Women - exercising during that time of the month?

Options

Replies

• aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    after I lost weight and changed my diet, my menstruation became less of a bother (less out of control miserable) and certainly way more manageable for exercise. As of now, it has no impact on my exercise whatsoever.
  • AmberMahfouz
    Options
    Working out does help!

I don't have the extreme problems you do, but I agree that a banana will help and even try some dark chocolate.

I agree ^^ maybe talk to your doctor about some BC or anything that could help regulate the problems you're having. That would be terrible to deal with every month.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If anyone's period is soooo bad that they can't exercise or function normally, see a doctor.

Mother nature has always been cruel to me and sent Aunt Flo for a visit whenever I had something physical planned, like my first 5k, my first 10k, the Warrior Dash, etc. That's why I'm on depo provera again, because I don't want to deal with it.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I've never had really bad periods so it's never been an issue for me and even if I'm tired and crampy exercise makes me feel better.

I don't personally think that birth control is the "end all be all" for periods unless you talk to your doctor and it really is something that YOU think will work as well. There are other things that a doctor can suggest that have nothing to do with taking birth control. I got off the pill a little over a year ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I am no longer a fan of the pill nor will I advocate it because of how screwed up the hormones made me and in all honesty the hormones that are in the pill aren't exactly good for you because they suppress your natural hormones so your levels are actually lower which isn't good.

As far as exercise helping your issues I think you need to just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully it might help you out in the long run.

I honestly suggest speaking to your doctor about your problem and hopefully he/she can come up with a solution that works for you and that is what YOU want.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    More ibuprofen. Talk to your doctor first, but mine gave me the goahead to take up to the prescription dose on the first day. I find if I don't take enough, it does NOTHING, but if I take enough, it's like they vanish. You might also try a dose of naproxen (Aleve) -- it says you can take one or two to start and then another one 12 hours later -- take the 2.

Cramps are caused by prostaglandins affecting smooth muscles. You need a prostaglandin inhibitor, so it has to be ibuprofen or another NSAID like naproxen.
  • TaminaShock
    TaminaShock Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just rest no pressures
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Speaking of exercising at that time of month, Gaiam has "warning" that goes like...

"Certain special precautions apply to this or any other exercise program. For example, women who are menstruating should not practice inverted poses, back bends, or vigorous standing poses. Pregnant women should not practice twists or any abdominal tightening poses."

LOL! Exercising and doing those poses IMPROVED my TOMs. Bananas are a great help, too. I would never use a birth control pill for it. Messes up too hormones and other issues.
  • BuffySlays2000
    BuffySlays2000 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The older I get the worse my cramps get. Unfortunately, I cannot take birth control or ibuprofen in any form. After I had my daughter I was put on BC and a blood clot formed that went to my brain. Since I was young it took a couple of weeks for anyone to take me seriously that I was in a tremendous amount of pain. Even dim light made me throw up. Finally a CAT scan revealed the blood clot that was causing my brain to swell. So, no birth control ever for me. When I was 21 or so, I suffered a perforated stomach ulcer that also almost killed me. Since I had no insurance at the time, the ER doctor tried to send me home even though the morphine drip didn't take away the horrible pain. Eventually, they did exploratory surgery which revealed the hole in my stomach. For those reasons, I cringe when thinking of BC or ibuprofen. After many years of suffering through horrible periods, I found that Evening Primrose oil and Black Cohosh work well for me if I start them 3-4 days before. Everybody is, of course, different.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Are you on the pill??

IBU is weak - take midol -- I used to pop 2 when I had bad cramps - I dont get them anymore but I think that's from the amount of exercise I do now compared to then
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I get hopped up on midol and go for a brisk walk until it kicks in. I also drink lots of tea and make sure to get my potassium. And I remind myself that if I do a little exercise, I'll have a better time fitting in that chocolate I've been craving ;)
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There are some yoga poses/stretches that can help relieve cramps and heavy flow. Maybe you could try doing those? I get bad cramps too, not so bad that I can't still exercise, but I usually do lighter workouts if it's my worst day.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    For me there is no pattern. About every 6 months I get cramps bad, and I mean bad. So bad that I sometimes pass out. Once it started when I was running and I barely made it home before I started blacking out.

I have learned to recognize the "special feeling" of these mega cramps beginning. It is different than regular cramps. So if I get that feeling I immediately take two ALEVE and lie down if I can. Usually the meds kick in and then I'm fine. Maybe that would help you.

I'm interested in trying the banana too!

And for you non believers out there, it's not that we're not as tough as you it is a real ( non serious) medical issue called a vagal response to pain. It causes a sudden drop in blood pressure that re sets itself as soon as you hit the floor. But hitting the floor without warning is no fun!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I exercise. I wouldn't say I really feel like exercising on the first day but I deal with it. That said, mine don't sound as bad as yours.

I don't really want to recommend birth control as such, because that's something you need to discuss with your doctor. I will say however, that the pill might be something to look into/consider at least. I was on it for around 4 years and in that time I had little to no cramping and they were quite a bit lighter!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Do you do it? How do you get comfortable?

I'm the painful cramps / 2 maxi pads and still leaks through kind of person. I cramp for 3 days around ovulation and 5 days around AF. Every single time around that time, I start cramping 20 minutes into my workout. Yesterday I stopped to take an ibuprofen and it wasn't too bad so I kept going, today is day 1 so I took some ibuprofen one hour beforehand, and still managed to start cramping (bad ones) after 20 minutes. I had to stop. Now after a shower it's slightly better.

It's so frustrating! I thought exercise was good for pain. I've been working out pretty much every day (minus 2) for 30-45 minutes for 5 weeks now. Surely my body would be used to it by now? Today was my day 'off' anyway so it wasn't a big deal, but I don't want to go through the same thing for the next 2 days again. Last month wasn't too bad but I had to stop early a couple times too because of cramps.

How does it work for you?

I don't have cramping while I'm exercising, but I rarely actually think about my body when I'm exercising. I used to have terrible cramping, as I've lost weight I also lost the cramping. I'm 10 pounds over where I'd like to be right now, and this month was the first time I've had any cramping in 18 months. Keep at it, hopefully it will get better. Oh, and I never want to work out when I have my period, I just get my *kitten* in gear and do it anyway.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    And for you non believers out there, it's not that we're not as tough as you it is a real ( non serious) medical issue called a vagal response to pain. It causes a sudden drop in blood pressure that re sets itself as soon as you hit the floor. But hitting the floor without warning is no fun!!

I regularly used to vomit while on my period so sympathise! Damn hormones!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The see a doctor advice is all well and good, but when I was a teen and curled up in pain, it was still commonly believed that women got cramps because they were rejecting their womanhood. And a lot of doctors still just throw birth control pills at you if ou complain about cramps, and they don't have much else to suggest. And 25% of women have libido loss on the pill. Yay!

For context? I had two huge babies with no drugs, because childbirth never got as bad as my worst cramps, I don't get them that bad anymore (since having kids, actually) but I remember how awful they were.

I worked with a woman who would pass out sometimes, and that was on hormones.
  • likeA_boss
    likeA_boss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have really bad TOMs as in heavy and painful because of my birth control so I ALWAYS take 2 advil and a banana an hour before the workout or else I'll throw up from the pain of my cramps. Then I put a tampon on and a maxi overnight pad. See if that helps becaues if not I wouldn't be able to run a mile let alone 6[:
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I use those days as my lighter intensity days. I choose a level 1 or 2 exercise or just plain walk those days. I completely relate to what happens to you and am not interested in going on bc.

I avoid things like burpees, lunges, squats, and any heavy lifting. It just makes things worse. Cardio does tend to make me feel better.
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Mine are pretty bad too with heavy flow.
    I don't exercise during the 1st 3 days.
    Partly because of the pain and partly I am terrified that I will leak through while running (which has happened many times before wearing multi levels of protection)
    To each her own. I think a few rest days won't hurt but maybe you could work on arms during this time (I should too).

HTH
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Do you do it? How do you get comfortable?

I'm the painful cramps / 2 maxi pads and still leaks through kind of person. I cramp for 3 days around ovulation and 5 days around AF. Every single time around that time, I start cramping 20 minutes into my workout. Yesterday I stopped to take an ibuprofen and it wasn't too bad so I kept going, today is day 1 so I took some ibuprofen one hour beforehand, and still managed to start cramping (bad ones) after 20 minutes. I had to stop. Now after a shower it's slightly better.

It's so frustrating! I thought exercise was good for pain. I've been working out pretty much every day (minus 2) for 30-45 minutes for 5 weeks now. Surely my body would be used to it by now? Today was my day 'off' anyway so it wasn't a big deal, but I don't want to go through the same thing for the next 2 days again. Last month wasn't too bad but I had to stop early a couple times too because of cramps.

How does it work for you?

I don't have cramping while I'm exercising, but I rarely actually think about my body when I'm exercising. I used to have terrible cramping, as I've lost weight I also lost the cramping. I'm 10 pounds over where I'd like to be right now, and this month was the first time I've had any cramping in 18 months. Keep at it, hopefully it will get better. Oh, and I never want to work out when I have my period, I just get my *kitten* in gear and do it anyway.

^^ THIS