Healthy bread

Options
Is there a healthy bread out there that won't blow me right out of the water or is it just about moderation? I'm hearing bad things about even whole grain breads which I used to think were healthy. I LOVE bread. I miss my old friend. My cheat meal last week included a pb&j on whole wheat, my favorite.

Replies

• dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Anything can be considered bad - it depends on who the 'expert' talking is.

Yes, wheat and whole grains are 'healthier' than white because they break down slower (complex carbs). If you don't care about blood sugar and quick sugary energy then it doesn't really matter though.

But to question your question - what makes bread unhealthy in your eyes?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Sure . . . just walk down the aisle and pick the first loaf you see.

Job done.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I still eat bread, I just buy smaller slice wholemeal bread. I usually find its the fillings that are more the killer.

A lot of people who have idet books out say have open sadwiches (ie one piece of bread) but tbh I'd rather have smaller bread.
  • pandacookie70
    Options
    Fresh soft warm bread...butter...heaven. Half a loaf gone before you know it. So in the freezer it goes, a couple of slices a day and that is it. It seems any slice is between 80-130 calories, so just go for you you like but don't over do it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Sure . . . just walk down the aisle and pick the first loaf you see.

Job done.

^^^ Yep.

There's no such thing as unhealthy bread. Even cinnamon and sugar bread with a powdered sugar glaze and melted butter dripping from it can be healthy in the context of a balanced diet. It's your overall diet that's either healthy or unhealthy, not individual food items.
  • mrsedge75
    mrsedge75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think its moderation. I have read that we naturally take longer to digest bread, hence bloating feeling. I'm easting weight watchers malt loaf at them mo, then switch to a brown, so i get a varied diet and taste.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Joseph's bakery breads. High protein/low carb. Check it out.
  • cosplayerkyo
    cosplayerkyo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm fond of Arnold's whole wheat bread (usually found at Harris Teeter).
    Lots of great bread choices from Trader Joes as well.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Butter makes any bread healthier.:smile:
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I pick this stuff up when it's in stock at my health store.

https://www.p28foods.com/baked-goods/p28-high-protein-bread
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Ae you near a Trader Joes? I buy their Multi grain Rustico Bread. 80 calories and 10 net carbs.
    Very tasty!
  • Zuragh
    Zuragh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Make your own Sourdough bread!!!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into Flat Out? I went to their website the other day and there are tons of great products and yummy recipes.
    I also eat Arnold rye, and multi grain. Or the sandwich thins.
  • bvt71
    bvt71 Posts: 2
    Options
    have you tried sprouted breads like ezekial, they are healthy and hearty and balanced in calories
  • Melissa_day
    Options
    Not sure where abouts in the world you are from but in England we have smaller versions of loaves of bread, which are about 50 caleries a slice. My favourite is warburtons best of both, which 57 a slice :)

Melissa
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    The Ezekiel sprouted breads are delicious.
    I like the 7 grain I think it's 80 cals a slice but you get 4 grams of protein per slice.

I say if you like bread, find a really GOOD healthy bread that you like and just portion it out through the week.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I like Orowheat Health Full 10 Grain Bread. It has 5 grams of protein per slice and 80 calories. Plus, it's yummy.
  • Blessed4x
    Blessed4x Posts: 20
    Options
    Great ideas guys. I need to do some more investigating. Thanks all. I was really under the impressions that ALL bread was kind of taboo.