Anyone use a kitchen scale to weigh food before eating?

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yes, all the time (when I'm tracking)

much more accurate/reliable than volume measurements

go for it
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    You bet! A Cuisinart with a glass top that I bought for about $30 at Bed Bath and Beyond. It was probably the best purchase I've made for myself. It's been especially helpful with measuring out fresh produce.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

I've been thinking about getting a kitchen scale, to weigh my food before eating, so I have a better idea of how big some of my meal portions are, especially meats, to get an most accurate picture of how many calories I've consuming a day.

Do any of you use kitchen scales for weight loss purposes? And if so, what are some brands/models you've had good experiences with?

Feel free to "weigh in" with your answers! I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions!

Oh hell yeah. All the time. I wouldn't be able to track without my kitchen scale. I just bought one at Target that weighs in grams. Don't recall the brand, but I'm happy with it.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi I use my when it is not clear on the package, it helps me to work out how much is in a packet so I can figure out the total calories
  • Ribba
    Ribba Posts: 31
    Options
    I have kitchen scales sitting on the counter.
    They are just for looking at!
  • antonjanik
    Options
    I weigh out home smoked turkey and cut fruit, mostly. And anything i can't readily portion. I use a bamboo covered digital scale from BBB. A scale is definitely necessary if you plan to really track what you eat, which leads to knowledge and ultimately, control. Which of course means success. This is an endurance race, and you can do it; daily successes will lead to your goal weight.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a lovely little red Escali Primo scale, that works really well for me.

It works great, shows things in grams, ounces, or pounds & ounces.

There's a tare button, so I can put my cereal bowl down, push tare, and then weigh out the amount of cereal (more accurate than measuring by volume).
  • younginaz
    younginaz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Before I started my journey last month I went to a nurtitionist. She recommened using the old fashioned deck of cards size is three ounces, etc. Her rationale was that your are in a lifestyle change and it is not feasible that you will be able to always be in a positoin to weigh food.

I have been using this strategy for a month and it is working for me.

With that said, I think if you use a scale a first you will obvioulsy start teaching yourself how much certain serviings look like and then you won't need the scale anymore.
  • dawnfto
    dawnfto Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything! It has really helped.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have the EatSmart one too, just got it from Amazon and it turned out mine's defective! I emailed the company today and got a response TODAY, from the company Vice President (!!!!) who said they are going to replace it free of charge and I most likely won't need to return the defective one. So if fabulous customer service is part of your consideration, there's a testimonial for you.

And to answer the OP: if I'm going to eat it, I weigh it.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    Yes, this is crucial to train your brain. After a couple of months, you'll get better at estimating portions.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Terraillon

don't know the model number - it doesn't list one, but I've had it for probably 8 years, maybe 10. It's a short of short disc shape. It takes 4 AA batteries and I only have to change them about every two years.

It holds up to about 4.5 lbs.

I have just about destroyed it and when it finally kicks the bucket I plan to replace it with the same thing if I can find it.
  • kar1ey
    kar1ey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do and I love it! I notice that a lot of MFP entries have things measured per 100g. So I'll have like 55 grams of grapes, for instance, and log it as .55 of a serving of 100g. Definitely a great way to be accurate and it's so easy. I tell everyone I know who wants to lose weight to buy a food scale.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have a simple, inexpensive digital kitchen scale, and I have found it to be a very valuable tool. It was worth it!
  • ereach4731
    ereach4731 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been using mine for a few weeks now and love it! It makes a huge difference and is an eye opener of just how bad I have been over eating still.

PS - If you're going to be that mindful of that food you are eating, I recommend that you get a heart rate monitor to accurately measure the calories you burn working out so that you are in as complete balance as possible.
  • crazihel
    crazihel Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes and it is brilliant. Get digital scales - exact to the gram or to the tiniest part oz. I love mine and I know exactly what I'm having!
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My kitchen scales are my best friend, they keep me on track but at times I am surprised how little I get on certain foods. x
  • bethanykf
    bethanykf Posts: 68
    Options
    I measure most of my food. You can get an inexpensive scale at walmart that works perfectly fine.

^^Same here.

I find it keeps me honest, you can heap a cup full and still call it a 'cup' but you can't stretch servings on a scale - 28 grams is 28 grams...
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yup, I weigh absolutely everything down to the gram when I'm cooking. I have a cheap supermarket brand of digital scales that do gram/oz and have a TARE function that I find very handy when doing one pot recipes as I can stick the bowl on top and reset every time I add a new ingredient.

From weighing everything I now know that my 'eye' for food weights was way, waaaaaaaaaaaay out before.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Ummm yes because most recipes seem to unreasonably want you to measure out things!!!

But seriously - I got myself a decent digital scale which is a bit of a godsend for things like small snack bags of nuts and raisins and of course cooking from recipes/scratch. One of the key things has been gradually reducing portion sizes - works well in that respect