Calling people who squat heavy...

Options

Replies

• patsnyder89
    Options
    yup flexibility and mobility
  • soliver43
    Options
    Sad to say that I am an AFAA cetified personal trainer/fitness instuctor and still battle with weight issues. Back to your question. Form, form and form is key. When I train I push form over reps. Once form is perfected, repetitions will increase at strenght increases.

Most people do squats incorrectly. Although the goal is to, eventually, get your hips as low as you possibly can to the floor, form absolutely has to PERFECTED or you will not get the desired results. I have my clients use a "prop" while we work on form. I use different types of exercise media such as Body Bars, Medicine balls, and the TRX. proper form for a squat should feel, "unatural" in the beginning. Hips should be "hyper extended" while maintaining an "engaged" core, body weight should be shifted to the heels, chest should be lifted, shoulders relaxed and square, face forward and most importantly, Knees should be aligned with the ankles. Practice these things, perfect them and then focus on reps! Tip: sometimes very tight hamstrings will affect form.

Hope this helps!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I had trouble getting below parallel then i tossed front squats into my routine, now front or reg. squats I get my but with in 4 inches of the floor.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I've been squatting for years and I can't get anywhere near parallel with a barbell. I have read it's to do with the ratio of femur length to torso length. It means some people can't go low without becoming imbalanced or leaning forward excessively. I just use dumbells or a smith machine. Have you tried front squats/hack squats?

work on your mobility FFS.
    there is no reason for someone to not be able to hit parallel (except maybe a serious injury), after squatting for years.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I've been squatting for years and I can't get anywhere near parallel with a barbell. I have read it's to do with the ratio of femur length to torso length. It means some people can't go low without becoming imbalanced or leaning forward excessively. I just use dumbells or a smith machine. Have you tried front squats/hack squats?

work on your mobility FFS.
    there is no reason for someone to not be able to hit parallel (except maybe a serious injury), after squatting for years.

If a big frame guy like me can do it, you have no excuse.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I looked this up earlier today as I have relatively long femurs compared to shin length, in relation to the fact that I can't do pistol squats without falling backwards unless I lean so far forwards on my knees that they hurt. I have very good balance generally and not too bad joint flexibility and can go ATG on regular squats, so it doesn't seem logical that I can't do pistol squats. But apparently femur length is the issue.

Here is an article I found about it: http://voices.yahoo.com/long-femurs-why-wide-stance-makes-parallel-squats-11752392.html?cat=50 I have exactly the problems described, i.e. leaning too far forward (which also hurts my knees) when squatting in a shoulder width apart stance, falling backwards if I go too low. When attempting parallel squats with a shoulder width apart stance, my torso is almost parallel to the floor in order to maintain balance (as described in the article), and I can't go lower without holding my arms out in front of me, I can just about maintain my balance if my arms are straight out in front of me as a counterbalance, but if my hands are in barbell holding position, I fall backwards. I've always wondered if this was a body proportion thing, and yes, it seems to be the case.

However, a wider stance prevents all of this, which is what the article says to do, in fact I naturally have always squatted in the stance mentioned in the article and never had problems going ATG including with a barbell, and never considered it an issue as I never saw any reason to try to barbell squat with a narrower stance. It's only due to the issue with pistol squats that I even looked this up, and if anyone has any ideas about how I can do one legged ATG squats without falling backwards I'd be delighted to hear it because my barbell loaded with all the weights I have is only 88lb, and last workout I squatted 84.4lb for 6 reps.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Agreed

I've seen insanely fat guys squat to depth, and I've seen people 6'6" + squat to depth.

No reason a smaller person can't do it with some work
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts out differently but rarely ever with perfect form. Getting to parallel is a great goal but it's not something to beat yourself up over if you can't do it right out of the box. Just keep squatting, you'll get there! You can also do some hip flexor stretches (Google) which might help to make you more flexible to get you a little lower.

Just remember to keep your butt going back toward the back wall, not straight down. Knees over toes. Chest up. Don't let knees pull inward toward each other. And stay on your heels, and push through them on the way back up.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Agreed

I've seen insanely fat guys squat to depth, and I've seen people 6'6" + squat to depth.

No reason a smaller person can't do it with some work

***not that it's an excuse for not being able to do ATG squats*** but the issue is about the ratio of femur length and tibia length, not about the total length of the femur. The same issue can be expressed as having relatively short shins. If you have long shins compared to your femur, then as you squat your centre of gravity is over your feet, where it should be, so balancing is not an issue. If your shins are shorter (compared to your femur) your centre of gravity is behind your feet, so you end up leaning forwards a lot to try to compensate for this and not fall backwards, which leads to bad form and/or not being able to go far down without falling backwards. Having a wider stance fixes this. But saying that femur/tibia ratio is not an issue for some people on the basis that you know 6'6" guys who squat ATG is missing the point, because it's a ratio and so can affect short people too. In fact based on my knowledge of anthropology and human variation in relation to environmental factors, I'd predict this issue would be more common in shorter people than in taller people. ***still not an excuse for not being able to do ATG squats, but you do need to take a wider stance***
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the great info!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

I looked this up earlier today as I have relatively long femurs compared to shin length, in relation to the fact that I can't do pistol squats without falling backwards unless I lean so far forwards on my knees that they hurt. I have very good balance generally and not too bad joint flexibility and can go ATG on regular squats, so it doesn't seem logical that I can't do pistol squats. But apparently femur length is the issue.

Here is an article I found about it: http://voices.yahoo.com/long-femurs-why-wide-stance-makes-parallel-squats-11752392.html?cat=50 I have exactly the problems described, i.e. leaning too far forward (which also hurts my knees) when squatting in a shoulder width apart stance, falling backwards if I go too low. When attempting parallel squats with a shoulder width apart stance, my torso is almost parallel to the floor in order to maintain balance (as described in the article), and I can't go lower without holding my arms out in front of me, I can just about maintain my balance if my arms are straight out in front of me as a counterbalance, but if my hands are in barbell holding position, I fall backwards. I've always wondered if this was a body proportion thing, and yes, it seems to be the case.

However, a wider stance prevents all of this, which is what the article says to do, in fact I naturally have always squatted in the stance mentioned in the article and never had problems going ATG including with a barbell, and never considered it an issue as I never saw any reason to try to barbell squat with a narrower stance. It's only due to the issue with pistol squats that I even looked this up, and if anyone has any ideas about how I can do one legged ATG squats without falling backwards I'd be delighted to hear it because my barbell loaded with all the weights I have is only 88lb, and last workout I squatted 84.4lb for 6 reps.

Actually, most strength coaches AND all physical therapists I have talked to, say that inability to do pistol squats and get A2G has more to do with lack of ankle mobility. That's why you see peeps put plates under their heels and Oly shoes have a tiny heel. Squatting is dependent on the joints from the TOP to the BOTTOM. Shoulders, hips, knees and ankles. If long femurs are the problem, then working on your dorsiflexion CAN help.

OP- you need mobility. Anybody who can't get A2G-- you need mobility. We are made to squat. It is a basic body movement.

When I started, my squat was FREAKING UGLY. I have worked on mobility for over a year and it's way better, even under heavy loads. It takes time and dedication. Work on hips! Hips! Hips! Hips! It will also protect your knees, (helps you push your knees out at the bottom of the squat) and lower back.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Great tips!
    I'm the only one at my gym that uses the squat rack, so I'm always second-guessing my form
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    No one can help your squat form without seeing you perform the squat. Suprised no one asked for a video in 2 pages.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    When I started, I couldn't do a body weight quarter squat, and forget about parallel. I can now successfully do 120lb back squat to parallel. But it took time - a lot of time.

Here are some things that helped me:

- Widening my stance. I am very large (~300lbs at the time), and I was trying to squat like the people who weigh 120lbs. I don't, and I am not going to have the same form as them. Go wider on your stance. It's okay.
    - Doing full body weight squats to the ground (@ss to the grass as they say) holding on to something to get there to help with hip mobility issues. Stay there and just sit in that position for a while. You will feel it if you have hip mobility issues.
    - Squat to Stands for mobility
    - Goblet Squats to a bench
    - Blanks to help build core strength
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great tips!
    I'm the only one at my gym that uses the squat rack, so I'm always second-guessing my form

I wish I was the only one at my gym using the squat rack.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Actually, most strength coaches AND all physical therapists I have talked to, say that inability to do pistol squats and get A2G has more to do with lack of ankle mobility. That's why you see peeps put plates under their heels and Oly shoes have a tiny heel. Squatting is dependent on the joints from the TOP to the BOTTOM. Shoulders, hips, knees and ankles. If long femurs are the problem, then working on your dorsiflexion CAN help.

I just tried this with the Times Atlas of History under my heels.... and bingo! I can do pistol squats (they're easy, in fact!) and narrow stance front squats, both ATG. Thank you for that tip :flowerforyou:

I'm not convinced that I have a problem with ankle flexibility though, because I have pretty good flexibility including in my ankle, I can do full range calf raises with my toes on a platform, and get really low with those (i.e. heel well below my toes). Putting the book under my feet is no different in mechanical terms to making my shins a couple of inches longer. Trying to force my ankle to overflex in order to compensate for relatively shorter shins doesn't seem like a good idea, and trying to do this when squatting hurts my knees (I tried this in the past and stopped because it hurt my knees). In any case, the book seems to have fixed this issue so I'll continue with that.

There is quite a lot of variation between humans in terms of tibia/femur ratio, I know that from studying anthropology, and it varies in different populations and has enough biomechanical implications for natural selection to favour certain ratios in certain environments (shorter tibia/longer femur is believed to be an adaptation to walking/running in hilly/mountainous terrain, while longer tibia/shorter femur is better for running on level terrain - interesting because my husband has relatively longer shins and can out-run me on the flat, but I can beat him running up stairs). Given that, I don't think it's far fetched to suggest that this kind of thing can affect the mechanics and form of various lifts.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    when i first started i had a mental block where i couldnt get myself to go lower (even though i physically could). Finally I took out my phone and started videoing myself doing it...that's when i realized just how much lower i should be going. try videoing yourself so you can actually see yourself do the lift.
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, I'll try putting something under my heel.
    I have tried doing mega wide squats too and I just can't get my *kitten* down. I don't think it's a matter of mobility or form there's just a natural imbalance in the dimensions of my body. If you could see me attempt a squat you'd understand, it's pretty comical.
    Thanks for the tips.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    second box squats as well as mobility work!

This rehabbed my squat so I finally quit hurting my back and can progress loading the bar.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Just bumping to save videos and info...