Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• okremix
    okremix Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    "my RMR was 907, TDEE is 1179 with a desk job. I am glad I paid to get this info as I was struggling and gaining while trying to eat more"
    Yay for you getting the information you need to make individualized and appropriate decisions for your health!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I seem to have lost my placeholder. Can someone point me to the page where the pro-1200 people blew the OP's argument out of the water by posting their bikini pics?
  • fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options
    There was a day and a time when I was eating 1000 calories a day, and if I went over I would feel so ashamed of myself. How ignorant I was then.

I would go through everyday hungry, depressed, and hardly any energy. Yes, I would lose weight very fast. But then if my body got a taste of anything with substantial calories in it I would go overboard and binge because I was starving. Then I would gain all the weight back because lord knows if I had one cupcake I screwed up everything and I might as well say screw the whole dang diet.

Now that I have set my calories higher I feel better. I am losing weight along the way and I haven't even started exercising yet.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that Taso and Coach Reddy are actually agreeing with each other on this thread shows how much win is contained in the OP.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • okremix
    okremix Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Suicide isn't for everyone either and educated people wouldn't encourage its use to the masses. Educating people on health, who don't know any better, is the right thing to do even if the ignorant defenders of wrong disagree.

Nor is aggression, or assuming that all 1200 calorie uses are "ignorant" and name calling. Surely the larger of us get called names enough in real life. Also if you consider this to be "ill education" then wait until someone asks for help. People only want to change for themselves not for others, also this type of post and "mob mentality" is certainly not going to feel like you're "helping us". It feels like bullying

All the best
    Han x

It is an analogy as is promoting "jumping off a bridge". It's not right for the MAJORITY of people and ignorant is not name calling in my book of definitions. It is a lack of knowledge on a specific topic that can lead people to pursue a dangerous path. Chronic restricting is a controlling/coping mechanism that is one of the many factors that can lead to disordered eating and health problems. PERIOD. There are better and healthier ways. If you think your body is a special exception to nature then treat it specially and get your metabolism tested.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

ETA: To make this post a little more useful, have a look at the thread below, to better understand how your calorie target should be set for the best long term success:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Interestingly, I recommend this same thread to people, instead of following generic online calculators. This method uses your actual experience to figure your TDEE and it confirmed that 1200 is a good calorie level for me to be at to lose 1 pound per week at this point. Which I have been steadily losing.

So yeah, for ME, my 1200 calorie diet is a good idea. While certainly not right for everyone. We all must figure out what works best for our bodies and our situation. I would really like for people to not automatically assume that everyone who does eat 1200 a day, is doing it wrong.
    And FTR, I have yet to start a thread complaining about not losing weight, or being tired, or losing my hair, or being hungry, etc. I'm just happily rocking along, getting leaner and stronger and buying smaller clothes!

For those who ARE complaining about it not working for them, then perhaps you should nicely suggest to THEM, that they might benefit from eating more nutritious foods. Protein deficiency is a major cause of hair loss, BTW, so for those who have restricted their calories by decreasing protein, that may be the reason they are losing their hair.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that Taso and Coach Reddy are actually agreeing with each other on this thread shows how much win is contained in the OP.
    I wasn't aware it was a contest.

Eh?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    of the people actively posting about 1200 cal diets that worked for them...

the youngest was 39 that I found.

The highest age (without a private profile, most have private profiles) is 61. There is one other woman in this thread who is clearly in her 70s according to her posts, but has a private profile as well.

We're not talking about young active people by and large who are saying that lower calories worked for them and to lay off them. For a petite older woman who is not particularly active, it may be right for them. I'm not advocating that everyone does that, but that for some people its fine, and that 1200 is not a very low calorie diet if it is monitored and has all the macronutrients covered.

Just to clarify, in case you were talking about me, I'm not 39, but I'm far from 70. I am short and petite. But about 20 years ago, when I was much more active and at a spa I lost weight on a 1400 calorie a day diet. I wasn't looking to lose weight and didn't need to at 93 pounds but it was so easy. All I had to do was select from the lower calorie menu. I think the upper level was1750. I had a metabolism test and I'm sure my results were average or above average. This was a gorgeous spa with activities scheduled all day and I was quite active - - much more than usual. I lost weight.

I tried MFP's recommendation of 1200 on the easy plan and it was too high. I didn't lose weight, so I had to change the max to 1150. Fitbit, not that I follow it, recommendations anywhere from 950 to 1400, depending on my activity level.

I suffered a temporarily crippling ankle injury last year and joined this site to keep track of my weight. I think can put stress on my ankle now. I probably will be able to eat more in time.

As usual, my guide will my experience. Frankly, I'm not surprised that many people here are not reaching their goals. Not with the dogmatic statements I encounter here every day.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    zach-galifianakis-dancing-with-pug.gif
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

The highest age (without a private profile, most have private profiles) is 61. There is one other woman in this thread who is clearly in her 70s according to her posts, but has a private profile as well.

We're not talking about young active people by and large who are saying that lower calories worked for them and to lay off them. For a petite older woman who is not particularly active, it may be right for them. I'm not advocating that everyone does that, but that for some people its fine, and that 1200 is not a very low calorie diet if it is monitored and has all the macronutrients covered.

Just to clarify, in case you were talking about me, I'm not 39, but I'm far from 70. I am short and petite. But about 20 years ago, when I was much more active and at a spa I lost weight on a 1400 calorie a day diet. I wasn't looking to lose weight and didn't need to at 93 pounds but it was so easy. All I had to do was select from the lower calorie menu. I think the upper level was1750. I had a metabolism test and I'm sure my results were average or above average. This was a gorgeous spa with activities scheduled all day and I was quite active - - much more than usual. I lost weight.

I tried MFP's recommendation of 1200 on the easy plan and it was too high. I didn't lose weight, so I had to change the max to 1150. Fitbit, not that I follow it, recommendations anywhere from 950 to 1400, depending on my activity level.

I suffered a temporarily crippling ankle injury last year and joined this site to keep track of my weight. I think can put stress on my ankle now. I probably will be able to eat more in time.

As usual, my guide will my experience. Frankly, I'm not surprised that many people here are not reaching their goals. Not with the dogmatic statements I encounter here every day.

Apologies for the typos. No time to fix.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot of studies. Not one of them has suggested that calorie restriction to 1000-1200 calories per day with a fat surplus and resistance training has any long term health consequences.

I have repeatedly asked people to post studies that show that this is true. Not one single person has.

Of course, if I experience negative effects of a low calorie diet, I would change my stance and up my calories. If someone posted a few relevant studies, I would reconsider my position. Until then, a group of people saying that things are true on the internet will not have any sway over how I live my life or get to my goal body composition. Especially in light of all positive feedback I have gotten in the form of DEXA scans, blood work, and feedback from my doctor. Oh, and my doctor is not investing in anything by telling me that something is good for my health when it isn't. I have free medical care for life through the VA and my doc is on salary.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I seem to have lost my placeholder. Can someone point me to the page where the pro-1200 people blew the OP's argument out of the water by posting their bikini pics?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919346-still-think-your-1200-or-less-diet-is-a-good-idea?page=10

The user about halfway down, dawnmd74

It isn't a bikini but that is quite an amazing physique.
  • Hannahmave
    Options
    Suicide isn't for everyone either and educated people wouldn't encourage its use to the masses. Educating people on health, who don't know any better, is the right thing to do even if the ignorant defenders of wrong disagree.

Nor is aggression, or assuming that all 1200 calorie uses are "ignorant" and name calling. Surely the larger of us get called names enough in real life. Also if you consider this to be "ill education" then wait until someone asks for help. People only want to change for themselves not for others, also this type of post and "mob mentality" is certainly not going to feel like you're "helping us". It feels like bullying

All the best
    Han x

It is an analogy as is promoting "jumping off a bridge". It's not right for the MAJORITY of people and ignorant is not name calling in my book of definitions. It is a lack of knowledge on a specific topic that can lead people to pursue a dangerous path. Chronic restricting is a controlling/coping mechanism that is one of the many factors that can lead to disordered eating and health problems. PERIOD. There are better and healthier ways. If you think your body is a special exception to nature then treat it specially and get your metabolism tested.

Absolutely, i agree 1200 is not for everyone, however my personal reasons are for a medical condition I have called pcos and i'm very short, which is why i'm on this diet. My qualms of this thread is the lack of encouragement and support for those of us who do need to be on this deficit. Also my argument is that this thread has come off as aggressive and it certainly is not going to help people make a decision due that tone or the previous post who made fun of people on this calorie goal.

Han x
  • Sunny____
    Sunny____ Posts: 214
    Options
    I just really don't understand what is wrong with 1200 calories a day. If you are 5'1 and a female and weigh 120 then 1200 is perfect even with workouts. If you are eating correctly then you can eat more food than most ppl bc there is very little calories in veggies and fruits. A whole head of cauliflower is something like under 60 calories.

If you are a man 6'4 and play basketball 5 nights a week then 1200 is not good for you.

This thread is assuming that EVERYONE is the same body type, body weight and has the same goals. If you want to lose then you make a deficit and if 1200 calories is what calculates to work for you then that is what works for you.

I wanted to lose weight for a trip to Jamaica so I ate 1,000 to 1100 a day and lost 20 lbs. I worked out daily.

last night half of you here were arguing that it is about calories in and calories out in the "is bread fattening thread". What happened to that theory? If you aren't burning, you need to cut what you eat and reduce calories.

More so though it is about WHAT you eat vs how much. So many do not understand that concept though. So many mislead people.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Great post!
    Bump!
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Just to add my two pence, I didn't start loosing weight until I started eating 1800! Twice what I ate before! Eat to loose :D
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

no no, it was the woman who called for the bikini pictures who said she was much older.

Your story is moving... I'm sorry about your ankle. I am glad you are making progress. And yes, I agree with you about the dogmatism of many users here.

Cooking is calling me now, so no more MFP for a while... and yes, while I do not need to eat a diet at 1200 calories or less, I am aware that some people actually do need to have it set lower for various reasons, be it height/age or injuries/other medical conditions. I'm not a doctor and you and your physician know your situation much better than I could.
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot of studies. Not one of them has suggested that calorie restriction to 1000-1200 calories per day with a fat surplus and resistance training has any long term health consequences.

I have repeatedly asked people to post studies that show that this is true. Not one single person has.

Of course, if I experience negative effects of a low calorie diet, I would change my stance and up my calories. If someone posted a few relevant studies, I would reconsider my position. Until then, a group of people saying that things are true on the internet will not have any sway over how I live my life or get to my goal body composition. Especially in light of all positive feedback I have gotten in the form of DEXA scans, blood work, and feedback from my doctor. Oh, and my doctor is not investing in anything by telling me that something is good for my health when it isn't. I have free medical care for life through the VA and my doc is on salary.

Well put.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I just really don't understand what is wrong with 1200 calories a day. If you are 5'1 and a female and weigh 120 then 1200 is perfect even with workouts. If you are eating correctly then you can eat more food than most ppl bc there is very little calories in veggies and fruits. A whole head of cauliflower is something like under 60 calories.

If you are a man 6'4 and play basketball 5 nights a week then 1200 is not good for you.

This thread is assuming that EVERYONE is the same body type, body weight and has the same goals. If you want to lose then you make a deficit and if 1200 calories is what calculates to work for you then that is what works for you.

I wanted to lose weight for a trip to Jamaica so I ate 1,000 to 1100 a day and lost 20 lbs. I worked out daily.

last night half of you here were arguing that it is about calories in and calories out in the "is bread fattening thread". What happened to that theory? If you aren't burning, you need to cut what you eat and reduce calories.

More so though it is about WHAT you eat vs how much. So many do not understand that concept though. So many mislead people.

I'm shorter and lighter than you mentioned--eating 2000 (minimum) and certain that I'd die on 1200 calories given my activity level. If you're working out effectively then it is absolutely false that "If you are 5'1 and a female and weigh 120 then 1200 is perfect even with workouts." Perfect? For what goal exactly? To lose all of your muscle mass? Develop an eating disorder? Become a binge eater? Lose your periods? What would be the ultimate outcome of this 120 pound 5'1 female eating 1200 calories while working out?
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Very good point Taso, not just the op also the bit about people on 1200 calorie diets thriving, not just losing weight for a while. I'm totally linking this as I still have a couple of sweet friends who are doing this to themselves...