30DS in actual 30 day timeframe??!!??

Options
Ok, I love this DVD and how well it really does its job and would like to keep at it, but potentially at my own pace.

I'm starting to "fear" and feel guilt about now taking a day here or there off, like I'm *wimping out*. I feel like I am trying to kill myself to keep up with the notion of doing the 30DS in an actual 30 day timeframe.

I was super gung-ho when I first got it that I would do 30 in 30. Not the case now, I started seeing my self obessing (im almost concerned I might be slipping into excercise addiction issues) about making time to do it before 'days end' and I am just as busy as the next person I am sure, but I really felt like it was cutting into my personal time with family (I'm a single mom of 3 kids) and friends, not to mention much needed rest for my body.

I started the 30DS on 03/03/13 and did 5 days straight and combining that with a half hour of Zumba most of the nights if I could squeeze it in for extra cardio. Then I took Friday off - so I could visit my friend and relax. Then I did it again Saturday and Sunday, but then I took yesterday off cause I was mentally and physically drained from personal life stuff (ugh- car shopping- its not as fun as I wish it were- totally off topic)

I'm starting to question if I can hang with Jillian Michaels. And I feel like I'm letting myself down. But then I realize all the changes I have effing made since I started this journey.

Not that you asked, but here's my story - short version. I decided in Novemeber 2012 when my best friend (age 35) was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to have a double masectomy in January 2013, that I had to make changes. No more smoking, no more eating fast food everyday for every meal, no more being lazy and not moving my body, no more feeling miserable about myself and my life. I realized I'd lost weight before, I can certainly do this again. So I knew it was a matter just doing it. Coincidentially there was a "Govenors Weight Loss Challenge' that was starting for State Employees (which I am) that started with a weigh in Jan 7, 2013. So for the first time in a long time, I got on a scale and looked. 243.9 lbs is what my official weigh in was on 01/07/2013 (5'3" 35 yo). I quit smoking, I changed my eating habits drastically, and did it all the healthy way (granted I'm not eating "clean" yet, but I intend to change that along my journey as well), then a week after I started all of that as if that weren't enough. I have never been a calorie counter chic,....but I saw a tool that I could use call My Fitness Pal, and it had an app on my phone,...you know how it works,...I thought to myself cool, maybe this will help me too. I LOVE MFP. I had zero idea what I was sticking in my mouth and how many calories it had, etc,....now I actually care and am aware and am informed. So I;ve been on here everyday since,..faithfully logging everything and I started with food changes first, then a week later I started excercising, and I have been extremely consistant since I started. I am amazed at how far I've come. And as of today's weigh in I'm 215.0, 28 lbs lost. WHAT THE??!!?? I'm excited and I feel so much better, and best of all I get compliments all the time,...what gal doesn't like that? I dont intend to stop, I have a long way to go. My short term goal is to break out of the 200's into one-derland,....my Ultimate goal is about 140 lbs. I'm serious about this, I am committed,....BUT I DONT WANT TO WEAR MYSELF OUT OR HURT MYSELF IN THE PROCESS.

I don't know what I'm looking for as far as posting this other than to vent to people who might relate,....I'm just feeling overwhelmed with Jillian Michaels guilt that I took a couple of days off and I'm obviously not doing 30 in 30.

*Please be gentle with comments and feedback,....lol I've seen people get torn down on here*

Replies

• Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You are doing so well! Give yourself a break about not doing 30 days in a row. I have seen it said on here that even Jillian recommends that you do two days on/one day off. I can't find her quoted anywhere as saying that, but it seems totally fine to take a day or so of rest. :) The important thing is you keep making those awesome changes.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Do what you can, take breaks/rest days when you need to, and don't obsess about perfection. Jillian herself even says to take rest days.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've seen people get crazy results from taking NO breaks, and I've seen crazy results from people who took regular breaks. Do what feels good to you, and maybe just get a walk in on your days off so you don't feel guilty for not doing 'something.'
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Most of the people I've seen doing 30DS rarely get it done within the 30 day time period. Don't stress over it! The important thing is the progress you've made and that you keep it up. Good luck!
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You are doing so well! Give yourself a break about not doing 30 days in a row. I have seen it said on here that even Jillian recommends that you do two days on/one day off. I can't find her quoted anywhere as saying that, but it seems totally fine to take a day or so of rest. :) The important thing is you keep making those awesome changes.

AMEN!!!

Sweetie - you have made astonishing changes! Give yourself a break here and there if you need it! It's better that than to burn out!
    You got this!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i have posted this in a couple of other 30ds as well, but jsut in the alst two months i watched an interview with her, she said that the 30 days was a marketing tool, that when she did it her intention for it was 2 days shred, 1 day cardio, 2 days shred, 1 day off, rinse repeat.
    i have been doing it but not faithfully, although i wish i was doing it more faithfully, sometimes i only do it like 2 days a week, throw in a couple of gym days too or maybe one gym day, one day walking around my neighborhood, etc. i always lean towards the not extreme, i know myself and i am happy with the progress i am making i dont want to do something that i am going to end up resenting and then quitting, i think you are doing an amazing job, days off don't hurt, your body needs time to recover.
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There's a podcast out there somewhere (sorry, couldn't find it at the moment) where Jillian Michaels recommends spending each week doing 2 days of 30DS, 1 day of cardio, 2 days of 30DS, 1 day of cardio, 1 day of rest. Over time, you do 30 days of shredding, but it's not in 30 consecutive days. I'm on level 1, day 5 right now. I was too scared to start at first, but when I read this, I realized that I didn't HAVE to do 30 in a row, and I didn't have to feel guilty if I have to take a day to rest. It's a very freeing feeling. Do what you can. Anything is better than nothing. You CAN do this!
  • VISCIENTIST
    Options
    You are doing great keep it up. I do the 30DS three times a week. I started in Jan so I will be done early next month and I still see results. I do other excercises thats why I don't do it everyday plus I dont want to overdue it as well. This week I will be level 1 and 2 in the same day three times a week.
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm taking 6 weeks to finish lol I did level 1 monday wednesday and friday and ran tuesday thursday and saturday til i reached level 2 then i did level 1 on days I ran and level 2 on shred days, now ive swapped the days up but basically the structure... I will be at level 3 one day this week and then will do level 2 on run days and level 3 on shred days... I'm a rule breaker :wink:
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Ok, I love this DVD and how well it really does its job and would like to keep at it, but potentially at my own pace.

I'm starting to "fear" and feel guilt about now taking a day here or there off, like I'm *wimping out*. I feel like I am trying to kill myself to keep up with the notion of doing the 30DS in an actual 30 day timeframe.

I was super gung-ho when I first got it that I would do 30 in 30. Not the case now, I started seeing my self obessing (im almost concerned I might be slipping into excercise addiction issues) about making time to do it before 'days end' and I am just as busy as the next person I am sure, but I really felt like it was cutting into my personal time with family (I'm a single mom of 3 kids) and friends, not to mention much needed rest for my body.

I started the 30DS on 03/03/13 and did 5 days straight and combining that with a half hour of Zumba most of the nights if I could squeeze it in for extra cardio. Then I took Friday off - so I could visit my friend and relax. Then I did it again Saturday and Sunday, but then I took yesterday off cause I was mentally and physically drained from personal life stuff (ugh- car shopping- its not as fun as I wish it were- totally off topic)

I'm starting to question if I can hang with Jillian Michaels. And I feel like I'm letting myself down. But then I realize all the changes I have effing made since I started this journey.

Not that you asked, but here's my story - short version. I decided in Novemeber 2012 when my best friend (age 35) was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to have a double masectomy in January 2013, that I had to make changes. No more smoking, no more eating fast food everyday for every meal, no more being lazy and not moving my body, no more feeling miserable about myself and my life. I realized I'd lost weight before, I can certainly do this again. So I knew it was a matter just doing it. Coincidentially there was a "Govenors Weight Loss Challenge' that was starting for State Employees (which I am) that started with a weigh in Jan 7, 2013. So for the first time in a long time, I got on a scale and looked. 243.9 lbs is what my official weigh in was on 01/07/2013 (5'3" 35 yo). I quit smoking, I changed my eating habits drastically, and did it all the healthy way (granted I'm not eating "clean" yet, but I intend to change that along my journey as well), then a week after I started all of that as if that weren't enough. I have never been a calorie counter chic,....but I saw a tool that I could use call My Fitness Pal, and it had an app on my phone,...you know how it works,...I thought to myself cool, maybe this will help me too. I LOVE MFP. I had zero idea what I was sticking in my mouth and how many calories it had, etc,....now I actually care and am aware and am informed. So I;ve been on here everyday since,..faithfully logging everything and I started with food changes first, then a week later I started excercising, and I have been extremely consistant since I started. I am amazed at how far I've come. And as of today's weigh in I'm 215.0, 28 lbs lost. WHAT THE??!!?? I'm excited and I feel so much better, and best of all I get compliments all the time,...what gal doesn't like that? I dont intend to stop, I have a long way to go. My short term goal is to break out of the 200's into one-derland,....my Ultimate goal is about 140 lbs. I'm serious about this, I am committed,....BUT I DONT WANT TO WEAR MYSELF OUT OR HURT MYSELF IN THE PROCESS.

I don't know what I'm looking for as far as posting this other than to vent to people who might relate,....I'm just feeling overwhelmed with Jillian Michaels guilt that I took a couple of days off and I'm obviously not doing 30 in 30.

*Please be gentle with comments and feedback,....lol I've seen people get torn down on here*

Don't worry about doing it everyday. I've been doing it since 1/28 and am still finishing. A couple of rest days a week are good.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Im doing it now for the second time, Just trying to do it 5 days a week. the first time I did 10 days each level and took about 40 to complete it, still got great results
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think I did each level for 10 days then took a day off in between...that was my first time around. I still try to work out 4-5 times a week, but I alternate between her other DVD's, mostly because I get bored. Keep up the great work!
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I might be totally wrong here and may get a verbal bashing LOL... But... I have a 96 day time frame LOL... (Going on my first proper holiday in 14 years :))

I go to the gym twice a week Mon and Wed I was thinking of doing the 30DS Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday to hopefully "compliment" going to the gym. Not sure how it will work, if it will benefit me or not, but that is my plan LOL!

I will also take an extra day off if I need to.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    OK, deep breath in and let it out slowly.

If you're wanting to blast through it in 30 days, do it. But if you want to be able to do every excercise through and through? It requires time. It's a suggested time/marketing thing. Regardless of if you do the entire program in 30 days, you're going to have a noticeable difference in 30 days.

I'm repeating week two because the serving biceps kill me and I can't do the push ups with the leg raise to completion. From the bits I've seen of week 3...I'll spend more than 5 days on that, too.

It's ok to go at your own pace so long as you give it your all every time. Just give it your all. :flowerforyou:
  • TSalcito
    TSalcito Posts: 2
    Options
    It is healthy to let your body rest. Instead maybe go for a walk with your kids, or walk around the mall with your girlfriends for some hang out time but still get your body moving. Even if you don't do anything, one day is not going to break you. A lot of people work out 3-5 days a week and still see a dramatic difference. Don't feel down the fact is that you're still doing it. You are making a healthier mommy for those wonderful kids of yours. that is nothing to feel bad about. Get them to work out with you, make it fun do stuff like yoga or do zumba with them. it will get them moving a little, get you moving and your still all doing it together.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've seen people get crazy results from taking NO breaks, and I've seen crazy results from people who took regular breaks. Do what feels good to you, and maybe just get a walk in on your days off so you don't feel guilty for not doing 'something.'
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Ha I feel you on this - I'm doing it too and I feel totally guilty about taking a day off!

I went swimming yesterday, got a great calorie burn. So I thought, hey I guess there's no need for 30DS today.
    So I got home, sat down...and she was just STARING at me from her little box.
    Even though I had worked out already, I felt awful and so guilty so I got changed and done the bloody DVD.
    It killed me - my legs were already sore from pushing myself in the pool and then that *kitten* wanted me to do side lunges and all sorts on top of that!! :laugh:

Last night was day 4 of the DVD and it's taken me 6 days to get there - I'm going to do it every day this week but only becuse I'm going away for the weekend and my husband might not appreciate Jillian's company in our hotel room.
    Or he might.
    She is pretty damn fine lol :smokin:
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I'm repeating week two because the serving biceps kill me and I can't do the push ups with the leg raise to completion. From the bits I've seen of week 3...I'll spend more than 5 days on that, too.

You have just scared the life out of me woman!! Push up with a leg raise?!?!?!?!?! I can't even do the beginners push ups on level 1 yet! I do about 3 and then just sit there and stare at the screen until they've finished...dear lord, what have I got myself into :sad:
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    There's a podcast out there somewhere (sorry, couldn't find it at the moment) where Jillian Michaels recommends spending each week doing 2 days of 30DS, 1 day of cardio, 2 days of 30DS, 1 day of cardio, 1 day of rest. Over time, you do 30 days of shredding, but it's not in 30 consecutive days. I'm on level 1, day 5 right now. I was too scared to start at first, but when I read this, I realized that I didn't HAVE to do 30 in a row, and I didn't have to feel guilty if I have to take a day to rest. It's a very freeing feeling. Do what you can. Anything is better than nothing. You CAN do this!

THIS!

I was doing it 3 M_W_F and Lifting Tue / Sat for one week before a life issue happened and I Had to change my schedual but don't feel bad not being done in 30. I would have taken about 2-3 months to finish and we all do it at our own pace.
  • lej91
    lej91 Posts: 12
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about excercise addiction issues just yet. Maybe you're just not used to actually wanting to work out! Take advantage of this motivation and enjoy your progress (taking breaks when your body tells you too). Fear not, there will be a day when for the life of you don't freaking feel like working out. And you won't, because you've earned it :)