Why do people say "you need to stop losing weight?"

Options

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Ive been getting that a lot lately. It always makes me just sort of stop and blink confusedly. I am NOT skinny. I'm thinner than I was, and nearly to where I want to be, but hardly skinny. I'm getting this mostly from friends who really are genuinely concerned though...mostly they are counseling pros...I geuss they're just concerned that I might have an eating disorder. Its always with love...not jealousy, from these friends. Trust me, friends. I do not have an ED. I just look different now, and am approaching life a bit differently....in a healthier way. Said with love.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I posted a picture in a tank top on Facebook and got the opposite of "Fat Shaming".. people were saying that I need to put on weight and that I looked skeletal.... I am sooo not underweight.. I am firmly in the healthy range for BF% and am actively looking to lose a few more % points.....

It took me for a bit of a loop and then I got over it. I'm healthy and fit and they don't have to live in my body.... so whatever....

Yes! Great attitude! You are the one that has to live in your body and be comfortable. Not them. Ideas about "healthy" weight are a bit skewed these days...IMO.
  • workout_fish
    workout_fish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.

^THIS!!! LOL
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    People's perception on healthy/normal is so warped now days.

As long as you ARE in that range you don't have much to worry about. People are also so much more aware of eating and exercise disorders that they automatically presume this of anyone dedicated.

If they really care and are just looking out for you try not to be mad, maybe explain how you have managed to get to where you are, what you have left to do and of course that now you have got there you need to stay committed to some degree not to put on again.
  • Wildheart_Baby
    Wildheart_Baby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    They probably think you're going to end up losing too much weight and end up looking gaunt and all drawn out, as long as you lose it properly you can look and feel healthy, whilst being trim, they might just be concerned for your welfare.
  • GetDemGainz
    Options
    Although very hard at times, stick to your goals and the mindset that got you where you are today. I am receiving similar comments from some. I hit my original weight loss goal and I am still losing. My new goal is the same as yours at this point, shed the remaining belly fat and get 6 pack ripped! Almost there and nothing or no one is standing in my way. Good luck and keep going until YOU are satisfied =}
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Straight up discomfort. When someone they think of as "normal" loses weight and becomes lean and incredible-looking, it makes them uncomfortable about themselves.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Same problem. And I don't think it's jealousy. I think it's a perception thing. You can be the same size as the person standing right next to you but you'll look small because people are used to that other person being that size and you used to be bigger. I even had one friend who is much thinner than me message me that she was concerned that I was too skinny. :noway: My BF is around 25% and hers is probably more like 20% so :noway: lol
  • witchieboo
    witchieboo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When you have your clothes on covering any flab, people don't see the extra weight. I told a few people how much I weighed and they could not believe I weight that much. I you need to loss weight it will come off, but don' t starve yourself to do it. Don't forget being underweight as health problems too.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    A friend said the same to me yesterday. I do not think it was because she was jealous it is maybe that she has never known me slim. This to me feels like the real me. My loss does show in my face especially on a bad day (haha it looks a little craggy) But that will catch up. I do say that I have had no real loss since last year, this is down to getting a bit fitter but i do not think they believe that. Give it time they will learn to accept and get used to the new you.

Well done on the loss so far.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    What everyone is saying is true....just remember that if you have an ED you will be the last to know (or at least, to admit). As long as you are reaching for a weight that your MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL deems appropriate and are doing it a healthy way, don't let anyone dissuade you from your goals!
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I posted a picture in a tank top on Facebook and got the opposite of "Fat Shaming".. people were saying that I need to put on weight and that I looked skeletal.... I am sooo not underweight.. I am firmly in the healthy range for BF% and am actively looking to lose a few more % points.....

It took me for a bit of a loop and then I got over it. I'm healthy and fit and they don't have to live in my body.... so whatever....

I have had people, in the past, tell me that I "don't even have to work at it" because my metabolism must take care of it and I can eat whatever I want. So not true! I've been into fitness since 2000 and have, for the most part, always eaten a healthy diet. So just because I didn't start off bigger and lose a ton of weight does not mean I haven't been successful.

I think people will say something regardless. It's like you're damned if you do, damned if you don't....
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Because people's idea of what healthy weight looks like is way off as they look around at the masses of overweight people around them. I am still a good 18 pounds ABOVE what my "normal" range should be and get the your getting too thin comments as well. I think some think this line of conversation is a compliment, I think it is annoying and rude that they have no clue of the work and commitment it can take.

^^ This. It's gotten to the point where I won't tell my family what size I am. I just say that I'm a size "fit and healthy." I've been called a "bobblehead" one too many times for my liking. I think my family was so used to how I used to look that they couldn't handle the change even though it was gradual.

I've lost just over 90 pounds and went from a size 16 to a size 2. My lbm, lean body mass, is 115 lbs and 14% fat - I am not there yet but when I say I want to get there my family goes nuts. For me, the everage size of a US woman is not healthy.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    Check out my pictures and progress. Same boat but was a 30/32 and can fit some 6s and 8s. It sucks but the skin just is there. I've gotten rid of a lot of it but push myself. Pretty much 200 pounds down from the start
  • BrightStar85
    BrightStar85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.

True story.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to responses like that... then again, I'm an ***hole, so I'm looking forward to making fun of them for not working out with me and still being fat. Tit for tat.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Because they aren't used to seeing you at the smaller size, so you instantly seem sickly and worrisome to them. Just remind them that you're doing it in a healthy way and eating plenty of really tasty food but that you just have some personal fitness goals to achieve.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't know, it annoys me too. This weekend I visited my grandma, she saw me and said I shouldn't lose more weight. Then she spent half the weekend asking if I ever stopped eating LMAO I tried to explain but it didn't work out :)

I have this same problem with my parents!

I find it very difficult. My father says I need to stop losing weight and compares me to my very, very, painfully and extremely unhealthy sister (suspected bullemic, who I know for a FACT takes laxatives many times a day), which annoys me. My mum just thinks I'm going over the top, and my boyfriend says I need to stop at 10 stone (140lbs, although we've had a chat about this and if he thinks he can control me, he knows where he can go :laugh: )
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Well people we do not want to heart this but sometimes it is true, we do need to stop losing weight. We do not look good in the face and when we loose to much weight and our faces start looking bad, like no fat in the cheeks and having marionette lines by our mouth because we lost fat out of our face and the skin is sagging.

We tend to look at our flaws, not our awesomeness. I can say that when I was 105 this past summer all I saw were the teeny pockets of fat on my saddlebags. It was not until I saw a picture of myself that I realized I looked horrible. I stopped logging and intentionally had to gain 7 pounds.

Body dysmorphia is very common and not our friend.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Because they have no idea what I actually look like naked..... ;)

Kidding aside, I'm jumping on the 'haters gonna hate' train. Just do you and don't let them get you down.