Am I the one who gets hungrier after diet coke?

Options
124»

Replies

• quackers82
    quackers82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet drinks few years ago, never really taste as good and they do seem to make me staving about an hour after.

There is only about 140 calories in a can of coke, so if your going to have coke have the real thing and enjoy it. If you think you need diet coke sounds more like there is too much soda in your diet, its supoose to be a treat item not an everyday drinks. I have 1 or 2 cans a week and thats it, rest is normally water or a coffee/tea.

All this diet/low fat crap in the shops is what i think is part of the obese problem they leave you feeling unsatisified and craving more and in turn consuming more energy than you would if you had just had the normal product to start with.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i can have a diet soda AS a meal in the right mood. i tend not to, because i don't get to calories that way, but thanks to a history of a self-starve ED I equate a 'full' belly with being adequately fed and am having to retrain myself
  • FLCullen
    FLCullen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have much love for Diet Coke (Me + DC 4eva), but I gave it up for Lent 3 weeks ago, and I am eating less. I used to have a can at 11am because I thought it made me less hungry, but I guess somewhere along the way this wasn't true. I think I will reintroduce it after Easter, but maybe just a glass with a meal here and there, and in place of alcohol when I go out (because I'm eating less, but drinking more wine).
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I drink 4 or 5 Diet Dr.Peppers a day. I'm actually always full and have to make myself eat sometimes. I rarely eat sweets either and I don't get sugar cravings. Could be my low carb diet that helps with that too.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    If you do some research on diet sodas (Google is your friend), you will find that there are plenty of studies out there linking diet soda with obesity. The science is showing that when you drink artificial sweeteners, it actually makes your body crave sweet foods more. Thus, you will eat more.
    Except in the studies where diet soda consumption was shown to help obese people lose weight.....funny how that works.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I think the people who are posting about the psychological part of this have it right.

WARNING: ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE FORTHCOMING. COMPLETE LACK OF SCIENCE IMMINENT.

Ever since I've been put on a certain medication recently, my craving for soda of any type has gone down immensely. I've gone from drinking one or two bottles a day, to opening a bottle and taking a drink here and there, and 1 bottle lasting me all week.

However, I splurged today and had some Taco Bell (had to try the new Dorito tacos with the cool ranch shells -- delish, BTW). And you know what I craved immediately after I was finished eating this? A diet Mountain Dew.

Not coincidentally, I also used to drink Diet Dew every time I went out to eat before I started monitoring my food intake.

Correlation =/= causation, but as I mentioned before, I think people who posted before are on to something. I don't think that the chemical or physical make up drives hunger, I think your old habits and the things you associate with the drink in question drive the hunger.

Of course, nothing can account for personality traits exhibited by the soda in question. That ash-hole Diet Dr. Pepper shot my brother. So maybe Aspartame does kill.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have noticed no difference. I don't drink it as much just because if I have iced tea or water I'm very likely to drink it all but I end up with a lot of half empty pop cans I have to dump out. I don't like wasting money so I just don't buy/drink it as often.
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I usually find drinks like Diet Coke, Pepsi Max and 7Up Free quench my hunger.
    Instead of eating I'll have a can of Pespi Max or something - it takes longer to consume so it stops me eating too.

I find low-calorie soft drinks a great help actually