Replies

• timeforme_2013
    timeforme_2013 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • kazitykaz
    kazitykaz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This week I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400. That's the amount that I ate and I did not eat my exercise calories back. There was also one day where I ate nearly 3,000 calories, I did extra exercise to try and burn as much of it as I could . This week I lost 3lb and is the biggest weight loss I've had so far. Upping the calories definitely worked for me.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I've lost a few pounds since upping calories from 1650 to 1850. I run about three times a week very slowly:). I am 45 and not that active. I am confident that upping my calories will work for me. I am worried about losing my muscles because I am quite sedentaey and upping my calories helps me feel like I'm doing something ( besides lifting) that is helpful.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Depends what calories you're eating now and what your TDEE is. Upping your calorie won't work if you're already at or above TDEE!
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    fb-cover.jpg
    I love how your smile gets bigger in each photo!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I'm not sure how "clean eating" qualifies as common-sense-defying, but I don't think ANYONE eats "clean" 100% of the time. I would consider myself a "clean eater", but I still eat things like french fries and candy occasionally. I just choose to fuel my body with foods it can actually use rather than crap that it just literally craps out without using or that, worse yet, causes inflammation.

^ This! I agree that very few people eat 100% clean all of the time myself included, but I never understand the "mocking" (or I guess maybe "challenging" is a better word) of clean eating that goes on around here. To me it's about more than just weight loss. It's about the optimal performance and health of my body. I choose not to fuel it with crap, chemicals, salt and hydrogenated oils - how is that defying common sense?! Sounds pretty sensical to me. To each their own though I guess. Most people who choose to eat clean do so because those are the things they enjoy eating, so to those who enjoy eating pizza and cheeseburgers and who are happy with their progress, more power to ya!

But back to the topica at hand: I never started out on MFP at a 1200 calorie goal. I started at 1500 and have worked my way up to 1700. By eating this much I have lost 24 pounds since mid-October and I'm pretty pleased with that, because I really didn't have all that much to lose in the first place (just 30 pounds). To me, upping my calories wasn't really about busting through platueas but it just seemed like a natural progression as I make my way towards my goal weight to start eating more. Easing myself onto maintenance I guess. Everyone has to play around and figure out what works for their own bodies. Personally, I feel like I would faint if I restricted myself to 1200 calories per day; however, some people have had lots of success that way. But I'm happy having success by eating more!

:smile:

The attitude goes both ways obviously
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have never actually eaten low calories and have never had an average deficit of more than about 500 cals a day.

I hit goal weight a couple of weeks ago - my results are here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics?
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    My story so far:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919294-photo-result-of-2-months-of-bulking

I wasn't trying to lose weight, I was actually trying to gain muscle-weight to achieve better muscle tone and look less "skinny-fat" (flabby slim person). I originally was on a diet of 1500-1700 cal per day, then upped it to 2000 a day, and then when I started heavy weight-lifting, upped it to 2200-2400. I gained 11lbs but I am very satisfied with the results so far. I thought I would look huge at 148lbs but because the weight I gained was mainly muscle, I look better than when I was lighter! My body used to look terrible with flash photography (Every dimple & roll) but now I have barely any of that in my picture!

I plan to diet a bit after my bulking process since you do gain a bit of fat when you bulk, but bigger muscles will burn it up in no time. And once I'm satisfied, I'm going to stay at 2000 calories for maintenance.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I've always upped my calories when I've noticed that I stop losing. I started that last year when I hadn't lost any weight for 6 months and finally started losing again. I believe I started in May or something like that, and I lost 23 lbs that year and then my calories started to creep back down once I gained from Thanksgiving and Christmas (doesn't help that my birthday is in the same time period, so that was a lot of "cheat" days all in one span of time).

I got to the point where I let my calories fall to 1600, which is below my BMR and I was hungry all the freaking time! So, I decided a few days ago to calculate my TDEE and subtract 20% and I can now eat 1900-2000 calories a day. Along with that, I upped my protein intake so it is now 1g/lb LBM and I'm eating 124g, which isn't as difficult as I would have thought.

As for working out, I do very little cardio. I walk to class Monday-Friday and I will get on the Elliptical occasionally but I mostly do heavy lifting.

ETA: Just updated my photo so it shows me at 220 lbs and 189lbs. When I was still at 220, I ate anywhere from 800-1200 calories and just did cardio (don't wanna get bulky! *eyeroll*) Now I'm eating enough to fuel my body and lifting like a beast!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I recently upped the system to only lose a 1/2 pound per week as I was feeling unusually hungry - I've been doing cardio and also weights - well, it started to drop off again as I'd plateaued. I'm hoping that means I found the right point. I eat a tiny bit more - not too much but enough. It seems my drop point was about 1400 calories when I'm just walking (or a tiny bit less). It depends on my exercise...some days I eat 1600 to 1800 if I'm doing heavier exercising.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    About 8 weeks ago I upped my calories to just shy of 1800 a day. It didnt see a weightloss at all for about 5 weeks. I just sorta fluxuated between a pound or two. I was worried I had made a time consuming mistake. That was 6 weeks I could have lost a few more pounds in. But I would have been soooo hungry and irritable all the time. That's how I was before upping my calories.

Now I am completely satisfied and I have dropped 4 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I work out 5 days a week for a hour max. I eat my 1800 calories and usually 50-70% of my exercise calories back. Sometimes I even go way over (about once a week) and yet I still am dropping the average of a pound a week.

I have dieted in the past on restricted a lories and while I would lose a ton, I would eventually gain it back cause 1200-1300 calories a day was not sustainable to me and it caused havoc on my matabalism and mind.

Upping my calories has solved all those problems!
  • piggybunny89
    piggybunny89 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I was a classic 1200 cal a day gal for a year. Got nowhere with that - actually gained weight. I began researching eating more to lose weight and upped my calories to BMR (1380) plus 100 plus all exercise calories. I tried that for a few weeks with some success, then switched to TDEE (2050) minus 17% which really seems to work for me. I'm consistently losing small amounts every week!! YAY for eating more!!
  • RieBerg
    RieBerg Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump, I am too scared to do it.
  • squall88c
    squall88c Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump, I am too scared to do it.

Don't be.
    Better start now than later.
  • PeaceKitten
    Options
    Started at 300 pounds, down to 235 (started working out in mid-July of 2012). Eating for your body does help. :) It has for me.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    <
  • Mommypeanut
    Options
    Bump
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat clean, you're body needs more calories. 1800 calories of processed low fat foods, cheeseburgers, and sugar is different than 1800 calories of fruits, veggies, and lean protein as far as fuel for your body.

You got that right...feel like I don't stop eating all day

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I always challenge the so-called "clean eaters" to peruse my diary. Clean eating is fine if you enjoy living by common-sense-defying strict rules and such. But I prefer to eat what I enjoy and watch my macros.

I challenge you to read mine.

Everything made from scratch - 90% organic. Varied and balanced diet, never go hungry.

No artificial ingredients or added refined sugar.

I don't live on rabbit food.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!