Bacon engineered in a lab from Pork stem cells

Options
13»

Replies

• reallifealien
    reallifealien Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Also, whatever PETA's stance is on this has no bearing. As someone who has dedicated her life to animal welfare, PETA is not the end all be all in animal advocacy. I personally stand against most of the things PETA preaches. The head of PETA is a diabetic and takes insulin derived from pigs. They advocate a vegetarian diet for cats which leads to horribly debilitating nutritional deficiencies and death. They secretly euthanize animals. Don't take my word on it, do some research before blindly following some organization's directions.

took the words out of my mouth :)
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love the idea that we have to trust food...like it's trying to sell us a used car.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    thats gross. havent read oryx and crake then? something very similar in that book... :sick:
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    o.O

If I eat bacon, I want it off a living, breathing pig. Not some lab grown crap.

Now I want bacon....
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I prefer that my bacon had a name.
    Also, whatever PETA's stance is on this has no bearing. As someone who has dedicated her life to animal welfare, PETA is not the end all be all in animal advocacy. I personally stand against most of the things PETA preaches. The head of PETA is a diabetic and takes insulin derived from pigs. They advocate a vegetarian diet for cats which leads to horribly debilitating nutritional deficiencies and death. They secretly euthanize animals. Don't take my word on it, do some research before blindly following some organization's directions.
    They killed only 89.4% of adoptable pets last year. That's their lowest kill rate since 2004! http://www.petakillsanimals.com/
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    thats gross. havent read oryx and crake then? something very similar in that book... :sick:
    Ok cool lets make our choices about food based on a fictional novel. :noway:
  • Paganrosemama
    Paganrosemama Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    One point no one brought up Is how much is this lab engineer "meat" going to cost? I highly doubt that it would be cost efficient to lab grow it.

Personally even if It was affordable I wouldn't eat it. I have found bacon yummy, but it makes me ill. I also have an aversion to genetically altered foods. I have been vegetation on an on again off again basis for health reasons. Animals for food is fine as long as they have had a decent life, and are not used wastefully. Cross breeding - okay with good quality of life. Gene spliced GMOs/lab grown- not okay.

PETA= hypocritical freaks

edited for spelling/grammar
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Ok cool lets make our choices about food based on a fictional novel. :noway:
    1. thats not what i said 2. dont you have some 'amusing' troll threads to post? get off my jock, kid.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    While it is interesting it's certainly going to kill a lot of animal farms out there and people who depend on that farming as their income. They're having a hell of a time now as it is.

Know what else is hell? Being the pig.

Yeah, not swaying me away from meat. Sorry.

I wasn't trying to, simply stating an observation.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    From the 1953 book "The Space Merchants":
    He swung open her door. “This is her nest,” he said proudly. I looked and gulped.

It was a great concrete dome, concrete-floored. Chicken Little filled most of it. She was a gray-brown, rubbery hemisphere some fifteen yards in diameter. Dozens of pipes ran into her pulsating flesh. You could see that she was alive.

Herrera said to me: “All day I walk around her. I see a part growing fast, it looks good and tender, I slice.” His two-handed blade screamed again. This time it shaved off an inch-thick Chicken Little steak. (Ch. 9)

Long term I'd expect lab grown meat to be massively less expensive.
    Instead of having to get an animal pregnant, waiting the gestation time, then ensuring the babies survive, are brought up by the mother, then have a fair bit of time roaming wide pastures of land while being given food that has to be grown else where too often, making sure they stay healthy with vet visits, then having to take them to a butcher house and butcher them - instead the amount of time per piece of meat is the time it takes to grow that piece of meat.
    A lot higher return per raw materials, space and time as likely most will be automated I suspect.

I wonder, as the technology develops, if we'll see home-machines. Keeping frozen samples of DNA and if you want some beef next week, hit the button on your android-app and it starts preparing a few tasty steaks.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    From the 1953 book "The Space Merchants":
    He swung open her door. “This is her nest,” he said proudly. I looked and gulped.

It was a great concrete dome, concrete-floored. Chicken Little filled most of it. She was a gray-brown, rubbery hemisphere some fifteen yards in diameter. Dozens of pipes ran into her pulsating flesh. You could see that she was alive.

Herrera said to me: “All day I walk around her. I see a part growing fast, it looks good and tender, I slice.” His two-handed blade screamed again. This time it shaved off an inch-thick Chicken Little steak. (Ch. 9)

Long term I'd expect lab grown meat to be massively less expensive.
    Instead of having to get an animal pregnant, waiting the gestation time, then ensuring the babies survive, are brought up by the mother, then have a fair bit of time roaming wide pastures of land while being given food that has to be grown else where too often, making sure they stay healthy with vet visits, then having to take them to a butcher house and butcher them - instead the amount of time per piece of meat is the time it takes to grow that piece of meat.
    A lot higher return per raw materials, space and time as likely most will be automated I suspect.

I wonder, as the technology develops, if we'll see home-machines. Keeping frozen samples of DNA and if you want some beef next week, hit the button on your android-app and it starts preparing a few tasty steaks.

This + 3d printing = Star Trek. I think it is great.

For those of you who say that you think it is gross to eat something produced in a lab rather than grown on an animal, why? If it is grown from the same cells, what would be the difference?