't have to substract the weight of containers and I get weight ingredients one by one as I add them.
    Also, I am carefull on the maximum weight they can bare. I need at least 5 kg (big pots of food for the whole week must be weighted also in my world :)) ).
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Absolutely everything!