How to be comfortable with my butt when I run?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Run in the dark.

Run on a treadmill.

Run during the zombie apocalypse, no one will be looking at your butt.

Or they will, and it'll be because they want to eat it. But they could be doing that now, too.

OP, I count while I run; I set a timer for a set amount to run, but alternate speeds, so I keep track in my head. It keeps me focused on that and not on anything else--highly meditative.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My sister and I are training partners and we are always SO excited when we see people of ANY age, size and shape running! I think most runners appreciate other runners making an effort, regardless of their fitness level. You should be proud.

The only time where I could see people mocking and being jerks about it would be if you were running on the street and a car with a bunch of *kitten* who are too lazy to run started judging and making comments. I've never been a fan of running around the general public. Even if you look good, there's always some jerk cat-calling or whatever. For the most part, though, I think people are impressed. And if somebody's gonna have a nasty thought about your *kitten*, they were probably gonna have it whether you were running or not, so you might as well run, right?

I run in parks or on trails in the hills, where the only other people around are like-minded individuals hiking, running, bird-watching. It also helps to run with a buddy. There's a feeling of strength and solidarity when you're part of a team. Even if you run alone, just remember that for every jerk who is hating on your *kitten*, there are 10 others who are thinking you're a badass for making the effort. So get out there and run! :flowerforyou:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Yes, people will look at you as you run by. Do you want to know what they're thinking? Non-runners are thinking, "hmm, I should be doing that" and runner will think "you go girl! Good job! Keep up the hard work"

Don't be self conscious! Just get out there and do it! For YOU!
    Unfortunately, some people may scream out their opinions. That's happened to me. The fact that they're *kitten* or out of shape themselves was not a comfort. No one likes to be attacked verbally when she's alone and vulnerable.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You could wear sweats
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, people will look at you as you run by. Do you want to know what they're thinking? Non-runners are thinking, "hmm, I should be doing that" and runner will think "you go girl! Good job! Keep up the hard work"

Unfortunately, some people may scream out their opinions. That's happened to me. The fact that they're *kitten* or out of shape themselves was not a comfort. No one likes to be attacked verbally when she's alone and vulnerable.

This is your third comment in this thread defending vulnerability rather than trying to combat it. Conquering self-consciousness comes from an inner strength that therapy, behavioral techniques, meditation, fitness (surprise, surprise!) all help conquer. A longer shirt isn't as powerful a shield against the possible external menaces, or the worst imagine internal ones, as is facing those insecurities and owning them.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Umm, get a bigger/longer shirt?
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Meh... it's running. Focus on what's ahead of you, not what's behind. :wink:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just wear fitted shirts that you can't pull down over your butt. Sounds terrifying, but the less fidgeting the better. Like others said focus on other things. Two years ago I was needing to lose 55 pounds, same as you, I got out there and ran and just hoped I wouldn't die! Here's more of my story. We all have hangups, don't let them derail you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/918358-they-cut-my-head-open-your-excuse-is-invalid
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options

This is your third comment in this thread defending vulnerability rather than trying to combat it. Conquering self-consciousness comes from an inner strength that therapy, behavioral techniques, meditation, fitness (surprise, surprise!) all help conquer. A longer shirt isn't as powerful a shield against the possible external menaces, or the worst imagine internal ones, as is facing those insecurities and owning them.

Generally I'd agree and say don't make it your problem BUT if you are running alone and people do actually yell at you in a way that is making you feel unsafe I'd say it is a legitimate problems. In that case I'd say run in more crowded places where you at least won't have any safety worries.

If it's just that you're worried about what people would say remember that chances are they're not noticing you at all most of the time. And a decent chunk of those who are noticing you will just be thinking how awesome you are for getting out there and moving. The rest aren't worth worrying about.

Or you could just invest in some speakers, hook up your music and blast a little MC Hammer at them all "I like big butts and I can not lie..."
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

To mfpcopine - Yeah...I'm glad someone pointed that out. People are trying to get her to get past her self-image issues, and you are just feeding them with your negative tone. You remind me of Marvin, to be honest..lol.

OP - just run and focus on running and the more positive side of things, like that fact that you are out there getting fit! Eventually, the more you do this, you'll realize your self-conscious fears will begin to fade.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I was very self-conscious about running, because I know I have a weird/inept stride (not quite Phoebe from Friends, but sort of) and because I started off so out of shape that I could barely do 30 second intervals (I did a Couch-to-5K app). I found out that what others on this thread are saying is true. Runners are really friendly, I get plenty of waves and smiles and I am always so thrilled when I'm done.

By the way, I'm on the last week of the program, and I no longer tell people I'll only run if there's someone chasing me.

Thanks for the Phoebe reference! I had totally forgotten about that – hilarious!

I see the after-race pictures of myself and I run like a duck with my toes out. Is it bad form and something I should work on? Sure. But, hey... I started and FINISHED a race. I got nothing but love for my funny feet.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Generally I'd agree and say don't make it your problem BUT if you are running alone and people do actually yell at you in a way that is making you feel unsafe I'd say it is a legitimate problems. In that case I'd say run in more crowded places where you at least won't have any safety worries.

If it's just that you're worried about what people would say remember that chances are they're not noticing you at all most of the time. And a decent chunk of those who are noticing you will just be thinking how awesome you are for getting out there and moving. The rest aren't worth worrying about.

Or you could just invest in some speakers, hook up your music and blast a little MC Hammer at them all "I like big butts and I can not lie..."

If the OP had said anything about feeling like she's in danger, or that was what the thread was about, I may agree, but that has nothing to do with this particular post.

She's feeling self conscious, not in danger. We want her to embrace her inner awesome and tell everyone else to suck it because she's kick @ss for doing the steps to get fit.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    If I could run right now, I wouldn't care if I had an arm sticking out of my face. I'd be off like the wind.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

first of all, the big butt song is by sir mixalot.

second, i do agree with most of what you're saying, but it's important to note that people's comments arent necessarily the same thing as being in legitimate danger. most studies on attacks and interviews with witnesses will show that most guys who are going to attack and grope you are not going to warn you ahead of time.

i have tig ole bitties and have been groped more often than i'd like to admit and ime the guys who are doing weren't the ones who first go "damn girl you got some tig ole bitties" and then went in for the grope.

to the OP, my suggestion was to focus on the movements. i've always had large boobs, always been somewhat self conscious of it, but i was also an athlete and doing the athletic work was the only time i wasnt self conscious about how my body or what my boobs were doing because i was too busy being focused on doing what needs to be done. in fact during 1 soccer game one of the straps of my sports bra broke and i had to finish off a run essentially holding 1 JJ sized boob in one hand. honeybadger didnt care, either. but if that would have happened off the field without the context of athleticism then i surely would have convinved my parents to transfer me to a new school :laugh:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I think you meant the great SIR MIX A LOT
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Another vote for: Don't give a damn, just run.

Also, it's Sir Mixalot if you want to bump "Baby Got Back ..." Get yo' 80s rappers straight. Girl, we got it goin' like a turbo 'Vette.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    That's right, Dopeitup and Meshashesha. Great minds ...
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I dont know what theyre called but they have them on as seen on tv. U wear them around your waste n but they look like a shirt.. ( they cover plumbers crack) maybe try that!!! But hey dont care of wheat others think your doin this for u if ppl have a problem they dont have to look! Thats what i FINNALY learnt!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I wear some kind of compression shorts, with longer running shorts over those. That's more to keep my running shorts from riding up... I've got a butt, but could care less what other people think of it.