Calling BS on the starvation mode (plz no E/D rants)

Options
Before I go any further I want to say this, I know eating a low calorie diet is mentally unhealthy to some individuals, particularly those who suffer from eating disorders, and I respect the opinion of those who struggle with them. I am just talking from the perspective of someone with out one who has a mentally sound grasp on their body and eating habits.

This is probably one of the most controversial subjects on this site. I personally think that if you eat to little the only way your body can compensate for that is by slowing your base* metabolic rate down a bit, but quite frankly think it is impossible for you body to just say screw you, I'm gonna take all the food you give me and store it as fat! I've played around with my food consumption and exercise enough to know my own body.

It's a scientific fact that when a person goes with out food the body first uses any available carbs in the system, then the fat reserve's, and finally it starts to break down its own muscle tissue (mainly from voluntary muscles) to supply the essential organ functions with energy to survive. So that goes to say that starvation mode, in the sense of muscle wasting, is only obtained by complete starvation and complete fat reservoir depletion, only then I would think, the body would start to use critical tissue to survive.

So please someone put this hype to rest and try to convince me of the contrary. I wanna know how having too big of a caloric deficit while still having an above "very lean" b/f% is somehow making people more fat? It just doesn't make sense to me at all?

Replies

• susanmarnold
    Options
    I wouldn't say it is making them more fat but I do agree that without weight training you will lose muscle as well as fat. I have heard that starvation mode doesn't really apply to the obese but it does for the overweight (per BMI) and normal range.
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    ^^I've heard that as well, but for instance I eat less then 1500 cals while I am cutting (currently am btw) and I still am able to achieve measurable and observable muscle gains while I loose the fat quite quickly...so I just don't see how that can happen given that logic?

*note* I do strength train regularly btw, in fact it's the focus of my workouts, so I can train my muscle as much as possible rather then just non stop cardio.
  • feetjustgo
    feetjustgo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Your assertion that "when a person goes with out food the body first uses any available carbs in the system, then the fat reserve's, and finally it starts to break down its own muscle tissue (mainly from voluntary muscles)" is NOT scientific fat, but rather wishful thinking.
    A low calorie diet or cardio exercise is going to cause you to lose muscle alongside fat, especially if you're not doing resistance training as well. This web page--http://www.livestrong.com/article/187596-does-your-body-burn-muscle-before-fat/ --has a concise explanation of several of the issues you bring up, including links to reputable sources.
    Sneak preview: "According to the National Council on Strength and Fitness, or NCSF, those who fast or skip meals start to lose mainly lean muscle tissue."
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Options
    Your assertion that "when a person goes with out food the body first uses any available carbs in the system, then the fat reserve's, and finally it starts to break down its own muscle tissue (mainly from voluntary muscles)" is NOT scientific fat, but rather wishful thinking.
    A low calorie diet or cardio exercise is going to cause you to lose muscle alongside fat, especially if you're not doing resistance training as well. This web page--http://www.livestrong.com/article/187596-does-your-body-burn-muscle-before-fat/ --has a concise explanation of several of the issues you bring up, including links to reputable sources.
    Sneak preview: "According to the National Council on Strength and Fitness, or NCSF, those who fast or skip meals start to lose mainly lean muscle tissue."

They keep coming to the point that inorder to maintain max muscle mass while loosing fat you must aim to no more then 2lbs a week. So given that is it safe to assume that the body can only use up fat reserves so quickly and anything faster then that given range and the body starts to depend on muscle tissue for for extra energy?
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Before I go any further I want to say this, I know eating a low calorie diet is mentally unhealthy to some individuals, particularly those who suffer from eating disorders, and I respect the opinion of those who struggle with them. I am just talking from the perspective of someone with out one who has a mentally sound grasp on their body and eating habits.

This is probably one of the most controversial subjects on this site. I personally think that if you eat to little the only way your body can compensate for that is by slowing your base* metabolic rate down a bit, but quite frankly think it is impossible for you body to just say screw you, I'm gonna take all the food you give me and store it as fat! I've played around with my food consumption and exercise enough to know my own body.

It's a scientific fact that when a person goes with out food the body first uses any available carbs in the system, then the fat reserve's, and finally it starts to break down its own muscle tissue (mainly from voluntary muscles) to supply the essential organ functions with energy to survive. So that goes to say that starvation mode, in the sense of muscle wasting, is only obtained by complete starvation and complete fat reservoir depletion, only then I would think, the body would start to use critical tissue to survive.

So please someone put this hype to rest and try to convince me of the contrary. I wanna know how having too big of a caloric deficit while still having an above "very lean" b/f% is somehow making people more fat? It just doesn't make sense to me at all?

I am with you, bud. Someone in the latest community sh*tfest actually claimed that if you eat less than 1200 cals, your Body will consume your MUSCLES instead of your FAT. And the scientific basis for that is___________?
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    OP you will die if you eat below your BMR for an extended period of time, DEATH!!!
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Options
    OP you will die if you eat below your BMR for an extended period of time, DEATH!!!

*kitten*, Alright I'm cracking a beer and pizza is in the oven...thanks bro you just saved my life!
  • bubingadrummer
    Options
    Well I am overweight and I am having a tough time understanding this exact topic. I am taking in around 1200 calories a day and exercising a minimum 45 minutes a day 5 days a week (it feels like I am eating plenty and you can check out my diary). In my first week I lost 3 lbs. But my exercise is all cardio mostly. So what confuses me is that people say I’m going to die if I don’t eat more but that’s the whole reason I’m fat in the first place. Am I really losing muscle instead of fat and am I really going to go through shock and die?
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I think severe calorie deficit can work but the key is for the body to come to terms that nothing more is coming its way, for it to start eating up the fat stores. This is my guess and based on what I have read online. If the body feels something is coming in, it will wait and hold on to the fat.

In any case, it is the most unhealthy and short-sighted method to lose weight. YOU WILL NOT LOOK GOOD.
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Options
    I think severe calorie deficit can work but the key is for the body to come to terms that nothing more is coming its way, for it to start eating up the fat stores. This is my guess and based on what I have read online. If the body feels something is coming in, it will wait and hold on to the fat.

In any case, it is the most unhealthy and short-sighted method to lose weight. YOU WILL NOT LOOK GOOD.

I don't think 1200 is too low (maybe if you are really burning up the cals working out), you know your body better better then any of us and if you don't feel hungry, shaky, or weak, then I don't see the harm. I've gone below 1200 for maybe a week but I was so out of it mentally and had absolutely no energy....that could not work for me, maybe it had something to do with me not being over weight thus having less available cals that were stored in my body...I don't know that's all speculation don't take my word for it!
  • NormInv
    Options
    Lets think about it some more. mmmkay?

From bodybuilding forum, the body expends 8 calories to keep 1 pound of muscle and 2 calories to keep 1 pound of fat each day.

So when you start a regimen of severe calorie deficit, guess what the body will eliminate first? The muscle, which is more calorie intensive before it even gets to fat.

So a better strategy is to gain more muscle so that the body is burning more calories even when you are wasting time on MFP.
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Options
    Lets think about it some more. mmmkay?

From bodybuilding forum, the body expends 8 calories to keep 1 pound of muscle and 2 calories to keep 1 pound of fat each day.

So when you start a regimen of severe calorie deficit, guess what the body will eliminate first? The muscle, which is more calorie intensive before it even gets to fat.

So a better strategy is to gain more muscle so that the body is burning more calories even when you are wasting time on MFP.

All that statment proves is that muscle is more energy demanding then fat, it doesn't say a thing about where the needed calories are taken from first.

and no offense but my strong opinion on the matter is based moreso on personal experience, rather then forum articles...which brings me back to my question how am I gaining muscle mass while cutting with on a 1500 cal diet while working out 3-6 hrs a week? all while my waist is shrinking considerably and everyday I'm seeing more definition not just muscle volume?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    more visible muscles =/= muscle gained
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    ^^I've heard that as well, but for instance I eat less then 1500 cals while I am cutting (currently am btw) and I still am able to achieve measurable and observable muscle gains while I loose the fat quite quickly...so I just don't see how that can happen given that logic?

*note* I do strength train regularly btw, in fact it's the focus of my workouts, so I can train my muscle as much as possible rather then just non stop cardio.

I have read several articles that state you can not gain muscle with a calorie deficit, is this not true?
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    BUMP ... and I totally agree with OP.
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a subject that you should discuss with your physician or maybe an endocrinologist who specializes in the endocrine system.That way any information you receive would be from someone qualified to give it. Good luck.
    Lisa
  • charLie_910
    Options

*kitten*, Alright I'm cracking a beer and pizza is in the oven...thanks bro you just saved my life!

mm.. beer and pizza! that's my kinda night! :drinker: haha
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I have read several articles that state you can not gain muscle with a calorie deficit, is this not true?

It's possible if:
    A) you are a beginner
    B) you are previously trained (muscle memory)
    C) you are on steroids

In the majority of cases, it is best to focus on fat loss (weight loss with preservation of LBM) or LBM gain. Both of these require resistance training. Hope that helps :smile:
  • NormInv
    Options
    I have scientifically proven to you that when faced with severe calorie deprivation, the body will first eliminate muscle. Please read that comment again. Your body will burn muscle to keep fat because its easier for it to maintain fat. Its simple math.
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Options
    I have scientifically proven to you that when faced with severe calorie deprivation, the body will first eliminate muscle. Please read that comment again. Your body will burn muscle to keep fat because its easier for it to maintain fat. Its simple math.

So I guess then If I start to diet ( wait I am), I will loose my physique and be left a blob on bones??? doesn't seem to add up bro....BTW I'm facing atleast 1000 cal deprivation on most days.....