Plateau time again

Options
Hey everyone,

I have been exercising (mostly cardio) and dieting since the beginning of the year and I have hit my second plateau.

I am thinking that I cannot cut my calories much more ( already at 1250 / day) or walk/run much more (about 1 hour a day).

So the next step I think is to start weight training...am I right?

The only problem here is that I broke my shoulder three months ago and I am currently a little restricted with how much I can actually do.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I just do core and legs for now? Or try to do arms / chest /back too?

Thanks

Mark

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Well, for the shoulder injury issue, you would need to check with your doctor on your limitations.
    Definitely mix up your program and add in something different--whether it's weight training, HIIT or whatever and I would actually think you may want to increase your calories. Are you eating back your exercise calories? I am losing and haven't eaten less than 1500 and yes, I know everyone is different but 1250 for a male and exercise for an hour seems too low
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Eat more
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Eat more

^^This.. and lift weights.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calorie intake by a couple hundred a day
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You are eating too little, unless you are a midget! But if you follow the forums at all you are probably aware of that. I reset my weight goals and it bumped me down to 1250 to lose 1/2 lb. a week. Friend said I need to customize it and so called a friend and he walked me thru the process. (ok, I am a bit inept at some of this stuff). Set it at 1600 calories and said I would lose 1 lb. a week. I dunno why MFP sets itself to 1200 or 1250 and then the customization says something totally different.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

That is a site that was given to me. There is a huge thread on forums for roadmap which says to eat more to lose more too.

I don't want to eat 1250 calories for the rest of my life. For me this is a health thing, not one time lose the weight fast as I can, plus at my age I would get lose skin issues if I lost fast...eww.

And I think a plateau lasts longer than a week, but I could be wrong.

I am just plodding along, doing one day at a time. Wanted to reach my goal by Sept. I can see now that is so not going to happen, but I feel better and my body is thanking me daily for the weight that has come off, so will continue to be the turtle.

Good luck.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it is really a plateau if you have had two of them already in two months. Is this just a week where possibly you didn't lose anything? I lost 50 ish pounds in 9 months. Then it took me 3 months to lose the next 10 pounds and I have lost nothing in the past month and half. I think I would be happy with a plateau that only took a week or two! :smile:

But in all seriousness, lifting will definitely help and also you do need to up your calories. 1250 is nowhere near enough for you.

Good luck!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising (mostly cardio) and dieting since the beginning of the year and I have hit my second plateau.

2nd?

I am thinking that I cannot cut my calories much more ( already at 1250 / day) or walk/run much more (about 1 hour a day).
    ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif
    Eat more, you are a man not a bed ridden old lady.

So the next step I think is to start weight training...am I right?

Should have been the first step but we will excuse that
    The only problem here is that I broke my shoulder three months ago and I am currently a little restricted with how much I can actually do.

No problemo, http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I just do core and legs for now? Or try to do arms / chest /back too?

Compound lifts
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    A grown man eating 1250 calories/day. Can't be serious.
  • SUPERCREWE
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • SUPERCREWE
    Options
    Love that nerd fitness site PERFECT !!!! thank you
  • SUPERCREWE
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Thankyou for all the help and tips.

I just wanted to clarify that the 1250/cals a day I referred to was the level that MFP suggested I consume to lose 2lbs a week.

This amount goes up if I exercise.

I don't just eat 1250/day or less as you would see by my diary (see below).

Wed 6 1995 cals
    Thurs 7 1630 cals
    Fri 8 1806 cals
    Sat 9 2245 cals

I think I need to strength train to get that weight loss 'fired-up'

Thanks for all the useful websites

Mark
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    two pounds a week isn't a healthy goal.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Strength training a must. I will add in my 2 cents that bodybuilding.com has some great programs for that. I too reached a plateau and became very frustrated that I couldn't lose the last 5 pounds so switched to sculpting the body and that has helped with the weight as well as toning.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Why not?
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Why not?

It depends on how much you have to lose, and is the reason MFP recommends 1lb a week, for people with 50lb or less to lose 2lb a week isn't the healthiest way to do it because it would probably mean eating below BMR
  • nessa2cyndi
    nessa2cyndi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it is really a plateau if you have had two of them already in two months. Is this just a week where possibly you didn't lose anything? I lost 50 ish pounds in 9 months. Then it took me 3 months to lose the next 10 pounds and I have lost nothing in the past month and half. I think I would be happy with a plateau that only took a week or two!

It is really discouraging when you hit the "plateau" especially when you have beend doing everything right! I've lost 100 lbs and I've hit those a few times. You just have to change it up-- try a different cardio and if you have certian foods you eat out of habit/routine (like yogurt or cereal for breakfast as an example) change it up.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Eat more

^^This.. and lift weights.

^^
  • SUPERCREWE
    Options
    Thanks for the website tip I will check it out :smile:
  • SUPERCREWE
    Options
    Can we please try to keep comments to those of a constructive nature and to norrisski's comment " why not"?
  • SUPERCREWE
    Options
    Thanks maybe it is time for a change :smile: