Three Strikes and I'm Out

Options
13»

Replies

• SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Take it easy, deep breaths...

Start small. For right now just track your food. You don't need to restock your 'fridge with spinach and join the gym and buy workout clothes... just log what you eat. Good or bad. See just what it is you're doing to yourself on a regular basis.

After that you'll be armed with the knowledge of what you've been doing to your body, that alone can inspire you to make the change for good, and the right way.

So keep it simple, just log. Think you can manage that for now?

I LOVE this advice.

I think half the problem some of us have is making this an ALL or NONE thing. You don't have to be perfect! You dont have to have such high expectations of yourself that it makes you freak out and quit.

One day, one choice at a time.

If you mess up, OH WELL. It will be ok.

I gotta say that BOTH of these people know what they are talking about.

One day at a time...it's not always easy, but it is worth it.
    Good luck!
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    you need to ask yourself just ONE question
    say to yourself
    am I worth it
    and answer it honestly - of course you are so make small changes and it will come plan for just 0.5lb a week loss any more is fantastic
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    One part of your own message really should motivate you. You said if you had stuck with it you'd be at your goal right now. So...how happy will you be a year from now when you have to repeat that phrase? Start today so you can say you've made it next time around. You can't get there if you don't start...so get to it!
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    You can't go all in on this on day one.

I always suggest newbies don't weigh for a month when they start out. It's easy to get discouraged and not continue if you don't see massive changes on the scale.

Thanks for the weight advice. My hubby prefers to weigh every day, but there are always ups and downs in weight from day to day. I always weighed once a week, never daily. If I can't wait till the month's over to weight myself, I'll try weighing in 2 weeks. The scale will no rule me -- haha!

I didn't gain weight in 1 day, I won't lose it in 1 day. Great advice!
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    You have to schedule time for your workout and make it non-negotiable like anything else that is important in your life. :flowerforyou:

Yes, I have good intentions and have signed up for an exercise group, but, you're right, the thing that's missing is I need to schedule my workouts. Maybe I'll put it on my phone calendar and set a reminder.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I know it's an excuse, but life had been pretty hectic for me, as a family member was in the hospital for 7 weeks. Thank God she's better now! I think that gave me an excuse to go sabotage my health. I know...one day at a time. I can do this -- I just lost track. I also need to remember it's a lifestyle change.

This might sound a little harsh (call it tough love) but you're right, it is an excuse. We all have struggles in life and sometimes they derail us a bit. I used to use every opportunity to let those struggles become excuses, especially if they were someone else's struggle so I could use coddling them as an excuse (I had to order a pizza, it's Hubs favorite and he's sad right now). There are ALWAYS alternatives, you just have to put a little thought into it. And that's what I think you should do now so that you're prepared for the next inevitable struggle that comes up. Planning and preparing our two of our most valuable tools!

Above all, keep reading that profile pic of yours. NEVER give up!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    *snip*..., but life gets in the way sometimes ...*snip*

I will freely admit, I haven't read all the responses, and I may be repeating someone else, but when I first skimmed your original post, the quoted text leapt out at me. Your perspective may be helping to defeat you. If you tell yourself that life gets in the way of your weight loss routine, you are looking at it as if your weight loss goals are something seperate from your life. If you want to be successful, you need to make your workout, and diet routines a part of your life, not something outside of it.

That being said, the next thing you should probably look at is your goal setting process. Are your goals written down? Are they SMART goals? Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely? Have you set too ambitious an agenda for yourself, and want to lose too much too quickly? You called your weght loss process a journey. Are you making sure you enjoy the journey along the way? Make it fun and you are more likely to stick with it.

Make it reasonable. Break your goal into smaller chunks. Much like the old adage of "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." most definitely applies to weight loss. If you are trying to drop 100 pounds, don't rush it and try to get there in 1 year. Yes it is possible, but maybe it is too much for you in that time frame. Break your big goal into smaller milestone goals. When I started, I saw the need to drop 100-125 pounds. If I would have gone into my lifestyle change with the idea, I was going to lose all of that immediately, I would have set myself up for disappointment and failure. So, I made myself little 10% goals. I was 280, so I told myself, I was going to concentrate on losing 28 pounds to start with. I set myself a goal of losing that in 6 months. When I hit my goal early, I said OK. I'm 250 now, I need to lose 25 more pounds. I still have a way to go to get to my end goal, but I can manage it in small chunks.

Finally, too be succesful and remain successful, you should realize that this is a lifelong lifestyle change. Change does not come easy for the human species. It is imperative that you change slowly, and don't try to do everything at once. It is different for everyone. For me, I failed every other time because of diet. Exercise was easy for me. This time around, I decided I would make sur eI ahd the diet down before I started the exercise regime. I changed my diet gradually, reducing where I needed, and increasing where I needed. After reaching my initial micro goal by diet change alone, I had it down to a habit. That is when I gradually added exercise back into my routine. You don't have to follow my formula, but tailor your change plan for you. Just work one thing at a time and master it before you add the next step in.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    *snip*..., but life gets in the way sometimes ...*snip*

I will freely admit, I haven't read all the responses, and I may be repeating someone else, but when I first skimmed your original post, the quoted text leapt out at me. Your perspective may be helping to defeat you. If you tell yourself that life gets in the way of your weight loss routine, you are looking at it as if your weight loss goals are something seperate from your life. If you want to be successful, you need to make your workout, and diet routines a part of your life, not something outside of it.

That being said, the next thing you should probably look at is your goal setting process. Are your goals written down? Are they SMART goals? Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely? Have you set too ambitious an agenda for yourself, and want to lose too much too quickly? You called your weght loss process a journey. Are you making sure you enjoy the journey along the way? Make it fun and you are more likely to stick with it.

Make it reasonable. Break your goal into smaller chunks. Much like the old adage of "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." most definitely applies to weight loss. If you are trying to drop 100 pounds, don't rush it and try to get there in 1 year. Yes it is possible, but maybe it is too much for you in that time frame. Break your big goal into smaller milestone goals. When I started, I saw the need to drop 100-125 pounds. If I would have gone into my lifestyle change with the idea, I was going to lose all of that immediately, I would have set myself up for disappointment and failure. So, I made myself little 10% goals. I was 280, so I told myself, I was going to concentrate on losing 28 pounds to start with. I set myself a goal of losing that in 6 months. When I hit my goal early, I said OK. I'm 250 now, I need to lose 25 more pounds. I still have a way to go to get to my end goal, but I can manage it in small chunks.

Finally, too be succesful and remain successful, you should realize that this is a lifelong lifestyle change. Change does not come easy for the human species. It is imperative that you change slowly, and don't try to do everything at once. It is different for everyone. For me, I failed every other time because of diet. Exercise was easy for me. This time around, I decided I would make sur eI ahd the diet down before I started the exercise regime. I changed my diet gradually, reducing where I needed, and increasing where I needed. After reaching my initial micro goal by diet change alone, I had it down to a habit. That is when I gradually added exercise back into my routine. You don't have to follow my formula, but tailor your change plan for you. Just work one thing at a time and master it before you add the next step in.

This is excellent!!
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    OK this may be a little rough but get over it! Put a real picture up so you can see your progress....get your exercise in and that like someone said before me, this is non negotiable....you say you have a wonderful husband then get his *kitten* to help you! Want more? Add some of us as friends and watch us fail every now and then! As one person told me this is not a diet this is a life change so change it! (Oh BTW I learned all this from MFP friends!)

Add me if you want but read my disclaimer.....this is real life not a cartoon!

Marcello

I couldn't agree more! I did that first when I decided that I was going to do something...I put up my horrible, awful picture so that I could make myself accountable to everyone! It put me on the right track and now I have a side by side in my pics after losing half of what I wanted to lose. Marcello is right, you have to keep it real or it won't work!
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Don't allow the past to bury you today. Focus on today tomorrow has it's own worries and yesterday is too late. I have been on and off this site for a bit. I even made it where I deleted all mfpers on my page. You have to do what works for you and not beat yourself up. Beating yourself up doesn't burn any calories and you are walking around like a teddy bear that a dog has gotten a hold of. Don't let anything stand in your way to what you want.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Take it easy, deep breaths...

Start small. For right now just track your food. You don't need to restock your 'fridge with spinach and join the gym and buy workout clothes... just log what you eat. Good or bad. See just what it is you're doing to yourself on a regular basis.

After that you'll be armed with the knowledge of what you've been doing to your body, that alone can inspire you to make the change for good, and the right way.

So keep it simple, just log. Think you can manage that for now?
    Agreed.
    Make small changes to live healthier. Don't make it so hard on yourself, don't be so hard on yourself. Don't look for a short-blast fix-it program, instead create a sustainable lifestyle.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    We all struggle. I would suggest not allowing a cheat meal until you have stuck to at least 21 days of eating clean and healthy, exercising, and logging it all. Make sure even though you are eating clean and healthy except for one meal a week (once you feel like you can handle that, at least 21 days). You should not be starving yourself, keep in mind eating to little is as bad as eating to much. You are back on here and know what you need to do so just DO IT! I know you can! Make sure to exercise on the day of your cheat meal dont make it a rest day too.

This is a great suggestion!!! Thanks!
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Thank you all SOOO much for these encouraging words! I need to take 1 day at a time (slow and steady wins the race), not skip meals, schedule my exercise, remember it's a lifestyle change, and have fun along the way!! I will refer to this thread often. Thanks again everyone!!!!:happy:
  • cheachea2
    cheachea2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great Poem Lamb Chop Lewis..So glad I seen this post needed the same advice.