How to be comfortable with my butt when I run?

Options
So I do have a booty and I feel like it eats anything that goes near it. I try to wear longer shirts to cover it so I can run without being all self conscious. I just hate it because im constantly pulling down my shirt and I feel like it keeps me from preforming my best. Im sure a lot of women have this problem but I just was wondering if their are any helpful tips on how to co exist with my butt for time being while I try to lose it. :( I try not to run in front of others because I think they will laugh at me for looking really flabby.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe try focusing on other things like your breathing, your pace, your feet strikes, keeping your core tight, keeping your shoulders down and back, etc

IMO if you're thinking too much much about how you look then you're not present enough in the moment of what you're doing
  • KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think you should own your butt!! Im self conscious about my stomach when I run, but you know what? The people also running/exercising will applaud you for being awesome, and anyone who judges you should try running instead of watching people do it.
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Just don't worry about it. Nobody running hard doesn't have something jiggling a little. Enjoy your run.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes, people will look at you as you run by. Do you want to know what they're thinking? Non-runners are thinking, "hmm, I should be doing that" and runner will think "you go girl! Good job! Keep up the hard work"

Don't be self conscious! Just get out there and do it! For YOU!
  • haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm with the "try not to worry about it" group.

But(t...) ...

Unless it is super hot, I wear compression running capris when I run. I usually wear them under a running skirt or shorts. I wear them for the compression (because it helps me with muscle soreness and a bad knee, not for fat compression purposes!!) , but feel uncomfortable wearing them alone with just a top. I would think that doing something like that may make your butt less likely to eat your clothes? (It may eat the compression pants but then you'd have the running skirt over that, or whatever.)

Like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/nike-ladies-run-skapri-tights-aw12/
    for example
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I gotta say, just go out there and run. Other runners are not paying attention to you, other than to say hi when passing.

Some douche will always yell something at you, no matter what you look like. Its not worth more than an eyeroll.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    duct tape.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    My butt look like jello when I run, I'm sure. I just crank up the headphones so I can't hear the snickering.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Why do you care? I never see MY butt when I run. . . . so it's other people's problem. . . .not mine!
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    Yes, people will look at you as you run by. Do you want to know what they're thinking? Non-runners are thinking, "hmm, I should be doing that" and runner will think "you go girl! Good job! Keep up the hard work"

quoted for truth
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Just run and do your thing. If anyone is looking it is because they want to.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Why do you care? I never see MY butt when I run. . . . so it's other people's problem. . . .not mine!

I was about to say something to this affect.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options

haha this! Plus I'm usually more focused on NOT falling off the treadmill than worrying someone finds my butt flabby when I'm running.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

^^^ This.

I've always had a butt no matter what size I was/ am. The only time my butt bothered me is when I was on the treadmill - elliptical or anywhere else I didn't mind so much. I really wish I could run... If I could I probably wouldn't really care what I looked like much, I'd just be glad that I was healthy enough to actually run. Maybe that's something you can think about too. Don't think about your butt - think about how great it is you are actually running & there are people out there that wish they could. <3
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Two pairs of compression shorts. It's hard to push yourself if you feel self-conscious. Look for tunic length T shirts.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

There's a quote about how if we really know how much people don't think about us, we'd be offended.

If it really bothers you, why not try some compression shorts.

Remember, there is probably always someone bigger then you trying to do the same thing. I was 300 pounds when I first started at the path at the park, struggling to run from bench to bench so go out and get it girl!
  • HonoriaLucasta
    HonoriaLucasta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things that everyone worries about before they start and then totally forgets that they ever worried about once they've gotten going running, IMO. I can PROMISE you that no runner is going to be paying any negative attention to you; half of them will be thinking "great job!" and the other half will be too focused on their own workout to notice. (Runners in my experience tend to be generally friendly.) You MIGHT get the random skeeze yelling from a car if you run next to a crowded street, but most women get those regardless of butt size; it's a rite of passage. :)
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Duc Tape :) kidding.

compression shorts would be the best i think....
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Just run and do your thing. If anyone is looking it is because they want to.

Maybe in your world. In mine, there are plenty of vicious people.
    The OP is concerned about feeling vulnerable. I don't think that's nuts. Protecting oneself is not capitulation.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Run in the dark.

Run on a treadmill.

Run during the zombie apocalypse, no one will be looking at your butt.